Mileage Reporting 53 1/4-1st ish week

Six miles of crappy-ass run-commutes shod, Sun-Tues.

No ST, but more snow-shoveling, toddler-lifts, and wife-repeats.

Ran first mile of the year this morning in my Moc3s.

I agree with Sced, they are good winter shoes. Today I didn't seem to resent having to run shod. Like Ms. Astic, I've found that no truly minimalist shoe is going to give you much traction, so mis' well focus on the minimalism, and for that, it's hard to beat the Moc3s. I'll still opt for the Vivo Neo Trails in fresh snow though, I think. I don't notice the lugs then, and the gain in traction is noticeable. Once my sore left met head is better, I may start using the Vapor Gloves once in a while too. Or not. The problem with any shoe that's more than a few millimeters thick is that I tend to start heel-striking in them. This year I'd like to work a bit more on having a consistent, slightly forefoot landing for both feets, at aerobic pace. At tempo pace, I find my form tends to come together without thinking about it, so a corollary goal is to get my aerobic pace up.

Another New Year's resolution goal: try to run & lift first thing in the morning everyday, at least a little.

I blew it on the first day, as we slept in till 10am and then I took a three-hour nap in the afternoon. It didn't help that the cold outside was Winterpeg-worthy.

Still, I will make at least an attempt at this new regimen, as I'm pretty sure it's the way to go. Whenever I get busy, tired, or the kids are home, the st goes out the window, so I really need to make it a first-thing-in-the-morning routine. To facilitate this, I'm going back to breaking up the exercises into 20-to-40-minute chunks:

Su: Deadlifts
M: Bench & Curls
Tu: Pulldowns
W: Squats
Th: Presses
F: Rows & Landmines
Sa: Dips & Cleans

I'm also going to try to forget about maxes, and just focus on getting something, anything, in, until I can establish a early morning rhythm.

For running, I'm going to try alternating three- and five-mile runs every other morning, with an optional long run on the weekend. So something like this:

Su: 1 or 3 mi (& one-mile run-commute in the afternoon)
M: 3 mi (& one-mile run-commute in the afternoon)
Tu: 5 mi (& one-mile run-commute in the afternoon)
W: 3 mi (& one-mile run-commute in the afternoon)
Th: 5 mi (& one-mile run-commute in the afternoon)
F: 3 mi (& one-mile run-commute in the afternoon)
Sa: 5-15 mi

The one good thing that may have come out of an otherwise crappy December, workout-wise, is that I'm mentally prepared to reset and rethink things a bit more, now that I've lost some of my fitness gains. 2013 was a year of testing possibilities, for both running and lifting. 2014 may be a year of trying to fine-tune those possibilities into something a little more consistent and sustainable. Or not.

Today, still couldn't get up the motivation to lift first thing, but at least I thought about it. Run commute was -11 F air temp, but the windchill wasn't too bad at -15F.

It is apparently not my time to die after all. That was a rough 2 weeks! But I did manage 30 minutes on the spin bike last Friday and a relaxed 2 mile walk with the family on Saturday. Then, the last couple of days, I have actually been able to get a few things done around the house, with appropriate sitting breaks. No naps now for a couple of days. Still coughing and a weak voice.

Today, I really made progress and swam for about 15 minutes, followed by 20 minutes on the spin bike. Am thinking I might try a short run tomorrow if it is not stormy outside. It will be interesting to see how far back this has set me with stamina.
Glad to hear you're back in the game Laura!

I agree with Sced, they are good winter shoes. Today I didn't seem to resent having to run shod. Like Ms. Astic, I've found that no truly minimalist shoe is going to give you much traction, so mis' well focus on the minimalism, and for that, it's hard to beat the Moc3s. I'll still opt for the Vivo Neo Trails in fresh snow though, I think. I don't notice the lugs then, and the gain in traction is noticeable. Once my sore left met head is better, I may start using the Vapor Gloves once in a while too.

I've been pretty impressed with the G4 Sockwa for the wet, slippery weather. This is the first year I have tried them, based on Mr. Whitelaw's recommendation. When I first put them on I thought they might be too tight, which I am becoming more and more sensitive to, but they really do feel like just wearing socks to me, except that my feet stay dry and they have better traction than the Moc3's.

I've been pretty impressed with the G4 Sockwa for the wet, slippery weather. This is the first year I have tried them, based on Mr. Whitelaw's recommendation. When I first put them on I thought they might be too tight, which I am becoming more and more sensitive to, but they really do feel like just wearing socks to me, except that my feet stay dry and they have better traction than the Moc3's.
Thanks for the rec Laura! If they have better traction, they're probably worth a try, and they cost half as much as most other minimalist shoe options.

P.S., probably won't be checking in for 10 days or so. We're going to Corona, CA to visit relatives in a few days. Good timing, as this cold snap is supposed to stick around for another week or so. -14 to -17F is the forecast high for Monday. Geez.

A week ago I had a nice 3.5 mile run at around 40 degrees and dry clear park path. Today it's about 12 degrees outside and there's a half foot of snow being pushed around by wind. Aye yi yi.

took the dogs out for a 40min easy walk. did a few pistols and push ups. went for a bike ride and finished 2min faster than the last time. hip flexors, probably tensor fascia lata, is a little tight from my hike yesterday. otherwise i feel good and so do the dogs. i actually was able to work out my tight calves this morning after my exercise.

Yesterday I did the first run of the new year. Excellent 8 mile run 28 deg. f., 23 deg. f.wind chill. A man stopped in his truck to say thanks for wearing a vest.

Seeing how it was 3 degrees outside and the roads still mostly ice and snow, I decided to pull out the old pair of cross country skis and used those for 1 hour and 13 minutes. Didn't try to do anything intense, just enjoy myself going down some horse trails and across corn fields.

Very important note to self: do not eat cole slaw right before going for a swim. I did make it 25 minutes total swimming time, doing an inverted pyramid of time intervals, but by the last 2 minutes I was quite ill. Still, after a short break, I managed to make myself nibble at some crackers and ride the spin bike for 35 minutes, then I felt fine.

Today I went for a 5.3 mile run around the lake with my hubby. It felt much better than my 3.1 miles on Tuesday. I also experimented with running barefoot in the crunchy snow for 2 sections near the end of the run: .3 miles, then put the sockwas back on for on a bit, then .1 miles right at the end. It was fun!

Havent run the last couple weeks till today. Too dang busy with holidays and sickness running rampant in my family. Did 2 miles in my monos this morning at a slow easy pace of 10:28/mile. My right calf is a bit tight this evening so I hope that doesnt get too bad. Anyhow, hope you all had a great holiday season and a happy new years.

Set a new PR today. Nope it was not a new distance or time. It was a PR for temperature. Coldest run ever, -37C with a windchill of -54C. And no, my lungs did not freeze nor was I barefoot, KIGO shoes and smartwool socks. Only went 2 miles as my feet did not seem happy with the temperature :coldfeet: , they did not warm like I though they would and I could tell my dogs feet were starting to bother him, I can not keep booties on that dog. I wound up wearing 2 Icebreaker tops and a Polartec wind shield jacket and Icebreaker baselayer on bottom also with a Polartec wind shield running pants. Body did not get cold, comfortable actually. This cold snap is supposed to hang around for another week so all my runs will be on the short side, using this time to tweak my form somewhat, trying to use my quads more.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS

Latest posts