no barefoot hiking?

soturi

Barefooters
Jan 9, 2011
why no barefoot hiking section? does nobody move weight cross-country barefoot around here??

seriously though... i haven't because while i'm convinced our feet were designed to run barefoot, i'm not so sure our feet were designed to carry much more than our bodyweight barefoot. and i can't afford to screw up my feet on an experiment at this particular juncture in my life.

anybody w/ experience?

I think a lot of us hike

I think a lot of us hike barefoot. It's fine! However, I've been packing flip flops or huaraches when I hike barefoot. Sometimes, when I get to places where locals come and drink, there will be a lot of broken glass. And I mean a LOT. On the road, I can see it. On the trail, not so much. I'm in New England, and the granite can be pretty rough sometimes, so the flippy floppies come in handy.

I've done a bit of barefoot

I've done a bit of barefoot hiking...It's difficult out in the rocky areas but I'm pretty determined to condition my feet this summer to the point where I can go barefoot everywhere. I'd LOVE to barefoot hike more often, especially in more wooded areas and on pine needles...fantastic feeling, that.

I use moccasins out in stony areas around Boulder, CO. I don't worry about carrying too much because I only do day hikes - a bottle of water and a few snacks in the knapsack. I heard about 2 sisters who hiked the whole of the Appalachian trail barefoot.

Yes full backpack overnight

Yes full backpack overnight hiking BF is fine. Just have to condition your feet. Link below is the girls Mary is referring to. I hope to buy this book soon......... http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0811735303/ref=cm_cr_asin_lnk

I frequently hike barefoot.

I frequently hike barefoot. I thought about making a pic thread or something like that but hiking related. I have a few hikes in my blog that I hiked barefoot.

The same thing actually

The same thing actually crossed my mind, but I guess my questions been answered. Obviously you can hike barefoot, hiking is just walking on stuff thats actually fun to walk on (if you've never been barefoot hiking, you've never been hiking at all. Such a different experience.) Backpacking seems like it would present a lot more challenges, but I guess you could just get your feet used to bearing extra weight.

I know the thread is a bit

I know the thread is a bit old but hey!

I have been barefoot hiking for years. It is one of my favourite things to do!

I have recently returned from the mountains of northern India. I have hiked the Inca Trail, The Annapurna Sanctuary, Roraima in Venezuela, Torres Del Paine in Chile, Table Mountain in South Africa and many more trecks all over the World. I am convinced that barefoot is the best way to hike although it is more difficult with a pack! Quieter, less path erosion, better for the whole body and more in tune with the environment.

A guide, author and lecturer in Peru thanked me for proving that the Inca Trail could be hiked barefoot and without injury as it was assumed that is how the ancient Incas did it but he had never seen it actually done before.

Quote:Yes full backpack

Yes full backpack overnight hiking BF is fine. Just have to condition your feet. Link below is the girls Mary is referring to. I hope to buy this book soon......... http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0811735303/ref=cm_cr_asin_lnk

Oh.. thanks for posting that link to that book. I will be getting it for the Kindle to read on my next plane flight. I've got a bicycle tour coming up next year (Vancouver, B.C. to Los Angeles) and I've been thinking that perhaps working towards a barefoot "tour" from Los Angeles to San Diego (maybe?) as another vacation option. :) Good to know that others have done this kind of thing.

Sounds lovely, Footloose.

Sounds lovely, Footloose.

Hike from LA to SD?  Now I'm

Hike from LA to SD? Now I'm homesick again. Thanks, Linus. (I was born in LA and raised in SD, and I miss home terribly.) I would join you if I could.