My IT band is winning (and I'm determined not to let it)

C. Beth Run.

Barefooters
Jul 6, 2010
(Note--ugh, this is long. Sorry!:) )

IT band issues are my Achilles heel. (Except that's probably a really confusing metaphor in this case!) I started having ITBS when I'd been running shod a couple of months. Got rid of it with the foam roller. It started coming back when I got my mileage up. Got rid of it when I started running BF and drastically decreased my mileage. It started coming back when my barefoot/minimalist mileage got a little higher (not very high, just up to about 2 1/2 miles per run.) Since then it's been coming and going. I keep thinking I've conquered it, and realize I haven't.

I still use the foam roller, and as I wrote in a previous thread, the book on trigger points has been really helpful. I did my 9-miler last weekend (with KT tape on my IT band in 2 places just in case) without any major issues. Did a 3-miler Tuesday and was fine. Tried to run last night...and had to stop after a little over ONE MILE and walk home! Talk about FRUSTRATING!

So here's my plan of action.
  • Continue to work those trigger points, 3-6 times a day, as the book suggests. (I'd started slacking a bit, thinking it was gone, but the book makes it clear when you've had an issue for awhile you have to stay on top of it so it doesn't come back.)
  • Focus on running with a more level pelvis and with my feet facing forward. These articles from the Chi Running website are what I'm focusing on: ITBS article, level pelvis article, pelvis rotation article.
  • Use KT Tape for longer runs (and for shorter ones if necessary) until this is really resolved.
  • Run less when necessary. (I've already been doing less running recently. I'm protecting the long runs as much as possible but being more flexible with weekday runs.)
  • Finally, and probaly most importantly, I'm finally going to get some help from a pro! It's about freaking time; why in the world have I let this come and go so long without going to someone? I guess I've been stuck in DIY mode! A friend of mine who is an Ironman triathlete goes to a rehab clinic that she really likes. The clinic does PT, chiropractic, ART, trigger point therapy (yeah!), and massage. So I think they'll be able to help me really get to the bottom of this. (My first appointment is Monday, and while I hope we can resolve it quickly, I'll go as many times as I need to.)
This is so discouraging! I have a half marathon (my first) in 5 weeks, and I couldn't even run a mile and a half yesterday?! I have a 5-mile race Sunday, and I think with plenty of foam rolling/trigger poing massage before then, plus KT Tape on the day of the race, I'll be fine. But I am really, really hoping to FIX this once and for all with the help of a good pro!

I also have this emotional reaction--what's wrong with me that I can't just RUN? Why does my body seem to want to stop me from increasing my mileage at a rate that should be reasonable? I'm trying to do everything right; why isn't it working? For some reason I'm kind of ashamed that my body just isn't working right. Sigh.

Really, Abide? They work

Really, Abide? They work hamstrings, right? (Or am I getting mixed up on what a deadlift is?)

They work more than that,

They work more than that, they are for hams, glutes and quads and all the muscles in that general area, plus a whole bunch of others. You can also do sumo-deadlifts (just a wide stance deadlift).

Jimmy posted something about this a while back, can't remember where though?

Cool, I'll start

Cool, I'll start incorporating them into my strength training routine. Thanks!

Oh yea.  Dead Lifts are great

Oh yea. Dead Lifts are great for hamstrings. Remember how your hamstrings feel after working in the garden or doing yard work? I do Dead Lifts, and I an feeling it for days afterwards.

Do you suppose your running

Do you suppose your running in minimal shoes (any footwear at all) could be the cause of your IT problems. I remember reading others' accounts about how even in VFFs, they had issues with their ITB. Once they started running barefoot, the problems went away. Just something to try next time you do decide to run. Leave the footwear at home. I know that will be difficult with winter coming.

I am so sorry about your pain, Beth. I know how you feel. Trust me. But don't feel ashamed by it. I am a complete mess, but I will never feel ashamed because of it. I'll get pissed, but not ashamed. You're human. It's okay to not be perfect.

Yes. DL is great overall core

Yes. DL is great overall core exercise. Might cure what's ailing you. Hope it does!

If you're not familiar with it, go to youtube and watch some video, form is very important to avoid injury.

Thanks,

Thanks, everyone!

TJ--Actually I seem to be prone to issues whether shod or barefoot. I'd love to leave my shoes at home right now (it's been warm) but I have this deep bruise or something that's taking some time to heal. Right now I have to wear something on my feet.

Then I would say hold off on

Then I would say hold off on running until the bruise has healed, then give it a go barefoot once again.

Oh, and someone (Nate maybe?)

Oh, and someone (Nate maybe?) said you can get rid of a bruise quicker by rubbing it out. Nate, can you offer help here?

