New guy in China

Caveman Athlete

Barefooters
Sep 23, 2014
But I'm not chinese.

Im from the USA but I've been living in China for about three years. Firstly I'd like to thank the mods for letting me have a membership here and I'd like to thank the people here, I have read a ton of great stuff here before I got an account.

I have been pseudo barefooting (minimalist) for awhile now, maybe about 2009, as much as I'd like to go barefoot, China isnt the right place for it, people spit and theres more trash than usual on the ground here.

Several years ago, I was a pretty serious trithlete and ultra runner, I did lots of Ironman triathlons and Ultras but sort of got out of it and got into the gym sort of thing. After awhile I got really turned off by the standard gym thing and decided to do my own thing by buying the stuff I needed to train in a useful way that was conducive to my sport and my idea of caveman training (endurance, strength, mobility, simplicity). I got a barbell and about 500lbs of weights and several kettlebells, I have been out of the gym thing for a few years now and am stronger than ever all while still being able to run well.

My true love though is martial arts, Brazillian Jiu Jitsu and Muay Thai howvever, Im 35 now so while I stil lcompete in BJJ, the Muay thai thing is just for working out, fun and to hang out with friends, I'm too old now to get kicked in the head.

Anyways, its nice to be here!!!

Hi Caveman, glad to have you here! :barefoot:

My 8-year old son got his green belt last night. He and my oldest, 11-year old son, take mixed martial arts; he recently got his blue belt. They do taekwondo, jiu jitsu, and Olympic style boxing. My oldest does tournaments too. I put them in MMA because of some bullying my oldest was going through. There's a lot of good character building that goes on with MMA, as you know, but mostly, I want them to be able to take care of themselves.

Welcome Caveman. I've always wanted to live in China

Reactions: Phil Hart
Greetings! I've been to S(including a life-threatening bicycle tour) and lived in Taiwan for a few months. Once in a while I get to go back with my husband on business trips. It has all been experiences I am so glad of. I am still trying to learn Mandarin with a tutor. :)

Welcome, Caveman. Good judgment usually comes from repeatedly surviving the exercise of poor judgment. Glad to have you with us. My fitness program is very similar to yours, although I never went down the gym road. The Army put me on a "use what you've got wherever you are" fitness mentality early on.

And Mike - Amen, brother!

Reactions: migangelo
Welcome!