Minimalist cycling shoes?

Ok so I'm sure this is a silly question to even ask, but I recently pulled out my bike and my old cycling shoes and went to ride on my trainer and noticed inside of 5 minutes I was having severe foot cramps. Does anyone know of any cycling shoes that are wider without any sort of arch support, just flat on the inside? My feet have changed drastically since taking up barefoot running and these cycling shoes no longer fit. Thanks!

I haven't seen any that fit

I haven't seen any that fit the bill. The problem is going to be that a shoe with a natural foot shape will increase drag, so I doubt that any companies would make them.

You could always take off the clipless pedals.

Ya MGBG, I thought about that

Ya MGBG, I thought about that but was hoping maybe someone had seen some or heard of some that were closer to a more natural shape. It hurts like hell to ride in these now that my feet are used to being free. Thanks for your input!

I agree with saypay.Over a

I agree with saypay.

Over a year ago I took off my clipless pedels and just used water shoes.

During this summer I biked barefoot and have been using socks now that the weather has been cold.

Maybe a bit extreme but so far I have had no problems. Hope you find a shoes that fits :)

Paul

I also swapped the SPD's for

I also swapped the SPD's for Pyramid Barefoot Pedals. Been riding barefoot ever since, but just bought a pair of Altra Instincts thinking they might allow for comfy colder weather rides.

yeah..Flat pedals are your

yeah..Flat pedals are your best bet, if your feet are the priority over pedaling efficiency. Keen makes a cycling shoe that looks huge by cycling shoe standards, REI has it. Otherwise, Sidi (expensive) has a size range called "mega" that are designed for wide feet. They will be more traditional, as cycling shoes go, with a stiff sole aimed at efficient pedal stroke; no arch support to speak of (I have their mountain biking shoe; it's flat, but narrow-ish).

Vans makes clipless compatible shoes for the competitive bmx set. Those would work, along with five10's Downhiller shoes. They're like skate shoes (wide/flat) with bolt holes for cleats...

I use the Keen Arroyo

I use the Keen Arroyo specifically because it has a much wider toebox than just about every other cycling shoe, and I can still clip into my SPD pedals. Note however, that it's a cycling sandal so you'll need to augment it with toasty socks or some other kind of foot covering for winter rides if you want to keep all your toes.
regular_smile.gif

The sandal itself is heavy and stiff and not "minimalist" by any stretch of the word. It's saving grace is that it won't try to deform the ultra-wide feet of a barefoot runner. It also comes with a super-thick insole which I promptly replaced with something much thinner.

Good call, Melanie! I didn't even realize PowerGrips were still around. They were huge in the late 90's when I was working in bike shops and clipless pedals were still in the 'innovation' phase for mountain bikes.

My only problems with biking in minimal shoes has been the flexibility of the soles. It's fine for a casual run (ride?) to the corner store; but when it comes to a 'fitness/performance' ride my feet get really fatigued with all the flexing around the pedal. I have no desire to 'feel' the pedals, so a stiffer platform/connection to the drivetrain is better for me. Especially when lots of climbing is involved.

$33 for a couple of leather straps??? Dang!

I second the stiff sole comment. Lately I've been using my VFF's for cycling as it's really the best I've got right now, since I don't wear any type of stiff athletic shoe anymore. I removed most of the studs from my platform pedals as I thought they might tear up the soles of my VFF's and Stems, but there are still 4 studs on each side that I can't access the screw heads to remove. I don't really use my Stems for cycling because of my concern with the studs tearing up the "air-infused foam" soles of the Stems.

Lomad and Patrick, yes they are expensive for what they are! I also agree about the stiff soles but as I train mainly for health, fitness and enjoyment, I'm not really bothered about my times so much. Obviously faster times would be good but I dont want to put my feet (and spend the money), in shoes that arent as comfortable for me.

Also, I dont put in that many miles on the bike because I mainly focus on running and swimming, so my feet dont do enough to get tired. I'm hoping to do more cycling now as I seem to have got my swimming and running techniques honed. :)

Melanie :)

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS

Latest posts