Podiatric Fool

Longboard

Chapter Presidents
May 13, 2010
Board, I just got off the

Board, I just got off the phone with my mom. She knows I've been barefoot running for the past couple of years, and she knows I've preferred to be barefoot while I could growing up. What does she say to me? "I'm a germ aphobe. What about all the germs on the ground? I don't like walking around on the filthy ground." Now, she's 75, so be kind. Do you have any links I can point her in to show her the light? Because she is 75, it will be difficult to teach this old dog (no disrespect, mom) new tricks, but let's try anyway.

At 75 your Mom is still

At 75 your Mom is still teachable!

At a New Years dinner we attended last night there were 27 people, including my 89 year old father.

When one celebrant explained to her new SO that I run races barefoot, he asked me what I knew about the Z-coil shoes.

After a few words, my father interjected with: "That's completly the opposite of what they now know about shock to joints, right?"

Only this spring he was convinced that heel-toe, heel toe was the correct way to walk, race walk, and run.

I showed him several on-line articles citing the works of Lieberman et al, and after a few days he finaly got it.

I think Dr. Howell's "The Barefoot Book" does an excellent job of de-bunking the germ related concerns without getting too scientific or lengthy.

You should have a copy shipped to her directly from Amazon, since most people her age are more likely to read a basic book like that than follow links to web sites.

Besides, she should see the fifty reasons to go barefoot Dr. Howell illuminates!

Actually, my mom is very

Actually, my mom is very stubborn and old-fashioned. She's like a boulder, unmovable. She collects books and doesn't read them but spends most of her time browsing the Internet. Do you have any links for her at all?

Thanks for posting that

Thanks for posting that interview over here, Abide. It doesn't show up for me automatically, since I am not a member of that chapter. ;-) I added my comment to that post. Mark and his friend did an excellent job of representing barefoot and minimalist running. I like the anchor at the end saying he'd try it...although on grass and dirt, not pavement--boy do we have our work cut out. Here's my comment on Mark's post:

The poor old doc probably gave up on running some time ago when he started to develop knee pain from his boat anchor running shoes.

Barefoot TJ wrote: She

Barefoot TJ said:
She collects books and doesn't read them but spends most of her time browsing the Internet. Do you have any links for her at all?

A good starting point:

http://barefooters.org/medicine/

Outstanding, Board.  I knew

Outstanding, Board. I knew you had an arsenal. I'm forwarding this onto her now.

Excellent too, Board.  I'll

Excellent too, Board. I'll share here and send this onto my poor ole momma. She's just going to love me.
Q13: What about catching diseases?Athlete's Foot (fungus): The following is an excerpt from a Dermatology Insights (vol. 3, no. 1, Spring 2002) article on athlete's foot by the American Academy of Dermatology: Athlete's foot does not occur among people who traditionally go barefoot. It's moisture, sweating and lack of proper ventilation of the feet that present the perfect setting for the fungus of athlete's foot to grow. [Full text]
Therefore, by going barefoot, the perspiration from your feet evaporates just like it does from the rest of your body; your feet then remain cool and dry in the open air. The fungus can not survive under these conditions. As a result, going barefoot will most likely cure athlete's foot.
Hookworm (parasite): This is almost entirely confined to tropical, third-world countries where people habitually walk in soil contaminated by the excrement of infected humans and domestic animals. In the 1940s, hookworm occurred in some regions of the southern USA but has largely disappeared even there thanks to improved sanitation. The chance of getting hookworm from barefoot hiking on trails in a temperate region such as North America or Europe is very small. Hookworm is easily treatable with vermifuges such as tetrachloroethylene: its prevalence in tropical regions is largely a matter of public health, due to poor sanitation and lack of access to medical facilities.

Ringworm (fungus: this has nothing to do with worms — it's a misnomer): The same text about Athlete's Foot applies for ringworm. (Additionally, one can get it anywhere on one's body.)

BTW, I cut and pasted this

BTW, I cut and pasted this here and didn't have to mess with the text or anything to get it to look right. I have got to find the time to troubleshoot this kind of stuff.

The first link notes that the

The first link notes that the last update of medical literature was in 2001.

The SBL has become prety stagnant, except for it's well written fairly new blog.

Robert Neinast does a good job there, I will post some health links for there in a minute.

Abide wrote:And this

Abide said:

I saw the cross post in the "other" joint, and responded there with this.

For those of you that don't bother to hang out there anymore (why go Classic when Nouveau clearly rules!?)

Here it is:

Dr. C. Jon Beecroft is a podiatrist in practice in Awatukee.
I know nothing of his reputation as a podiatric physician and surgeon,
but do want to point out the following:

The doc is busy in the trenches, delivering health care as is taught , is probably not a runner,
and knows relatively nothing regarding the current barefoot and minimalist running revolution.
That's fairly typical for someone in full time practice.
This is the same throughout the various medical specialties, so no real surprise there.
The modern day barefoot runner knows enough not to consult with a randam podiatrist or orthopedic surgeon, and instead seeks out advice from others more knowledgable, frequently on-line.
One problem with that is they also may be subjected to mis-information distributed by un-qualified individuals.
In this day and age of rapidly changing truths, it's best to avail one's self of all information on a subject, before then seeking out TRUE expert information.
The Barefoot Runner's Society actually maintains a list of podiatrists that are open to or accept the concept of barefoot running!
This is a tremendous step forward in this information age, and represents the future of medical knowledge disemination and care.
Dr. Beecroft was obviously approached by a local T.V. network affiliate as an "expert", and vanity combined with a free marketing opportunity allowed for him to comment on a subject he knew nothing about.
Surprising?
Not at all.
The majority of "experts" we see on local media clearly are'nt.
Even the "true" experts in their fields are frequently proven wrong, why give more than one debunking grain of salt to a local "expert"?

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test