Minehaha Falls lower trails?

Discussion in 'Chapters' started by Kyrrinstoch, Jun 14, 2014.

1. Kyrrinstoch Barefooters
    1. Minnesota

Message Count:
    Has anyone run the lower trails at Minehaha Falls recently (the falls to to the river)?

It's been a couple years since I've been out there and an old friend of mine and I are thinking about going for a run there again in a few weeks when our schedules synch up.
    Bare Lee and TD Moose like this.
  2. TD Moose Barefooters
    1. Minnesota

Message Count:

I've never been aware of too many trails around the falls area. At least not ones long enough to get in a good run. The ones going from the falls to the Mississippi are mostly gravel. The paved path down to Fort Snelling park is old and very rough. I've done it, but it wasn't pleasant.

My preference for a barefoot run in that area would be to go down the West River Parkway, towards Minneapolis.
    Bare Lee likes this.
  3. Bare Lee Chapter Presidents
    1. Minnesota

Message Count:
    It's pretty. The southern side of Minnehaha towards to river was kind of slick and muddy in places as of three weeks ago.

If trails are your thing, there are also trails paralleling the asphalt bike/pedestrian path on the West River Parkway a good part of the way.

Like Moose says the chip seal towards Fort Snelling is rough and degraded, but if you don't mind running slowly, rough surfaces can be good for working on technique. It was on that path that I finally got my left foot landing to be as smooth as my right. Otherwise, you can run up above.

Over on the St. Paul side, the asphalt path is also quite pleasant, if you want to make a bridge circuit. There are also some nice asphalt paths down by the river starting at Hidden Falls going towards Crosby Lake. The whole river path system is my favorite place to run.

4. Kyrrinstoch Barefooters
    1. Minnesota

Message Count:
    Years ago, we used to run this trail, so this idea is more of just a casual/scenic/nostalgia type get together. It's only about 1.5 miles, but the hardest part was the race back up the stairs by the head of the falls. I'd only beaten him up those stairs once in all the times we'd done that short run.

Lee, I remember when they put in the wooden walkway along the south path. Never figured out why it only went part of the way to the river and they never finished it...

In the future, we may just start doing some of the routes you guys recommend along the River Road/Minehaha Creek trails.

Bare Lee likes this.