My First Barefoot Run

mathnerdm

Barefooters
Aug 10, 2014
Hi everyone, I just joined this forum as I've been looking into barefoot running. I'm 17 and can count on one hand the number of times I've been running out of my own free will. I decided I wanted to start and since I'm not used too much to running with shoes, decided it would be the best time to try barefoot running. I went out last night for my first run, planning on running a quarter-half mile. I ended up running about a mile and half around my neighborhood. I know it was too much too soon, but I enjoyed it too much to stop lol! Now when I got home, me feet were stinging every step I took right on my forefoot. Sure enough, I developed 2 different blisters on each foot right below my big toes and a couple splinters one of which was easy to remove. Is this normal? I know I should have started with less, but it was too fun! Are these blisters common when you first start? And should I wait to run again till they heal? Cuz right now it hurts like heck to walk on them (a good amount less today though than last night). Any input would be awesome! Thanks much!

Welcome! That was too much for a first barefoot run. Try "lifting" your feet. Keep your cadence fast, around 180. Keep your stride short. Think light, feel light. You'll get the hang of it.

Welcome! That was too much for a first barefoot run. Try "lifting" your feet. Keep your cadence fast, around 180. Keep your stride short. Think light, feel light. You'll get the hang of it.
Thanks for the reply! Do you think the blisters are a result of too much running or could it be bad form? And should I hold off running again till they're completely gone?

The blisters were most likely because your feet are not used to that much stimulation and some to do with form, but both will develop naturally if you take things more slowly. I would let them heal before you go out again, but next time limit yourself to no more than 1/2 a mile. Give your feet a day between each run to evaluate and adapt. If you are patient, you will easily find yourself running several miles barefoot in a few months, but your whole lower body needs some time to build the strength it has been deprived from wearing shoes, too.

The blisters were most likely because your feet are not used to that much stimulation and some to do with form, but both will develop naturally if you take things more slowly. I would let them heal before you go out again, but next time limit yourself to no more than 1/2 a mile. Give your feet a day between each run to evaluate and adapt. If you are patient, you will easily find yourself running several miles barefoot in a few months, but your whole lower body needs some time to build the strength it has been deprived from wearing shoes, too.
I appreciate all the tips! I'll definitely keep my next run shorter. How long can I expect it to take for these to heal?
I just wanna get back out and run :D

Id recommend that you NOT pop blisters (if they are intact still). The fluid is sterile inside and its the body's natural way of healing. Ive run with blisters but I usually go for a slow couple miles with shoes on if I have them. Id say between 4 & 7 days your feet should feel much better. But you'll still have to wait probably another week for them to fully heal. (I havent had a blister in a couple months, time line might be off). If you run too fast, or too soon, you may find yourself forming blisters all the time in the same spots. Ideally, the blister flattens out and then stays on your foot as a bit of callous. Id avoid long swims for next couple weeks if you can.

Id recommend that you NOT pop blisters (if they are intact still). The fluid is sterile inside and its the body's natural way of healing. Ive run with blisters but I usually go for a slow couple miles with shoes on if I have them. Id say between 4 & 7 days your feet should feel much better. But you'll still have to wait probably another week for them to fully heal. (I havent had a blister in a couple months, time line might be off). If you run too fast, or too soon, you may find yourself forming blisters all the time in the same spots. Ideally, the blister flattens out and then stays on your foot as a bit of callous. Id avoid long swims for next couple weeks if you can.
One of the blisters did tear open so I've kept it under a band-aid to prevent infection, the rest are still intact. I'll try and hold off running. When I do get back out, should I try to run on asphalt or cement? This last trip was mostly on cement and a track about a mile away, is that alright?

Concrete is great! All weather tracks are great! Congrats on starting....

You're young, those blisters just might heal really fast. Covered during the day with Neosporin and open when you sleep to give them time to breath.

Blisters are the least of the too much too soon worries... be careful.

Reactions: dharmadan
Hoooooray!!!! Well done mathnerd!!! Always great to hear another bod is giving BF a try.......

This last trip was mostly on cement and a track about a mile away, is that alright?

Find the most badass surface you can ( broken glass and molten lava excepted :eek: ) and play around over it. Feel how differently your body moves and reacts to the surface and how you place each foot on the ground when you don't know what you are going to feel underfoot. Experiment with how you THINK you should be moving and what FEELS like the right way to move.....you'll spruce up your form in no time....and if you can take those memories back onto the cement you're half way there :barefoot:

If you are patient, you will easily find yourself running several miles barefoot in a few months, but your whole lower body needs some time to build the strength it has been deprived from wearing shoes, too.

Laura is soooooo right on this.......too much too soon and most likely you will end up injured and be put off BF for life :(

Do you think the blisters are a result of too much running or could it be bad form? And should I hold off running again till they're completely gone?

The blisters are definitely a form issue. You are grinding and digging in to the surface. That's why I suggested you lift your feet and quicken your cadence while taking short strides. This will prevent you from creating those blisters.

About those blisters... I've always popped mine with a sterilized needle. In fact, I would put more than one hole in each one to prevent them from filling back up. I found it painful to run on blisters.

As long as you build up slowly and sensibly to your barefoot runs, your skin will condition over time and blisters will be a thing of the past.

Reactions: dharmadan
I'm fairly new to barefoot running so I can relate to many aspects of what you are saying. You want to make sure your feet are well conditioned before really going beyond a mile. Just living in shoes, and never really running, will still greatly decondition your foot. I had to go back to the infancy of running when I converted. I did 1/3 mile for 1 week then 1/2 mile for 1 week and then 1 mile once a week and 1/2 mile the other runs those weeks. I got blisters from running on to too hot a sidewalk. I still ran with them once the pressure subsided (about 2 days). All in all, I never had any real problems transitioning and the most days I missed due to mild pain was 4. Now, 3.5 months later I ran 10 miles (last Friday) and could easily do it again today, if I had the time. It'll be 5-6 and then to the dentist instead. Go slow, relax. Focus on form, though I found I naturally did 85% of it correctly automatically. It is normal to over think things at first. That will pass. Good luck!

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS

Latest posts