Morton's Toe and Barefoot running.... Pls Help...

fatboy123

Barefooters
Oct 14, 2014
Hello and thank you very much for reading my Message, My name is Bobak and I live in IRAN, I have Morton's Toe too, and a large callous under my second toe which hurts to walk on, I'm in the process of making my Pad to place under my first metatarsal head, I have two question which I would very much appreciate if anyone could find the time to answer...

In his book, Why You Really Hurt, Dr. Burton Schuler quotes...

"The top of the pad should not go beyond the bulge of the first metatarsal head. Make sure it never goes past the first metatarsal head toward the bottom of the big toe..." and Quote.

Similar to this...
http://www.expertclicknewsite.com/Images/NRWUpload/9151_toepad_small.jpg

However all the commercial pads I see being sold, goes ALL the way up to the tip of the insole, similar to this...
http://mortonsfoot.3dcartstores.com/assets/images/replacement insoles.png

Question 1...
I've made a 3mm pad according to Dr. Burton's method but I could still feel the pain of the second metatarsal so I moved up to 8mm thickness now and as a result, I don't feel the pain in the second metatarsal anymore, however now I feel the pain in the FIRST metatarsal, so is this normal? should I make a pad that goes all the way to the top? is the new pain because the first metatarsal is being used and activated and maybe it will go away on it's own? Has there been new research done that proves the longer pad is better?

Question 2...
So I can never do any barefoot running or walking in my life anymore without the support of the pad? what about when I'm home? can I walk barefoot around the house?

I thank you so much for your answer.

Bobak.

Hi and welcome! In the first link, is that your toe pad in the picture? If so, I don't see how that is going to stay on while running barefoot. If you are using it inside your shoes, then I think the tape would become damp and cause the pad to dislodge and move around.

In the second link, I don't see where there is an actual elevation of the first metatarsal (big toe), so I am unsure how those full-length insoles are going to help you with MT.

Do you have great discomfort when you walk barefoot? If so, then you will need to find a contraption that would act as a semi-permanent big toe lift to wear while barefoot.

I don't know of any research in this area, but we do have six doctors here, one of whom will answer your questions, if you will copy your post above and put it in the Ask the Docs forum. They would know best, although we have some members who may have experience with MT who could also help you out.

With that said, the only treatment I know of to "get rid of" MT is surgery to shorten the second metatarsal, but I can't say if I would recommend it or not, since I don't know how well it works. I just feel it's a bit extreme...just like when a doctor shaves a metatarsal bone down to make more room for the nerve when dealing with Morton's Neuroma, not related to MT. I would think shaving a bone would weaken it, and especially later in life, as we age, our bones become brittle anyway. You may want to research shortening the bone for MT thoroughly.

Good luck to you!

Thanks again TJ,

No, that is not my feet, this is a picture of my feet ...
7GIdifp.jpg

I was running in a cutup version of
Vivo Barefoot Achilles, which looked like this when I bought them...​

13948_mens-vivobarefoot-achilles_c16_detail.jpg

I had to give up running last year due to Morton's Toe Mata pain and runners knee pain which could also be related to MT.

Regarding your second observation on the second link, there is, that red bit is either a 3mm or 6mm thickness glued to the insole, more pictures at their site here...
http://mortonsfoot.3dcartstores.com/

I'll post my question in the Doctors section as you suggested, thanks again.

Bobak.

Reactions: Barefoot TJ

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test

Latest posts