People's reactions when you run

10373476_10152664785403795_2361996694935892169_n.jpg

my last test before xmas break. they were shocked to see me in shoes so they posted this to FB. it was clinic so i was required. vivobf ultras. $35. they're ok. also got some lems 9-5 in black and some ra's in oxblood suede that look nice for casual nights out. whenever that may happen.

The past two weeks I ran just about every day in four different Florida towns. One day in Key West there were two giant cruise ships in port, and every tour bus and Conch Train tour had every seat filled.
One Conch Train driver to his passengers:
" If you look to your right you'll see a guy jogging in bare feet"

I thought of that.....you need an annual license though. Craziest thing is Key West used to be a barefoot kind of place back in the day. Not any more.

I went around lake Merritt today! A lady finishing her run stopped to cross the street and noticed my bare feet so she looked at me and said "oh my!" and then looked at my feet again. I smiled at her and she smiled back. I ran into some other neighbors who remarked that I was barefoot so I stopped to explain that it was good for my legs and my new "thing". They felt they couldn't do it and I told them it took some conditioning before I could do it myself.

I hope I don't have to register as a potential traffic hazard. A driver of a big dirt hauling truck went by at about 25 mph and he stared out of his left at me as he went by for about a second! Luckily there weren't any pedestrians or other traffic near him! I had ankle length black tights on so it was pretty clear to people that I was barefoot.

Maybe he just thought you were cute?

I got the standard "Put some shoes on!" shout from some high-school kids as I ran past them this afternoon. About 10 minutes later, I had "Good job!" shouted at me from a passing car -- the driver was one of my neighbors who is a (shod) runner. It's only I haven't heard any sort of commentary in over 6 months of running that today's two callouts seemed unusual.

During this morning's run, I passed a small group who were chatting as they walked along the street. Once I was a few yards in front of them, one of the ladies gasped and said "o~~mi~~gawwd!!! He~~~~'s bare~~foot!!!" (Imagine an excited and worried tremolo in her voice.) I didn't look back but I could imagine her hands slapping her cheeks!!

Let me know when you are coming - maybe we could meet up.

Ok. Going to NY this week for a meeting on Wednesday. But after living in Oakland CA for almost 30 years has thinned my blood. BF running is alluring but temperatures in NY might be too severe for me. Most days here I feel that low 40s is COLD COLD! In my youth, I did test the snow with my bare feet so the sensations would probably not be totally alien. Do you run BF everyday?

Ok. Going to NY this week for a meeting on Wednesday......... Do you run BF everyday?
Drop me a line.
My barefooting is mostly confined to the period between April and late November though I have run at least a few miles barefoot in every month for the last 4+ years. With the forecast temperatures and projected windspeed for the upcoming week I can just about guarantee I'll be wearing my Samsons for each and every run :)
Rug up well - it is going to be a cool week in NYC!

Saw my first barefoot runner today (ok he wasn't skin to ground, but he was using minimalist sandals). Unfortunately I was driving along the opposite side of the road to him so my own reaction of 'YES - Good Man!' was heard only by the interior of my car...
Wish I'd been on foot. Would've liked to have been able to offer him some more positive acknowledgement.

Running around my .936 mile pond loop, I see the same people a few times on any given run. Today, someone spoke longingly of how great that looked, but bemoaned that they had arthritis. I called back that it might help them to be barefoot!

In other news, one of my daughters was telling me about going to college Spanish class barefoot. The professor frequently uses the pre-class time to engage the students in Spanish conversations. She was part way into talking to my girl, when she interjected, "Did you know you are barefoot?" My daughter, who goes to class barefoot most of the time, thought this was an odd questions, but the prof soon explained that she had a previous student show up accidentally without shoes once, because she was late and forgot to put them on!

WOW, this thread has 33,499 views and 33 pages! You guys are awesome!