My first cold run.

Shaun Mac

Barefooters
Aug 12, 2011
Went for a run yesterday afternoon in what I would consider the first really cool day of the fall here in MN. Air temp was 42 F., but the wind chill was 35 F.

IMG_20111025_164238.jpg

Cold feet flying over the chip seal street (notice the curved up toes :) )

IMG_20111025_164858.jpg

Here is a bit of the scenery where I live. If I go straight and head out of town it's my favorite gravel road. I turned right and ran by the anhydrous ammonia tank (smelled like window cleaner for a few seconds). This 2 block stretch of road is the only street in town that isn't chip sealed, they just layed the asphalt last month.

IMG_20111025_171030-1.jpg

After 4 miles, done and my feet were a little red from the cold. The feet themselves felt fine, my big toes got cold though. They have gotten frostnipped in the past, so they are probably a little more susceptible to cold though. Otherwise it was a pretty good run, the chip seal stung a little more than normal on the cold feet but not too bad.

I wore a lightweight merino wool base layer, a long sleeve underarmor loose shirt and a lightweight fleece vest on the top. And a pair of lightweight tights and my running shorts on the bottom.

Winter is coming!  Truth to

Winter is coming! Truth to tell, I can wait. I went out at about 41F the other morning but it was over 50 by the time I finished my run.

I love that my feet become so sensitive to the temp of the surfaces I run on A big change, like from sun to dark shade, can cause me to almost catch my breath.

I ran about 5 barefoot miles

I ran about 5 barefoot miles beside lake Tahoe yesterday at 23F and found it totally enjoyable because the air was dry and there was no wind. The same temperature here in more humid NYC will be infinitely more challenging.

LOVE IT!!!!!  I am hopeful

LOVE IT!!!!! I am hopeful being a newbie that I can acclimate to this upcoming winter here in Washington. About to head out and coach my 7-yo kiddo's soccer game and hopefully enjoy some squishy patches of mud hidden throughout the grass :)

Love the turned up toes!

Love the turned up toes!