Nothing is carved stone.

mac,

maf training is a long term investment than can take a while to see a pay off. some of us take longer than others. it's hard to go slow at first. after a year or two and it's hard to run at that pace. i'm still waiting for that to happen.

I'm in the eye of the Maff/Garmin -- Jason/Bare Lee, Faster-is-Better Hurricane, which is awesome. I don't have to buy a garmin, so I save money. I can run fast or slow, and either way, I can justify it depending on my mood. Keep the debate going and keep changing sides. That way I never have to decide. :D

Reactions: Bare Lee and Sid
Okay, nice! Finally got my second strap-on device. It's refurbished and looks like it could be in relatively new condition. Though, one can never tell. So I wiped it down with rubbing alcohol to try to remove any biologicals from the last user. This one feels kind of big and heavy compared to my other one. It almost makes me feel kind of puny. Not sure that I'll be able to handle it, but hopefully I'll adjust!

Reactions: Bare Lee
I dropped out of that debate a long time ago. To each his own. I think Mike's experience speaks for itself.

A sure way to achieve immortality.
The debate refers to Barefoot Gentile, but I guess it's all happening in my head. I'll send you all an invite to the party someday. When I first contemplated Maf and HR Monitors, his posts of just running without gadgets were enough to sideline that pursuit until Jason began his pursuit of speed posts. Then your Kenyan--Begin Fast posts backed it all up. Now Barefoot Gentile is going back to hardware. It's just funny.

Funny thing since I made this ridiculous post is I still haven't broke out the garmin yet. I've realized I am way to old to be criticizing running gadgets and gloating my methods of running on the internet.
See! Keep it up. Eye of the storm, baby....:D

BG, you've never come across as gloating to me. Just experienced. And that has always been helpful. Come and go as you please, of course, but don't disappear.

Okay, nice! Finally got my second strap-on device. It's refurbished and looks like it could be in relatively new condition. Though, one can never tell. So I wiped it down with rubbing alcohol to try to remove any biologicals from the last user. This one feels kind of big and heavy compared to my other one. It almost makes me feel kind of puny. Not sure that I'll be able to handle it, but hopefully I'll adjust!

My understanding is that the strap itself makes all the difference in the user experience. If it's too tight, you're likely to have no end of discomfort. Too loose, and you just don't achieve the appropriate feedback. Be sure to lubricate properly, or the sensors fail to register at all, making the entire experience unsatisfying. :)

My understanding is that the strap itself makes all the difference in the user experience. If it's too tight, you're likely to have no end of discomfort. Too loose, and you just don't achieve the appropriate feedback.
Definitely, the 305 is a clunker! Had it rattling around on my right wrist for half the run. Tighten, loosen, then swapped it over to the left, which made it more tolerable. The left is where I wear the Nike GPS, and I switched that over to the right. I felt bit dorky at first with two watches, then it was all about the running.
Be sure to lubricate properly, or the sensors fail to register at all, making the entire experience unsatisfying. :)
I used bodyglide, because it was warm today, and I knew I'd be sweating. Is there somewhere else I should lube on myself or the watch? Oh wait, you're referring to the chest strap. I know what you mean, as I have an old HR strap that I'd moistion with water. Though, I don't wear the chest strap while running anymore. Two GPS watches is plenty of gear for me!

Definitely, the 305 is a clunker! Had it rattling around on my right wrist for half the run. Tighten, loosen, then swapped it over to the left, which made it more tolerable. The left is where I wear the Nike GPS, and I switched that over to the right. I felt bit dorky at first with two watches, then it was all about the running.

I used bodyglide, because it was warm today, and I knew I'd be sweating. Is there somewhere else I should lube on myself or the watch? Oh wait, you're referring to the chest strap. I know what you mean, as I have an old HR strap that I'd moistion with water. Though, I don't wear the chest strap while running anymore. Two GPS watches is plenty of gear for me!

Oh...you're talking about a WRIST strap-on...never mind.

Reactions: dutchie53 and Sid
The debate refers to Barefoot Gentile, but I guess it's all happening in my head.

The MAF debate is/was real, but my participation in it was mostly asking why? why? why?

Why do you think running slower is going to make your run faster?
Why don't any of the serious competitive runners/trainers do this?
Why would you do something you don't enjoy for recreation?

I'll send you all an invite to the party someday

Let me know if I can bring something. I could whip up some delectable dollops of delusion or bring a batch of distraction--my specialties.

It's just funny.

Speaking from my vast experience of sporadic, occasionally consistent, and half-assed recreational running, I would say never let anyone tell you to run slower or faster than you want to, use a gadget that diminishes your enjoyment, or not use one that tickles your fancy. You're exactly right to follow your mood. I kind of stumbled on the endurance (LSD)/stamina (Tempo)/speed (Intervals) threesome, and it's been a lot of fun so far, just have to manage the petty jealousies than inevitably arise a bit, that's all.

But yeah, we're all free to change our minds, post reactive comments, and stimulate discussion with absolutist statements we're willing to back down from at the first challenge. We're barefoot runners after all, and nothing is carved stone. People think we're hardcore badasses, but we're really just fun-loving nut cases.