I'm actually doing that. I'm

I'm actually doing that. I'm not even sure if it is a bruise or what, but I'm massaging it with a golf or tennis ball every day. It has improved; I just already learned once that running on it barefoot too early makes it worse so I'm being cautious. :)

The thing is, I don't think the IT band is shoe-related because it's happened to me barefoot too. I do think the pelvis thing that the Chi Running links talk about makes sense; around the house I have been working on what I read there and it's different than what I was doing before. (Basically I have been swaying my hips too much back and forth and also pointing my feet somewhat outward, which all seems to be related. By keeping my hips level and letting them rotate but not sway it's supposed to put less stress on the IT band.) Hoping that's going to be a key to my form that will help prevent this from being an issue in the future (once I get it resolved this time!)

I'm just not willing to stop running. This half mary is so important to me, and while I'm willing to undertrain for it if necessary, I'm not willing to stop training. I really do appreciate the advice; I just need to keep running to prepare for the race...and to be happy. :) MOST of my runs I don't have IT band problems; I just need to figure out how to stop it from cropping up every few runs like it's doing now.

I can't stop you, and you can

I can't stop you, and you can always walk it if you have to--if that is your goal, just to finish. Are you running this race shod or bare?

I keep stressing the barefoot thing, because those posts I've read from people in your situation mentioned that the going back and forth from barefoot to minimal and/or barefoot to traditional was what they found out was messing them up. Only once they made each of their runs barefoot for a period of time were they able to get better.

Yes, definitely work on those techniques from Chi, and let's hope they work. Keep us posted.

Thanks, TJ! The race is in

Thanks, TJ! The race is in December in Dallas, and I'm a cold wimp, so I'm guessing I'll be shod at least for quite a bit of it. Just going to see what the weather and my body are telling me!

I hear ya!  December is a

I hear ya! December is a cold one.

Belly Dance, great for the

Belly Dance, great for the core, for body awareness, working the hips/stretching the hips etc AND it's fun :)

things like feet pointing out

things like feet pointing out and excess pelvic movement are indicators of muscular issues but not the muscles that are hurting. most of the time the muscle that hurts is hurting as a side effect of other muscles being out of whack. Beth if you want to get rid of your IT band issues you need to focus on hamstring and glute strength as well as flexibility in your hip flexors and piriformis muscles. Those are the main culprits for ITBS issues from all my years of working with people. Deadlifts are great, lateral lunges are awesome, single leg sqauts, and single leg touchdowns (standing on one leg, slight bend in the knee, bend over at the waist and touch the floor, stand back up to straight leg, keep back straight throughout the movement). Throw those four exercises in as a program twice a week and back off the strength training on your legs. focus your stretching (this does not include rolling) on hip flexors, hamstrings, and piriformis and the pains will go away.

If the people at the clinic you go to are worth anything they will immediately point to you having a forward pelvic tilt and tell you to either do the things I just listed or they will offer something similar. Foam rolling is great but it does not replace stretching. Good luck

sorry so late jumping in

sorry so late jumping in here....ITB issues can be greatly alleviated by taking the time to learn to relax them, stretch them out...etc...I agree with everything Jimmy said...

Three of the best ways to stretch out the ITB....Pidgeon pose, Cow face pose, and leg cradles....spend enough time in each pose to feel the "release"....use your breath too, as you inhale, think of "inflating" the "tight" spots....as you exhale, think of "falling into" the space you just created....

pigeon pose

sport-yoga-pigeon-pose1.jpg

don't worry about the arms here....

Cow%20Face%20Pose%20(Gomukhasana).jpg

Go to the picture of # 31 for reclining leg cradle :)

http://books.google.com/books?id=2AQZJW8yRpgC&pg=PA39&lpg=PA39&dq=reclining+leg+cradle&source=bl&ots=I5HmrLKJD0&sig=U57RFQf2VhlKEs1B1OO8D8-IlI8&hl=en&ei=kaXLTNOMOcWBlAeC-PHyCA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&sqi=2&ved=0CBoQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q&f=false

Spend ample time in each stretch after your body is warm.....after a work out, or after a run...and stay there until you "feel" the release....you will know what I mean when you experience that.

Hope this helps!!

Try DMSO.  It seems to be

Try DMSO. It seems to be helping with the TOFP that has been nagging me since early June. I've been using it regularly for a week now and I have noticed a big improvement especially since I have not cut back on my running, so something is going on here. you can get like a pint for about $8.00 at a feed store if you have one near you.

Thank you all for the great

Thank you all for the great suggestions! I'm going to see what I can incorporate without overwhelming myself. :)