QC Half Marathon

QC Half Marathon.jpg
Quad Cities Half Marathon
Barefoot Dama

So I did run the half marathon last Sunday. Three years ago I did "run" the full marathon and it was such a terrible experience (got hypothermic) that I blocked out everything so I went blind into the race, I couldn't remember whether the race was barefoot friendly or not. The weather was beautiful this time around it was in the low 50's at the start and clear and sunny-perfect!

So the race started right at 7:30 AM and here we go the first bridge crossing over the Mississippi, oh, oh this is not good very rough surface and not only that it was covered with lots of gravel, I was just hoping that this was the worst.

Not so quick! the entire route was just awful , all of it! Sometimes we say the route is for the most part good with few rough stretches here and there, not this one though, this was was all rough with little stretches and when I said little I mean about 20 ft of half decent surface.

Most of the race was done on a bike path that is being resurface so there was lots of broken pavement, the bike route itself is one of the toughest surfaces I have ever encounter.

There was this crossing that I have no idea what it was, bridge support? the river was under and the bridge above so we were sandwiched in between and let me tell you this was the worst yet, it was all metal waffle like but the square were open so sometimes the heel will land on the empty square and sometimes the ball of the feet did, they did lay out a piece of mat over it but it was still painful to run over it:barefoot:

So anyways, I had lots of fun none the less but I am never going to do this race BF ever again-EVER.
I really love this race the views of the Mississippi makes all worth it. Most of the course is along or over the Mississippi.

Lots of comments after the race all very positive I must say I could go into details but I don't have time right now.

My time was 1:56:37 and I got a third place trophy for my age group. Not too bad for the conditions.
The pictures are up but can't post any, I have to buy them first:happy:

Check out Dama's pictures here: http://www.marathonfoto.com/Marathon/Quad-Cities-Marathon-2014/LastName/HAUCK/BibNumber/8493/offering/myMarathonfotos/RaceOID/07502014M1/Language/en?utm_source=SilverpopMailing&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=-7 Pre-Event xE M ENG-SPA (12)

I live about 30 minutes from the Mississippi in southern Illinois. I've always loved the stretch of river nearest to me and love the area surrounding it, the Bottoms. Very fertile lowlands with scores of prehistoric establishments, including a few petroglyph sites. The river is really swift here and may be the swiftest stretch. I'd love to do a race across one of the bridges.

I live about 30 minutes from the Mississippi in southern Illinois. I've always loved the stretch of river nearest to me and love the area surrounding it, the Bottoms. Very fertile lowlands with scores of prehistoric establishments, including a few petroglyph sites. The river is really swift here and may be the swiftest stretch. I'd love to do a race across one of the bridges.
Is the QC marathon in your future?

Congratulations Dama! Sorry to hear the course was so tough, but, you made it, and with a great time too.
Thank you Moose, to be honest, I surprised myself with the time I thought for sure it was going to be a 2+ hrs run.
I never look at my garming while running I just started and stopped it and look at the results at the end but I knew I was going at a good clip( even though it didn't feel like it) when I passed the 3:50 mathon pacer and the 1:50 half marathon pacer but man oh man the metal bridge slowed me down quite a bit. Just glad I survive without any damage.:)

Now buy some pics so we can see you suffer.
Thank you Lee.
This my friend you'll never see I promise you that, pain is my friend and I hide it very well. I am very tempeted to buy the picturess so uou can see for yourself but like moose said, the prices are ridiculous.