People's reactions when you run

In a recent 5K race there were cries of "alright barefoot".
But lately I've been more pleased to note that my running friends seldom mention
the fact that I have bare feet and are more apt to just say congratulations if I run
a good race. I no longer feel like the odd guy who runs a good time "in spite of being
barefoot".:)

s-exercise.png

Funniest one for me was about 5 weeks ago in a golf tournament. I had just come out of the clubhouse after having lunch, had to wear my flip flops in the club house. As I got to the first tee I announced it was time for me to put on my golf shoes. I took off my flip flops, threw them in the back of the golf cart and stepped up on the first tee. As I was the first to tee off the tournament organizer said,"hey where's your shoes?". About 5-7 people replied at the same time that I was wearing them. Most of my buddies from work that I golf with have accepted the fact that I do everything barefoot, and they have more fun then I do when people we don't know ask me about my "golf shoes". :D

Funniest one for me was about 5 weeks ago in a golf tournament. I had just come out of the clubhouse after having lunch, had to wear my flip flops in the club house. As I got to the first tee I announced it was time for me to put on my golf shoes. I took off my flip flops, threw them in the back of the golf cart and stepped up on the first tee. As I was the first to tee off the tournament organizer said,"hey where's your shoes?". About 5-7 people replied at the same time that I was wearing them. Most of my buddies from work that I golf with have accepted the fact that I do everything barefoot, and they have more fun then I do when people we don't know ask me about my "golf shoes". :D
That is so great!

Trotting down to work this morning I saw an elderly, "heavyset", woman pushing her Zimmer frame laden with groceries and heard the immortal words:

"Ya really oughta get some shoes"

The wifey had obvious, and significant, bunions on both big toes and seemed to be limping on both legs. Shoes had surely helped her :eek:

So there I was. Just finishing up a 9 mile run on Fire Island (90 minutes from Manhattan to the ferry terminal and then a 30 minute ride to the island) when an older guy, who was walking toward me, calls out "I see you on Madison all the time!"

There is no escape!

No more anonymity once you become a barefooter anything.

Yup, Cris is a living legend out that way. ;)
Living in a highly populated area I guess I have more chance to overhear comments - like this morning's beauty.

I'd just left my apartment building to run to work when I ran through a group of neighbours chatting on the street. We normally exchange "Good mornings" as I trot by and this morning was no exception. There must have been a new guy in the group as I heard this as I was a few yards past them:

"That n*ggah barefoot?"

"Yep"

"He's gotta be f*ckin' crazy!"

I laughed - whilst my neighbours defended my sanity.

Good one yesterday:

I ran by a guy walking the paved trail around Valley Forge Park. He looked up as I passed and said "That takes guts!' I called back "No, just sole! It helps to be a bit crazy too."

BTW, that trail is smooth as a babies bottom, and doesn't take all that much toughness.

The other day I came home from a 10 K run. A the entrance of my village I met an elderly woman (well, make that "a woman of my own age group" :D) who was just coming out of her door. I said "Bon jour" . She said "Bon jour Madame", then saw my feet and gave me a disapproving look. I suppose she must have talked about that to her husband, because a couple of days later he came quickly out of the door when I was running by. He answered my greeting and said immediately afterwards with a big smile: "And you are barefoot - that's excellent! Have a good run!" :)
I got the distinct impression that he would love to be barefoot as well but his wife forbids it...

A couple of weeks ago my wife and I went to Vermont for a short vacation and did some hiking. One day I was wearing a T-shirt which says "Hike Naked" on it. We passed a few other hikers during the day and I got more comments on my shirt than on my bare feet. My favorite though was a guy who asked "Is hiking barefoot the first step toward hiking naked?"
I said "Well, it's certainly a start!"

Tom and Cindy Hiking-1.jpg

I got the distinct impression that he would love to be barefoot as well but his wife forbids it...
Even if his wife decided to grant him her approval, I'll bet he'd still be chicken!
One survey a few years ago came to the conclusion that 40% of Americans would go barefoot in public if it were socially acceptable. 40%!!!!!!

Even if his wife decided to grant him her approval, I'll bet he'd still be chicken!
One survey a few years ago came to the conclusion that 40% of Americans would go barefoot in public if it were socially acceptable. 40%!!!!!!
That is a very interesting statistic.

Reactions: dharmadan

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS

Latest posts