Race Report IBRD '14 Burns Park Ann Arbor MI

Longboard

Chapter Presidents
May 13, 2010
This year we had an assigned spot, complete with a tall stake in the ground clearly numbered "15"
Uh, did I mention that it was THE closest spot to the separate start AND finish lines?
From the diagram I had assumed we were in the same spot as last year, so Diane and I pulled right into it. Spotting the BRS signs on our vehicle, the director quickly clarified that we had a dedicated staked out spot, and that it was a special one since they were expecting a "Big RV" as had been the case last year.
Oh well, the '05 Honda Element looked great decked out in the magnetic signs as well as banner.
Diane and I both ran the 5K barefoot, we had some good traffic at display site #15, and I was passed during mile three by a speedy barefoot 10K'er carrying minimalist shoes. I recognized him from behind instantly, because he passed me last year at about the same spot! (They run the same course twice but start ten minutes after the 5K gun)
He hung out with us last year but I never found him today, wish I could remember his name or BRS handle!
Another kid was also RWC (running while carrying), never found him either.
The star of the minimalist movement at today's race was a brand new 55 year old male Altra runner named Joe. He's only been running about a year, has only ran in Altras, but he remembers a barefoot Summer during his youth in which his feet became tough and strong.
He became inspired to take up running after reading Born to Run, and although he "gets" the barefoot thing he had never really thought of giving it a try just....'cause,....... like most people.
He's going to check out our site so who knows, maybe he'll get encouraged to try running Altra-less at least for a bit.
Oh, almost forgot... he took first place....a full minute ahead of second!!!
First year 55 year old runner clocking in on a hilly course on a windy day at 23:03?
I can't even begin to imagine what another season and a transition to shoeless for him might end up doing to the current 55-59 men's South East MI area true barefoot past race records!
The announcer was very kind in promoting the BRS as well as IBRD several times throughout the morning, and they once again thanked us for choosing their event.
Remember, this is the race that displayed our "Stomp of Approval" on their website.
While I set up the table with the book display Diane picked up our Bib/chips.
She gave me mine with the pins and pretty soon it was time to run.
We're both a bit slow and out of training following this Winter's record snowfall, but I did a lot worse than I expected. She didn't even care about her performance so I never bothered pushing through the crowd to see her time. Following the postings I wondered for at least a half an hour how I had let myself get that far behind in training this far into Spring when all of a sudden a light bulb went off.
I decided to check her result and yep..........her posted time beat mine by over four minutes!
Caught the timing guy just as he was packing up his laptop and got the switcheroo straightened out.
Pics coming soon.

Spotting the BRS signs on our vehicle, the director quickly clarified that we had a dedicated staked out spot, and that it was a special one since they were expecting a "Big RV" as had been the case last year.

Oh well, the '05 Honda Element looked great decked out in the magnetic signs as well as banner.

Sure did. Did you buy it in that color just to highlight the BRS logo?!?

Believe it or not my father purchased it for himself in May of '05 at age the age of 83. At 92 he has stopped driving so we're now taking care of it for him. Who would have guessed it would end up becoming the MI BRS mobile and in perfect matching color!!

Reactions: Barefoot TJ
Love the report, Board! Thanks for always representing well!

Reactions: Longboard
The star of the minimalist movement at today's race was a brand new 55 year old male Altra runner named Joe.

Thanks Longboard but me? A star? I'm just a noob runner & not even barefoot. Maybe if it ever gets warm I will give it a try. Totally clueless so I will have to get a book. It will have to get an e-book so my gal doesn't see it because she is not a believer & would rather not argu... discuss it with her.

Yep, I started running sometime in July 2013 & started right off with the Altra's. In Sept I started playing a pick-up game of Ultimate Sportdisk & found running 4-5 5ks a week did not get me in "Ultimate" shape & adjusted my run during the winter. I did a one mile warm-up run followed by 1-2 miles of sprints. A couple weeks ago I was able to run outside again, I did some 5Ks & was told by some running friends that my times were fast & I should do a 5K organized run.

Long story longer, that's how I met Longboard & found this site. Thanks again for mentioning me & hope to participate here when I can.

Regards.
Joe S.

Joe and his Altrasimage.jpg image.jpg

Welcome, Joe! Congrats on your win! Must be nice to find out you are a fast runner when you had no idea about it, right? Yes, please give barefooting a try, at least to help strengthen your feet if nothing else...and to feel like a child again.

On my phone the pics and the pics in the thread are right side up. I'll rotate later tonight.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7