Real Barefoot Hiking

Well, since that other "barefoot" hiking thread seems not to know what the word "barefoot" means, I thought I'd start a new one with a picture from my hike Saturday. 12.3 miles while really booking it. Also, a marvelous opportunity to show non-barefooters just how capable bare feet can be. There's a full write-up on my blog, here: http://ahcuah.wordpress.com/2012/11/19/omearas-oventa-hike/

clearcreek08.jpg

TJ also does not want this site to discriminate and wants to be inclusive to those that wear minshoes. I think the original thread to which you are referring Ahcuah was meant for both barefoot and minshod hiking pictures...

Reactions: clawhammer72
In fact Ahcuah, here's a quote from the very first line in that post, "Post your barefoot or alternative shoe hiking adventures, pics, gear, tips & tricks, and hiking/camping/trekking/backpacking (without clunky boots) questions here!".

Reactions: BFwillie_g
Yeah, yeah, yeah. And it's under the "barefootedness" subheading. I just prefer keeping the language distinction.

And I figured that folks would jump on that instead of what you are supposedly here for: the barefoot hiking description that I referenced in the blog entry.

By the way, my tip for hiking/camping/trekking/backpacking (without clunky boots)? Just go barefoot and don't work so hard on thinking up excuses why you can't.

I don't go on day-long hiking excursions very often. Since abandoning footwear, I've hiked BF, through some woods that are part of a municipal park. It was officially a nature trail but, to me, seemed more like being off-trail, with lots of jagged rocks that were obscured by fallen leaves. If I were to go hiking for a day or such, I wouldn't hesitate to do it BF, unless the weather was cold and wet.

Yeah, yeah, yeah. And it's under the "barefootedness" subheading. I just prefer keeping the language distinction.

And I figured that folks would jump on that instead of what you are supposedly here for: the barefoot hiking description that I referenced in the blog entry.

By the way, my tip for hiking/camping/trekking/backpacking (without clunky boots)? Just go barefoot and don't work so hard on thinking up excuses why you can't.
Achuah, some of us (and I'm not speaking for anybody other than myself) like to be barefoot, but not everywhere. For me in particular, I don't like pain. If you do, great and more power to you. I know I can go barefoot most anywhere, but why the heck would I want to ruin the fun if I can wear sandals when the trail get's too rough and painful? I really like what you write a lot of the times, but I don't understand why you have to imply that the other thread is inferior.

Okay, everyone, be nice...please.

I won't speak for Ahcunah but, I definitely expected this forum to be about living barefoot. When someone started a thread titled "barefoot hiking" but then went on to talk about something very different, I was disappointed.

I really like what you write a lot of the times, but I don't understand why you have to imply that the other thread is inferior.

It's just a tip, not a ukase. (And as I've written, there are times I'll do the same as you, except with moccasins.)

There's nothing wrong with the other thread. But there is also nothing wrong with this one, for folks who want one more barefoot oriented. (Well, actually, what's wrong with this thread is that it's now been diverted.) Who says there cannot be two threads?

It's just a tip, not a ukase. (And as I've written, there are times I'll do the same as you, except with moccasins.)

There's nothing wrong with the other thread. But there is also nothing wrong with this one, for folks who want one more barefoot oriented. (Well, actually, what's wrong with this thread is that it's now been diverted.) Who says there cannot be two threads?
I think it's the word "real," which seems to imply the other not being real.

Some tips for hiking barefoot when the trail starts following a gravel road:

Walk slowly, putting your whole foot down at the same time. First, that spreads the pointy stuff over a larger area and lessens its impact. Second, it actually gives your sole the opportunity to envelope the impact and absorb it.

Look for bare spots where the gravel has been brushed away. Then step into those bare spots.

Walk off to the side. If there is a bit of a shoulder, it often has quite a bit less gravel, or it has grass growing up that
can act as a cushion. But look out for the lone sprayed piece that can bite you.

Sometimes, depending on the vegetation, you can bushwhack parallel to the road. Then just keep an eye on the road to keep from getting lost.

Ahcuah, I don't have a problem with two threads on hiking and this one being strictly for barefoot, it was the jab at the other thread that kind of irritated me. In any case, I apologize for diverting this thread.

And just so you know what part irritated me it was the "Well, since that other "barefoot" hiking thread seems not to know what the word "barefoot" means", otherwise I would have thought this a great forum post. I still do, I'll just choose to ignore that one section up there.

Ahcuah, I don't have a problem with two threads on hiking and this one being strictly for barefoot, it was the jab at the other thread that kind of irritated me. In any case, I apologize for diverting this thread.

Well, yes. I was a bit snarky (a bit? you say) starting off.

I came into a thread under Barefootedness->The Unofficial Official Hiking Thread, and saw toe shoe, toe shoe, huaraches, trail gloves, sandals, toe shoes, toe shoes, toe shoes, toe shoes, toe shoes, toe shoes, toe shoes, toe shoes, toe shoes, sandals, barefoot, sandals, barefoot. (Yes, I counted. Yes, I'm Mr. Anal. :eek: ) It was just too much for me.

Reactions: Sid
Well, yes. I was a bit snarky (a bit? you say) starting off.

I came into a thread under Barefootedness->The Unofficial Official Hiking Thread, and saw toe shoe, toe shoe, huaraches, trail gloves, sandals, toe shoes, toe shoes, toe shoes, toe shoes, toe shoes, toe shoes, toe shoes, toe shoes, toe shoes, sandals, barefoot, sandals, barefoot. (Yes, I counted. Yes, I'm Mr. Anal. :eek: ) It was just too much for me.
I understand that Ahcuah. No worries.

Yosemite was fun barefoot, but for me there was definitely spots I preferred to do in sandals or even shoes (just because at the time I didn't have any good minshoes). When we were out in the woods I went barefoot everywhere and really enjoyed it. When we got to the lava stuff though that didn't feel so good barefoot.

Yosemite was fun barefoot, but for me there was definitely spots I preferred to do in sandals or even shoes (just because at the time I didn't have any good minshoes). When we were out in the woods I went barefoot everywhere and really enjoyed it. When we got to the lava stuff though that didn't feel so good barefoot.

Back in 2006 I went to Yellowstone and did a 10-mile hike, barefoot, through the hoodoos (circle starting and ending at Mammoth Hot Springs).

clagett.jpg

The hoodoos are old, crumbling lava. I did 9 miles fine, but the 10th was a pain (and I had no backup footwear).

The next day (on Mt. Washburn) this was very soothing . . .

dunraven.jpg

Two days later I had another 10-miler to do and ended up wearing flip-flops for that--my feet just hadn't recovered enough to enjoy it otherwise. That second hike had a notable event: http://ahcuah.wordpress.com/2011/07/22/elk-and/

Reactions: Tristan-OH
Little late seeing this thread. I feel like the shoddie spectator at a race, but you're hardcore, Ahcuah! But honestly I know my feet can't handle most of that (yet), and even minimalist for me on rugged trails is tough. I've read your blogs in the past and thats some great stuff. Perhaps I'll be there someday, but first I got to just find the time to get out at all!

I like having a dedicated thread for the purists too, hope to see some more bf hiking action in the future.