mystery in Barefoot Running

Henry

Chapter Presidents
Apr 10, 2012
Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
Mystery in Barefoot Running

It’s the psychological wonder we experienced every time we go out for a run. I’m sure every hard core runner experienced the runners high, the state when you experienced smooth flow, the time when you feel relaxed, @ peace w/ everything around you, according to Ann Trason in Born To Run, the time when running gets romantic. There are so many terms to describe it, but I’m sure it’s all the same mystery.

I’m sure this topic has been around and discussed in a lot of running community. But it’s the first time to initiate it myself in this forum, maybe has already been discussed here.
It’s a topic so interesting; I believe it’s one of the main reasons why everyone goes out for a run. Everyone’s chasing after it. I mean who would not want to feel good.

I’m sure I have experienced it to some degree since almost three decades ago. I have read about it and try to chase it every time I go out for a run. I remember I have experienced it on my first or second full marathon 1988, three weeks apart. Since I started run commuting around ten years ago, when I started to run double to and from work or anywhere I have to go, I noticed I can chase the feeling more often.

But here comes the wonder of barefoot running, now I don’t have to chase that romantic run, I just have to take off my sandals ;-) Sometimes only after my legs are all warmed up, 5 or 10 or 15 km it varies all the time. The duration and degree of romantic mode also varies. But the good thing is, with barefoot running it’s so easy to catch it.

One theory to explain the phenomenon as I have read somewhere is the sensory nerve ending on our feet gets all fired up on bare footing. It’s the time when all our sensory gets into high gear. The moment when it feels like we have wings on our feet ;-)

I've only experienced Runner's High twice. Both times I was barefoot. The first one, I was on 8-miles of a 10 miler; the second time I was about 10 miles of a half distance. Although I've only experienced it twice, I am like an addict, yet longing for my next fix.

I've only experienced Runner's High twice. Both times I was barefoot. The first one, I was on 8-miles of a 10 miler; the second time I was about 10 miles of a half distance. Although I've only experienced it twice, I am like an addict, yet longing for my next fix.

That what makes it a mystery, I guess some people gets lucky to experience it all the time yet don’t know exactly the many reason behind it.
Maybe the combination of years of running experience, the person’s present physical / mental conditioning, the food you just eat, the shoes your wearing or not wearing etc.

About the "peak experience," wouldn't that be so cool if that is the way it "feels" when we cross over? I mean, can you imagine having a runner's high at that very moment? I wonder if that's what Caballo experienced when he crossed over. I'm almost certain that he did. :cool:

I love runners high. I haven't had it much recently since mine only tends to hit around mile 8+ and I've been to hurt to do that, but the runners high thing is absolutely amazing. I used to basically have it down to a science. Breathe this way, listen to that music, hit that cadence on this path. It was amazing.

I love runners high. I haven't had it much recently since mine only tends to hit around mile 8+ and I've been to hurt to do that, but the runners high thing is absolutely amazing. I used to basically have it down to a science. Breathe this way, listen to that music, hit that cadence on this path. It was amazing.
One of the quote under Sustained Peak Experience We can have in life but one great experience at best, and the secret of life is to reproduce that experience as often as possible
After 7 years running in my sandals and barefoot running, I can reproduce that experience as often as i want, minimalist running is the secret ;-) 20 years in dozens of shoes, I'd be lucky if I'm not hurting @30km of full marathon.

About the "peak experience," wouldn't that be so cool if that is the way it "feels" when we cross over? I mean, can you imagine having a runner's high at that very moment? I wonder if that's what Caballo experienced when he crossed over. I'm almost certain that he did. :cool:
any update on the cause of his cross over? I'm sure ultra runners are always on runners high state.

I would like to think that's how things shook out for him. Hell, I would like to think that's how things will shake out for me when it's my time...

As for the reason why he crossed over? A Google search comes up with nada...and if it no on Google, it don' exist mon (not sure why I switched to Jamaican, there...just roll with it). Last I read, the ME said the autopsy was going to take several days, but didn't say why (maybe they just wanted extra time so they could find the source of pure f'ing awesome that came from inside the man :))

Reactions: Barefoot TJ
I was wondering about a service for him. Surely, there will be a service?

I mean a funeral service.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS