My First (but not last) Marathon

By Bare Claws

Yesterday's Dallas Marathon was my very first, one year after my first half at the same venue. It was drizzly and the course was very wet and full of puddles especially at the start. I wore my Sockwa's for ten miles because I was afraid that the wet conditions would soften up my feet too much. Started with a 5 hour pacer, and hung with him for the ten miles before needing to stop to get the shoes off and fiddle with my music, blow my nose and use the porta potty. (I had done 20 in under four hours previously and really over-estimated my capabilities!) Being on my own let me set a more realistic pace for myself, and while I did meet that 20 mile goal, the next six were a whole 'nuther story. But I quickly got my mental act together and slogged on. Feet were fine! I made sure to walk part of mile 25 so that I could cross the finish line running and with my ego intact. Lots of props and comments about my bare feet and I must admit that it helps power me through difficult times. I don't want to be seen as the dufus walking by side of the road and oh look, she's barefoot. I want to be a good example of our breed, not a pathetic one! There was another barefoot runner, or so I was told by spectators and my husband. If I'm not mistaken, it was our own Runlite. (James, are you there?) I met him during the race last year but didn't get to see him this time. I have to admit that I never notice my surroundings when I'm running a race. It could be anywhere. I'm so focused on my own foot placement, trash in the road, etc. I finished at 5:20, which wasn't the bottom of my AG group (and I'm about to age out of it). Better next time. I had to start somewhere! Best part of the race was a surprise appearance of my little grandsons running out to meet me with their homemade sign. That's all. Til next time.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

I am so happy for you! Congratulations! :barefoot: I have copied your report to the home page. Thanks for sharing!

By Bare Claws

There was another barefoot runner, or so I was told by spectators and my husband. If I'm not mistaken, it was our own Runlite. (James, are you there?) I met him during the race last year but didn't get to see him this time.

It was not me I did not make this race this year. I do remember meeting you last year. Great Job!!!

Reactions: Barefoot TJ

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS

Latest posts