New 10k PR!

The Ramzev

Chapter Presidents
Jun 14, 2010
Milford, DE
I ran the Dogfish Dash on Sunday morning, start and finish at the Dogfish Head brewery. I felt good going in, my goal was under 7:24 paces to get a new PR. I finished at 45:09 (7:17 pace), full data below. My favorite stat is the 5k splits, 22:34 for the first and 22:35 for the second. means I kept a noce steady pace for the entire 10k. very competitive though, I was 66 overall and 25 in my AG.

dogfish results.JPG

Thanks. It was in town so roads were all paved, except for about 100 feet of rock that we had to go over 3 times; 0.5, 2.5 and 5.5 mile. This is one of my favorite races of the year, it's a fun race with lots of free Dogfish at the after party.

Nice Job Ram. If I had a brewery at the end of my races, maybe I could PR one.;) Seriously though, I think having a steady pace like yours is key to getting a good time. Mine are all over the place. Slow start, pick it up in the end, little bursts of speed during the race to pass, slow downs for rougher surfaces, etc. Did you start out fast? If so, what was your warm up like.

I'm fairly certain that when I look at my splits for the race my first and last miles will be fastest, first because I started out at ~7:00 pace and last because of a fast finish, so start and finish evened out the overall splits.

I did a 1 mile warm-up jog @~8:00 pace. I finished a bit faster because at 0.5 I turned around at the firestation and they were scrambling ambulances to the brewery. About 1/2 way back they blew by me. When I got back they were giving a lady chest compression, very scary to see. A couple minutes later she started screaming which at the time was a good sign, at least she was alive. I found out later that she had actually flat lined 3 times, they had retrieved a defibulator from the brewery before the ambulance got there, that saved her life; from what I hear she is ok, they are trying to figure out the problem. She's in her mid 60's runs a lot of local races.

Wow. That's a story. I hope she is ok. I was an EMT for 15 years and reviving someone is extremely rare out in the field. It is not like the TV shows. You always hate to see runners having struggles.

Ok. So you were fast right out of the start. This is my problem. It takes me a few miles to warm up and of course in a shorter race, it's over. Now, I am not very competitive and will never place in a race, but I would like to work on my times in the future. I've only been entering races for 2 1/2 years and have spent 2 years figuring out my injuries so I am still a race newb. Warming up is a problem at many races, especially if it involves a bus ride.

Sweet times!
Congrats on the PR =)
It feels good...

Awesome, Ram! Congrats!

That is so awesome!!
Congrats!

Never heard of the Dogfish Dash, but that sounds awesome. I could definitely set a PR with some 90 minute waiting at the finish line.

Regarding even splits, I just ran my best approximation in the Pittsburgh Great Race on Sunday. First 5K in 24:03, second in 24:01. Also got within 4 seconds of my goal. And I wasn't even wearing a watch!

Fine job, Ram! The key to that kind of performance is the warmup, I believe. There's no way I can imagine revving up to race speed from a cold start. Nice, even splits!

I'm running my first road 10K in 3 weeks, so I will see what it feels like. I'll also be running it BF, making it a double first. In 2 weeks I have a trail 10K which is actually 6.38 miles. Trail runs don't compare well, so I'll wait for the road race to report.

Dogfish is one of my favs! 60 Minute, though. The 90 is too thick (not to mention pricey!)

Great job! Thats faster than my 10k PR, but I have yet to do 10 barefoot. Based on my last 5k times though I think I could be around there, but hard to tell since I was so freakin spent by the end that not only did I not sprint at the end, I was actually burning out and slowing the whole last tenth or two.

I actually just recently found Dogfish head. The last trip to the grocery store a couple weeks ago I picked up 60, 90, and Raison D'Etre. IMO the 60 had good flavor but a little week for me, tasted like it was watered down. I enjoyed the 90, but its a bit more coin than I usually spend. Can't wait to try some others of theirs.

......it's a fun race with lots of free Dogfish at the after party.
Hmmmm...........If I start training now that gives me a year to double my distance...............
ramzeV! Now I get it!

Reactions: Tristan-OH