Mileage Reporting 6th Week of 2013

It looks like he has some good things to say. Here is a link to what I was trying to describe:
This approach allows you to work on balance without being concerned about breathing much. It is also a good place to begin to learn rotation from.

Yep, I've seen people doing this in the lap lanes. Question, though: should my head be under water most of the time?

Reactions: Sid
Yep, I've seen people doing this in the lap lanes. Question, though: should my head be under water most of the time?
When doing the sweet spot drill, no. It might be more at first, while you learn your balance, but after a while it should be mostly out of the water.

Ooooo wooden planks underfoot. Some of the paved trails I've run barefoot have wooden bridges. The feel of the cool, smooth planks underfoot was wonderful. I imagine a standard wood floor feels the same for running (my house is all ceramic tile or wood floors, but barely big enough to walk through without bumping into things, let alone run). Soooooo jealous.

Also: Great that you are finally recovering. Nothing like getting back into things, eh?
Today I actually don't feel so bad, finally, thanks for noticing. :)

When doing the sweet spot drill, no. It might be more at first, while you learn your balance, but after a while it should be mostly out of the water.
Thanks for all the encouragement!
I've been watching lots of utube videos for drills, and I'm eager to try them next time i'm in the water.
Also, I have my first private swim lesson scheduled for next Wednesday night; he's my son's current swim instructor. Seems very patient.

25min high intensity circuit training. Over the week, it's dawned upon me that allergy season is in full swing in Florida. (Yay! not) I've also been getting a cold, which made for fitful sleeping last night. So, I'm avoiding the pool today, and maybe even cancelling my lesson tomorrow. (I think that people should stay home when they're sick. It's basic infection control. Plus, a swim class isn't an essential duty.)

So, I popped in the Body Beast Total Body video. I was following a bit of it, then did my own thing, chest, back, shoulder, squats, and kettlebell swings. No rest in between sets. Doing moderate weight. I kept the video on, as it had a bit of generic rock music, with the guy yelling encouraging things, as they were doing a circuit with no rest, too. Nice workout, especially since I wanted to avoid any full cardio activities such as running/swimming until this cold gets better. I'm liking this moderate weight, fast-paced circuit training. It's a quick workout, and I'm building up more slowly. I think that I overdid it a few months ago with a traditional weight routine doing max weight, as my body wasn't ready for that yet. Live and learn.

Oh yes, although I have a cold, I had a bunch of carbs last night, so I have some energy to burn off.

19.3 miles this week.

90 min Bikram this morning. hope to get in three miles later.

Good for you if you can pull that off. A few years ago I bought 10 sessions of Birkram - that stuff knocked me out for a good part of the day. Must have had something to do with me sweating out twice my body weight, or something.... :D

6 miles (or 6.01, according to MapMyRun, but I'm not counting that) in 1:20 . About 1/4 mi of that was this gravel path that - I swear - took like 10 minutes to get over. I'm torn on whether I should keep gutting it out to toughen my feet, or if I should just be practical and slip on the huaraches for that section... Fortunately, things were better once I got back on to the asphalt...

I'm torn on whether I should keep gutting it out to toughen my feet, or if I should just be practical and slip on the huaraches for that section...

I say grin and bear it, it's a good opportunity for you. A great training tool.

I have something like that when I run through a garden community nearby. It used to be crazy difficult but it's quite doable now and I'm certain it's helped me in quite a few ways, foot toughness being only the most obvious.

Good for you if you can pull that off. A few years ago I bought 10 sessions of Birkram - that stuff knocked me out for a good part of the day. Must have had something to do with me sweating out twice my body weight, or something.... :D
ha ha There are so mnay new shoes around, I forgot that was a yoga you all had been talking about and thought it was a new kind of footwear!

Reactions: NickW and Bare Lee
About 1/4 mi of that was this gravel path that - I swear - took like 10 minutes to get over. I'm torn on whether I should keep gutting it out to toughen my feet, or if I should just be practical and slip on the huaraches for that section
10 min is a long time, especially if you're not having fun. I suppose it depends on if you anticipate running on similar trails or really enjoy the challenge.

What's the weight? are they super light? like 3oz ?

EDIT
Are they true to size?
Read the reviews!

The Vapor Glove has a 3.5 mm Vibram rubber outsole, and a 2mm EVA midsole. Unfortunately it appears you can't take the insole out. Jason's size 12 was a bit over 6 oz. For your chiquita size, I would imagine they'd be under 5 oz, maybe even close to 4oz. I can't say if they're true to size as mine are about a week away from arriving. One commentator on one of the reviews seemed to think they run big, but there's always an outlier, so I wouldn't necessarily go by one person's opinion. I'll let you know how mine fit when they arrive.

Anyway,

Saturday afternoon
Fairgrounds Loops
Shod in Moc3s and socks, but about one mile bare
5.7 miles / 9.2 kms
31F / -.5 C
18 F / -8 C windchill

Another slow run. My right calf is still a bit sore/tight, so, at the risk of irritating my ITBs, I decided to run at Maf pace again. It worked; I logged another run without incident, and managed to knock off 30 secs per mile from Thursday's Maf run. I also ran a half-mile section bare, twice. Most of my fairground loop and the sidewalk there and back were still a mix of slush, snow, and wet pavement, but there was one section of the 1.7-mile loop that was almost dry, so I took off my Moc3s and ran it bare. My index toes are still a bit sensitive from the mild frostnip of last week, when I cleared our car of snow and shoveled in bare feet, but the rest of my feet seem good to go. Man, if felt soooooooooo good to run bare. And I found myself running close to 9mm pace while bare, despite my sore right calf.

I had decided to run in my Moc3s for this very reason, knowing that if there was a bareable patch it'd be nice to have a shoe or moccasin that was easy to slip on and off. I also felt a little guilty/disloyal for having chosen to run in real shoes lately, rather than in the Moc3s. I'm not always sure if the Aqua Lites are a real improvement, and I like the fact that Soft Star is a family business. Still, the Moc3s don't have much traction, and the Aqua Lites just a bit more, so it would be nice if the Vapor Gloves have enough for conditions when it's not outright snowy, but more slushy with icy patches, like on yesterday's run, which will probably be the prevalent surface condition for the rest of this winter. For real snow, I think the Neo Trails will still work, but for 'tweener conditions they seem to disrupt my gait too much. The lugs don't feel right on firmer patches of snow or on asphalt or concrete. blah, blah, blah.

The percussion massager that Sid recommended continues to work wonders.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002GHD0AW/ref=oh_details_o06_s00_i00
I was skeptical when Sid first mentioned it, like, six months ago, but that thing is great. It really makes my calf feel better.

5k this evening. Had the pleasure of being harassed by a car full of teenagers about my bare feet. :mad:
Funny, I think I may have met some stalkers. While running in the fairgrounds a car passed by with the window rolled down and a female voice said "hello." Kind of strange to have the window rolled down when it's cold out. Then a bit later I think I saw the same dark blue truck positioned like they were waiting for me to pass by again, so they could have a good look at me. I just ignored them. The fairgrounds doesn't have much traffic Saturday afternoons, but there's usually a cop car patrolling once in a while, so I didn't think much of it.