Natural Foot Health vs. Shoe Industry

Islanders.png
Natural Foot Health vs. Shoe Industry
By Dr. Ray McClanahan

I was recently on vacation with my family in Hawaii. One evening, we attended a Luau, where nearly every native Hawaiian had beautiful spread toes and strong healthy feet. That is not often the case on the mainland. I couldn’t help but wonder if it was related to the fact that they work and live barefoot and in flat footwear. Contrast that with the visiting mainlanders’ feet that I observed on the beach and poolside, with the usual hammertoes and bunions. Their feet were shaped like ill-fitting footwear. To continue reading, please visit: http://naturalrunningcenter.com/2014/02/26/natural-foot-health-vs-shoe-industry/

Reactions: bfsailor and Sid
Thanks, TJ!
You got me motivated to start this thread, about the shape of athletic shoes from childhood to adulthood.
http://www.thebarefootrunners.org/t...athletic-shoes-from-childhood-to-adult.17589/

And there's no rhyme or reason to it! That's what p!sses me off about this crap! Shoes should be considered medication as needed, like a prescription, but no one regulates this industry's footprint on our health! Instead, anything goes! You like pointed toes? We've got them! You like high heels, so high who cares if you break your neck when you trip? We've got them! You like your bones crushed together? We can do that too? Aholes!

Someone needs to wake up and realize that shoes are more than just a fashion statement. They can be detrimental to our health and to our lives!

Thanks for putting that together, Sid!

Went to the movies the other night. On the way out - a fairly steep flight of steps to the street - the lady in front of me had on heels that had to be 6 inches and the forefoot was also at least an inch. She caught my attention because she wobbled at the ankles as soon as she stepped on the steps and had to grab the rail to steady herself. It was painful watching her wobble down the steps. Then when she go out on the street - she was still walking gingerly to prevent slipping/tripping. I was sure a sprained or broken ankle would be the result. I wonder why on earth would anyone subject themselves to that - no way that could have been an enjoyable walk- surely it must do long term damage to ligaments and tendons......

Been thinking more about the healthy foot shapes for baby shoes. It's quite possible that baby shoes are designed to fit the natural foot more comfortably, because babies wouldn't tolerate cramped shoes. After all, babies don't care about fashion. If the shoes caused babies to cry or make a fuss, then parents wouldn't buy them anymore. Unfortunately, babies eventually grow up and only to put up with the tortures of fashion.

Well, I refuse to grow up! I'm going to make a fuss if someone tries to put ill-fitting shoes on my feet! Wah! :D