New 5k PR!

Tristan

Barefooters
Sep 15, 2011
Ohio
Ran in my town's 5k race this morning that I've run many times now. Every single year I've run it I have increased my speed. Last year I didn't enter, so this is the first 5k I've run since I ran the same one in 2013 where I broke 20 minutes for the first time barefoot. Since then I've only run 10k's and up. And I hadn't really trained at all this year, just going on and running whatever. I did just a few interval type workout back in spring, maybe 4 or 5 is all. Anyhow I crushed my best time today with 18:59 finish and 6:07 avg pace. And a first place finish (it was very small turnout, only about a dozen people so not very competitive). Afterward attended the festival that was going on this weekend, enjoyed probably one of the best bbq pork chops I've ever had and a funnel cake (I know, probably the worse possible thing one can consume lol). And now enjoying one of two remaining beers I've been cellaring... Dogfish Head's Palo Santo Marron, aged in Paraguayan handmade wooden tanks. Bottled on 12/19/12 but at 12% alcohol it cellars great.

Sorry no race pics this time, they don't even have online results. So I'll just leave you with this heavy hitter...
IMG_1274-720.JPG
Cheers!

Very impressive! Congrats! Have long have you been training for the pork chop and funnel cake challenge? :D

I've already started my training for next years event! I actually went back and got a couple more to go for leftovers (just the bbq, not funnel cake). Honestly its better than most meals from a steakhouse and probably cheaper.

Happy to report the legs seem fine after this one. A little tightness as to be expected, but nothing bad. I went out on the road bike briefly yesterday to exercise them a little but still giving them a couple days off from running.

Reactions: Sid
Congrats!

Reactions: Tristan-OH
Fantastic!
Have you consider trying to BQ? If you keep running at that speed I have no doubt you can get there.

Reactions: Tristan-OH
Fantastic!
Have you consider trying to BQ? If you keep running at that speed I have no doubt you can get there. .

Thanks! But last I checked Boston was a bit longer than a 5k :p
Seriously, my pace slows way down over long distances, and with the limited amount of training time I have I can't properly train for a marathon. Both of my marathons I've run hurt me real bad... strained or partly tore my right achilles last year... and still I'm like way behind BQ time I think, probably 40+ minutes to slow and that is no small difference. Getting 40+ miles in a week is practically impossible working 12 hour shift with 1hr drive each way. Some weeks I work 72hrs. Some weeks I run maybe once lol. And most days I have off I have my son and he is not quite old enough yet for me to leave him and go out for a long run. This summer while he's been out of school I've been lucky to get 20 miles per week. But this year has been especially busy with doing major renovations to my house all myself. I've got the desire and ability to run long, just not enough time! I'm actually quite surprised this year that I made any PR's so I am very excited that I have.