Mt. Adams climb (WA)

Reactions: happysongbird
Beautiful!

Wow that must have been a great hike. Someday I'd love to climb some peaks out west. Those elevations are something we just dont have on this side of the country, though our mountains start a little closer to sea level so not quite as puny as 4,000-6,000 foot sounds. But even still I bet it is double the ascent or more than most of the ones I've hiked. That doesnt mean ours are easier though, means you can climb multiple mountains in a day. ;) Do you know the elevation at the trailhead out of curiosity? Thats one heck of a trip for an 8 year old, congrats to him! I have trouble bringing my 7 year old a few hundred yards to a campsite let alone the mountains.

Do you know the elevation at the trailhead out of curiosity? That's one heck of a trip for an 8 year old, congrats to him!
The trailhead we started from is at 5,500 feet. The first day we only hiked half a day, ascended 3,800 feet and stopped for a night. Camped at elevation 9,300 ft for acclimatization purposes. In the morning we started at 6 AM and climbed the remaining 3,000 vertical feet to the summit with light pack in just 4 hours. Spent the afternoon having fun glissading down to our base camp and after a couple of fierce snow ball fights all the way back to the car ;) .
You can see some glissading on my video from my first trip to Mount Adams (2010),
starts at 05:30.
For Lukas this was his second attempt (and first successful) on Mount Adams. First time I took him there when he was 6 but we had to turn back just two hours before the summit because he got too tired.

Having that much fun sliding down like that shouldnt be allowed on the trail! lol Awesome man! I've never hiked on snow like that, its a completely different animal. Not to mention a lot heavier gear! Out east freak snowstorms have happened in the summer, but usually all the snow is gone by memorial day weekend. Nice job with the vid. I took just a few short clips but just of the views, as I was solo there wasnt people to film, etc. And I dont currently have any movie making software, but I want to start messing with amv's and such so I'll start looking to see what might be available for Ubuntu.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test