Need to pick a Marathon goal

startingupagain

Barefooters
Jul 9, 2010
Hey All, Haven't posted for a while, partially because I feel guilty for having yet to run barefoot this year. It's been 100% VFF&'s (Bikilas and Sprints). Here's the deal: I signed up for my first Marathon on October 2, 2011, the Twin Cities Marathon. (A relatively large one. About 8200 finishers). It is now 18 weeks away and I plan on using the Hanson Running training program. But I need a goal time to do this. Data: 48 year old male. Started running and tri's about 1 year ago. Ran 45 minute 10K last Thanksgiving. No training between Thanksgiving and January 29. On January 29 I ran a shortened half marathon (11.6 miles) at an 8 minute pace. Starting in mid-March I trained for two months for a half marathon (non-shortened). Training was three days a week, one day long run, one day tempo run, one day intervals. Did the half marathon on May 14 in 1:38:01 (in my Bikilas) with a negative split. Felt good. The usual formulas (running calculators) translate my half marathon time time to a 3:26 marathon time. But now I plan on doing a real six day a week 18 week training plan for a full marathon. Is it unrealistic to try for 3:20? Or more generally, what time would you suggest I train for?

Even knowing all that, it's

Even knowing all that, it's hard to say much more than what the calculator did. Why don't you just start the training for a time that you feel is realistic (for example, 3:26) and see how you feel after two weeks? If after that you're feeling like you could do more, readjust your plan for the last 16 weeks. If you're feeling tired all the time or not hitting your splits, adjust in the other direction. (Btw, I have no idea what the Hanson training plan is. :p)

That being said, jumping from three to six days a week training is huge, and considering the times you already have under your belt, it's probably not even necessary for a sub-3:30. What about four running days with two days of cross training (if you really want to stick to the six-day thing)? In any case, it sounds like whatever you ran would be a PR anyway. Why not just have fun with it and see what happens?

Good luck and have fun!!! Marathon training is awesome! :)

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test