My plan for my first races (10k & half marathon)

arbogast

Barefooters
Aug 24, 2014
Norway
This is not a BF question per se. Also, I'm a recreational runner. In other words, my training goal is not becoming faster, just finishing the half marathon in the most pleasurable way.
I'll be running 10 k in a week and a half marathon precisely a week later.
A week ago I ran 18k with only a little DOMS the following days. Other runs have been 3 times a week, 6-8 km, alternating between slow runs and above conversation ability faster runs. I also do 12-24 squats and lunges every day. Should I do another long run today/tomorrow? Just relax? Doing more long runs? When/how should I start tapering, if at all?
As you probably gather from the above, I haven't really given trai ing serious thought, so any and all hints and suggestions are welcome.

You'll be good to finish both your events with your current level of training. Run as much as you feel like over the next few days but don't bust a gut in the short time remaining before your 10k.

Have fun!

Reactions: paulbeales
I think one great thing about running for recreation is that the details of training become less important. Even if you don't taper enough, because you are having too much fun on pre-race runs, then so what: You might have to take it a bit easier on the races.

Bummer! Out of the blue I suddenly had a sharp pain in the outside of the left calf muscle. Had to break after only 5k and am now limping around the house with a painful lump in my calf. Seems like I won't be running the half marathon either. I did up my milage gradually, but should probably have built over longer time. Lesson learned.