Processed Foods

Which is what I intended to imply. Generally, those who use other people's money are less careful about using it efficiently.

or maybe uneducated?

Reactions: DNEchris
So have a cookie once in a while if it is homemade. Just stash them 5 miles from your house.:)

See, I'd try that, but I know that it wouldn't work. It should be "Just stash them 5 miles from your house, hide the keys to the truck and the motorcycle, saw all of your bicycles in half with a hacksaw, threaten your housemates if they ever offer to give you a lift and cut off your legs and mail them to Peru." That'd probably keep me out of the cookies :D

Reactions: Barefoot Dama
It is apparent that these cookies hold great power over you. Are they the Girl Scout Thin Mints? So, we must embrace the fact that you are not going to give them up. Therefore, just reduce some other bad calories in your diet to offset the cookie damage. I do this with a certain bubbly beverage that I enjoy. In the winter when I can't burn off the calories, I just starve myself of other food whether good or bad. Priorities you know.

See, I'd try that, but I know that it wouldn't work. It should be "Just stash them 5 miles from your house, hide the keys to the truck and the motorcycle, saw all of your bicycles in half with a hacksaw, threaten your housemates if they ever offer to give you a lift and cut off your legs and mail them to Peru." That'd probably keep me out of the cookies :D
You obviously need more people in your house to fight over the cookies with. Anyways, that's what happens here. Or maybe it's only me fighting over the cookies and others giving me what I want? Nobody likes to see me cookie-deprived.

Reactions: Tristan-OH
Hello Running Pirate,
what's the problem with eating homemade cookies? The calories or the "junk food" components (i.e. white flour, white sugar, chocolate chips with sugar and weird fats...)?
In my experience, the craving is accentuated by the junk ingredients, even if they are homemade.
Cookies made from wholegrain flour, raw cane sugar (or honey), organic eggs, real butter (as opposed to hydrogenated oils) and crushed Walnuts in place of chocolate chips are also delicious, have also lots of calories, but they are not junk food and the craving does not go on and on and on. And even if you should eat the whole lot, your body will be happy to use these good carbs, good fats and good proteins! :)

Reactions: dutchie53

Should you be seeking the cookies anonymous support group?

Cookies made from wholegrain flour, raw cane sugar (or honey), organic eggs, real butter (as opposed to hydrogenated oils) and crushed Walnuts in place of chocolate chips are also delicious, have also lots of calories, but they are not junk food and the craving does not go on and on and on. And even if you should eat the whole lot, your body will be happy to use these good carbs, good fats and good proteins! :)
Huh, I may have to try that tonight only I would leave out the walnuts and use raisins or something like that.

You just need to start baking - not only do you get to control the ingredients, you can offset a few calories properly beating the butter & sugar & then you get to look generous by sharing them out (no need to tell anyone this is just a move to stop you scoffing the lot yourself). (Me sign up for cookie eaters anonymous? But I can stop anytime I like...)

Oh, and as for the transition, there's two things for me. I gave up E numbers (ermm, don't think they translate over the pond? Most additives are given a code here) after reading a scary article in a magazine I trust - I honestly had photocopies dotted around all over, so I could read it whenever temptation struck. The other thing requires making the change & then slipping back. I'm at this stage with intermittent fasting at the moment - I know I'm not feeling as good as when I fast, it is a bit of a mental hurdle to get back into it, but I'm confident that concentrating on how I feel now & how much better I could feel will get me back on track.

Reactions: Hobbit
Hello Running Pirate,
what's the problem with eating homemade cookies? The calories or the "junk food" components (i.e. white flour, white sugar, chocolate chips with sugar and weird fats...)?
In my experience, the craving is accentuated by the junk ingredients, even if they are homemade.
What?! Replace the chocolate chips?!

Reactions: Sid
And instead of flour, you could use cauliflower and add 2 scoops of whey, and use ghee or coconut oil instead of butter, and you get to keep the chocolate chips in this recipe...
munkeychews.blogspot.com/2013/05/cauliflower-chocolate-chip-protein.html

Okay, all this cookie talk is making me hungry... Though, homemade is way too much work for me. I bought a few boxes of Nestle cookies at the Target bakery for work and one for my wife. No worries, I only have cookies a few times a year anyway. I used to be able to polish off about a dozen, before getting a sugar high / gonna die feeling, but now my tastes have changed.

Reactions: happysongbird
I haven't ate a cookie in several years.... I forgot them until I read this thread....I don't think I'm missing much really. I do eat chocolate almost every day though...much better than a cookie.

Generally I gave up processed foods at home about 2.5 years ago but I just go with the flow when visiting family and friends or when dining out. No reason to make a fuss about it when other people are around.

Reactions: happysongbird
I'm at this stage with intermittent fasting at the moment - I know I'm not feeling as good as when I fast, it is a bit of a mental hurdle to get back into it, but I'm confident that concentrating on how I feel now & how much better I could feel will get me back on track.

I've been Intermittent fasting for at least 25 years, I didn't know there was a name for it till last year...its perfectly natural as long as you don't have to try too hard to do it....its what I do without trying....I would have to try to not do it.

It is apparent that these cookies hold great power over you. Are they the Girl Scout Thin Mints? So, we must embrace the fact that you are not going to give them up. Therefore, just reduce some other bad calories in your diet to offset the cookie damage. I do this with a certain bubbly beverage that I enjoy. In the winter when I can't burn off the calories, I just starve myself of other food whether good or bad. Priorities you know.

Well, they aren't any specific cookie...just anything that's cookie-shaped, though I'd do morally questionable things for a good chocolate chip cookie (and not much less for a bad chocolate chip cookie, but that's for another thread :D)

Reactions: rickwhitelaw
Hello Running Pirate,

OK, it's funny you bring this up. Just today a friend brought me lunch from a veg/vegan place in Berkeley (imagine that!). Dessert was a brownie and a blondie. I took the blondie knowing how I am around chocolate, but when offered, I had a bit of the brownie. Not bad at all. Not too sweet, bu I also didn't have that "OK, now let's have 10 more" effect that I normally do w/baked goods...but then again, the baked goods I've had to date have all been white flower, white sugar (or brown, choco chips w/sugar, etc...not unprocessed ingredients...

Should you be seeking the cookies anonymous support group?

It's called Overeaters Anonymous, actually. Hi, my name is RunningPirate... :) Admittedly, I stopped going when I realized I had to give up cookies, because screw that :D (Hell, I gave up booze already, haven't done any drugs in years and I've been weaning myself off of coffee....I'm pretty much down to impure thoughts :D )

Reactions: Barefoot Dama
It's called Overeaters Anonymous, actually. Hi, my name is RunningPirate... :) Admittedly, I stopped going when I realized I had to give up cookies, because screw that :D (Hell, I gave up booze already, haven't done any drugs in years and I've been weaning myself off of coffee....I'm pretty much down to impure thoughts :D )

Sure bout this? the way you behave and all makes one wonder:D

Reactions: DNEchris and NickW
You just need to start baking - not only do you get to control the ingredients, you can offset a few calories properly beating the butter & sugar & then you get to look generous by sharing them out (no need to tell anyone this is just a move to stop you scoffing the lot yourself). (Me sign up for cookie eaters anonymous? But I can stop anytime I like...)

OK, FWIW, I'm baking "natural" energy bars (ostensibly for the Livestrong Davis ride, but not sure if they'll make it to see Sunday :D ) Oats, banana, dates, almonds and some vanilla...and the house smells wooooonnnndderfulllll Basically, trying to see if I can find a viable alternative to Clif Bars...

What?! Replace the chocolate chips?!
Well, if you are chocolate-addict, you could try to replace the chocolate chips with pure unsugared cocoa - that way you still get your favorite drug with its nice effects on neuronal synapses but without the junk (white sugar, fats, additives etc.) you would find in ordinary chocolate (chips or otherwise). :)