Mileage reporting week 1 of 2015

DNEchris

Barefooters
Jun 25, 2010
Bronxville NY
Since we seem to be in week 1 already somebody has to start this thread!

About 30 miles so far this week, all min-shod, all great fun, all cool(ish). 3.5 miles of my run home last night was with an acquaintance who is a very accomplished ultramarathon runner . I had intended to have an easy trot home but Phil's cruising pace is about my 10km pace :rolleyes:

I started off 2014 with a 10 kilometer run, so I finished the year off with 10 kilometers. That somehow appealed to my fondness for number symmetry. That also means I finished the year with a running streak of 34 days. Most of my mileage right now is in Xeros, but I'm trying to do at least 5 miles bf every week.

Last week I ran 44.9 miles.

My total for the year 2014 is 1420.6 miles. 432 of those miles were barefoot, about 15 shod, and 973 miles in Xeros. I missed my goal of 500 barefoot miles for the year. Biggest running month was December 2014, with 203.3 miles, first time ever I've run more than 200 miles in a month. Overall my best year of running ever, almost 2x more miles than my prior biggest mileage year.

Ending my year with another 3.5 miles today to get me to a total of 46.6 miles for the month. Not bad since I am newbie runner and a barefoot one at that. It took four months to get my head, my legs and ankles up to this point; now to see if I can keep it up into 2015. Thanks to everyone here for helping me directly or indirectly! Happy New Year!

Went out for my coldest yet barefoot run Tuesday, 6.2mi at 27ºF (feels like 19º). Turned around the next day and went for even colder! Wednesday it was bright and sunny, perfectly clear sky all day long not even a faint cirrus cloud in the sky. Was one of those days you just feel in go mode. Plus last day of the year and I wanted to get a good run in. Ended up being 23ºF when I went out, feels like 12ºF. It was a bit brisk but I really preheated the feet burning hot and the feet didn't even start to go numb... well at least until the very end. The first half the wind was to my back, the return it was in my face, but not bad except for the more open sections of the trail. Worked up to a decent pace in the 7's for a couple miles and averaged low to mid 8's for most of it. Felt great to get one last good run in after a pretty miserable year for me. Its actually the longest winter run I've ever done as well! What helped a lot was the sun though, it was dry and the bike path surface was about 30º.

Well even though this is for week 1 of the new year I'll probably just have the last couple 2014 runs to report since I'll be working today through Sunday. So my week will be 21.2mi, actually almost 2mi more than last week with 1 less run.

Happy New Year!
cheers.gif

1st run of the year this morning. Usual 5mi around neighborhood. Started running on the old asphalt for some variety.

Got my first glass shard of the year, the usual tiny 2mm variety. Apparently, some moron broke something over New Year's, since it wasn't there on my Wed run.

Actually, I ran over the big pieces without any problem. It wasn't until a block away, that I noticed a needlelike sensation. So, I did what any reasonable barefooter would do. I stopped, plucked out the shard, examined my foot, and got on with it. All in all a very nice run :D

1st run of the year this morning. Usual 5mi around neighborhood. Started running on the old asphalt for some variety.

Got my first glass shard of the year, the usual tiny 2mm variety. Apparently, some moron broke something over New Year's, since it wasn't there on my Wed run.

Actually, I ran over the big pieces without any problem. It wasn't until a block away, that I noticed a needlelike sensation. So, I did what any reasonable barefooter would do. I stopped, plucked out the shard, examined my foot, and got on with it. All in all a very nice run :D

I noticed some extra glass on my first run of the year too. It's too bad, but it is a part of city running.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    0 bytes · Views: 11
  • image.jpg
    0 bytes · Views: 8
18 miles on the trails.... headlamp testing tonight. Vivobarefoot Trail Freaks. I feel like a million dollars.... at least like a million dollars that just ran 18 miles.
View attachment 5245

Nice on the 18 miles...did you have to break those shoes in at all?

First run of the year today, 5 miles rainy muddy trail run in the Vivo Trail Freak shoes. That was my 3rd run in these shoes really like them so far...going to be my new go to winter trail shoe.

3-4 miles today that felt as if I had run a half marathon. A 15 cm snowfall and blowing snow left a lot of drifts and finger drifts this morning on the roads. I was out early so there had been very little traffic to pack the snow down or break up the drifts. Had to make sure to lift the feet today to get through the drifts. On top of all that the air temperature was -24C with a north wind that was blowing 50 kmh made for a -38C windchill, no barefooting in these conditions. As soon as I got home it was strength training in the form of shoveling the driveway. Hopefully by tomorrow the plows will have cleared some of the roads and traffic packed down the side roads, but the artic air looks like it's sticking around for the next couple of weeks, where is the global warming? :coldfeet:

Nice on the 18 miles...did you have to break those shoes in at all?
I'm 5 runs and 83 miles into them (counting today)... first run was 20. I don't think they need to be broke in. The only problem I have is where the little cut out is just behind the great toe. It rubs on my socks, but hasn't given me blisters. The first 3 runs (20,15,15) were with the insole in. Yesterday's 18 was without the insole - I put the insoles back in for today's 15.

Beautiful place to run Spiderweb62!!

So today - 15 miles on the trails, in the Trail Freaks again. Muddy, rainy, suffering. If it was always blissful everyone would do it.

Wow, by the looks of it Spider is enjoying runs in the +30C range or there about, and here I am on this side of the continent running in temps of -30C, polar opposites (heavy on the polar side of things on this half of the world). Another cold 3 or 4 miles today, did set a PR today, a temperature one. This morning the temperature with the windchill calculated in was -48C, the air temp was -35C, I think winter has arrived.

3.27 mile run today recovery pace to finish the week with 35.4 miles to give my legs a break some after 4 straight weeks of 40+ miles including one 50-mile week.

That's cold I can't even imagine, Dutchie. The coldest I've ever been out in is about -10 F, which is about -22 C. Thank goodness there was hardly a breath of wind that night.

Well as I figured I am still at 0 miles for 2015 so far :( though I did get those two runs in earlier this week. I actually got sick the day after my 15 mile run. My son had been sick (worse that day) and I was doing my best to stay outside which is one reason I ran the long run. But I ended up getting sick too the next day. I'm recovering now and hope to run next week since I have it off, but the forecasted temps have me a bit worried (even if they are still a lot higher than dutchie's)!

Reactions: Bare Lee