Mileage Reporting 49th week of 2012

scedastic

Barefooters
Oct 7, 2011
3.5 yesterday afternoon, bare feet, wet pavement, lots of debris in the road, my soles felt tender so it was slow.
about 1.5 hrs treadign water and swimmign/playing around with my kids in the pool. I never count this as exercise, but I made an effort to be moving in the water the whole time, and I was tired as all get out when it was over, so we are counting this one. My daughters strokes are looking better than mine. She learns diving next. Cool.

4.5 this am, dark and foggy and warm, huaraches. Coulda waited till later to run bare, but I don't always keep promises to myself and i'm tired today.

Rest day for me today after yesterdays race. I pushed pretty hard and I have a slight niggle in my right ankle (of all places...:confused:). I wonder if it was the chunk of wood I had stepped on at one point when I was trying to find a path around people. Really disliked that new route for all the congestion. If I do this race in the future I need to start near the front with with all the fast folks even though I am not fast myself.

First run since the Flying Feather run on Turkey day. I was letting my hurt foot recover, and well last week was deer gun season and I was pretty much out in the woods in all my spare time. But it was time to start running again, and had to enjoy the 60 degree weather! :) Did a really easy 3.5mi and going to try and build back up gradually a mile or two each time. The foot is fine, at least from the injury I mean, trudging through the woods in heavy boots last week kind of pulled a couple other muscles in my legs though. :mad:

Had the day off, slept in, did a bunch of household stuff, some grocery shopping and then collapsed for a 30 minute nap. Manged to persuade myself into shorts and a t-shirt and took off for a loop of the Park. The first mile was at about 8.30 pace and the next 6 around 7 minutes each.

I felt much better after that de-coking!

Yesterday consisted of 13.3 miles which was only intended to be 7 miles. Lost my keys (or so I thought), so I reran my route and a whole bunch more because I ran in a new area and really had no memory of which way I went. So after some frustrating 6 miles of finding no keys, I got back to the starting point and remembered I brought a winter jacket, and low and behold there were my keys right in my pocket where I left them.

Yesterday consisted of 13.3 miles which was only intended to be 7 miles. Lost my keys (or so I thought), so I reran my route and a whole bunch more because I ran in a new area and really had no memory of which way I went. So after some frustrating 6 miles of finding no keys, I got back to the starting point and remembered I brought a winter jacket, and low and behold there were my keys right in my pocket where I left them.
How frustrating! Been there, done that

Yesterday, I rested because dancing for 2 hours is kind of like doing a triathlon...
Today, I had to use my swimming time to clean the garage, but after thinking about it, I've decided to give myself credit for doing an hour and a half's worth of squats!
Then, I rode the spinning bike for 75 minutes.

3.55 miles Boy it's nasty outside
Run with dog + blowing snow + freezing rain = lots of ice
Which results into, "Fall upon thy Ass"

But it was a good run none the less

Please send a bunch of that weather this way Bob.

I've got skis that haven't seen snow for nigh on 2 years!

If I only could, I would package it up and ship it your way. I am honestly looking forward to my Arizona getaway next month. Damn this weather is crazy.

Reactions: Bare Lee and Abide
After three days (last Friday, Saturday, and Sunday) of minimal activity, it was a little hard to remotivate. I knew from past experience that this was a very liminal, quasi dangerous place to be. Let it slide another day or two, and weeks, months, even years of inactivity could easily pass by, weight regained, blood pressure uncapped, muscles loosened, tendons softened, and so forth and so on. This is why I’ve become such an exercise Nazi. It doesn’t take much for me to fall off the health&fitness wagon under conditions of settled life and desk work.

So Monday is Front ST day. Really didn’t feel like working out. But after 10-15 minutes I started to get back into it and got a nice pump. I could already feel my body was losing conditioning however, so I did 30 pounds below my max bench to make sure I didn’t hurt myself. Then afterwards I walked a couple of miles in plus-fifty degree weather to pick up the kids from day care and kindergarten. It felt spring-like out, except it was already quite dark by five o’clock.

Today I needed to go to the bank so I decided to make that my run, instead of waiting until the end of the afternoon. It’s pretty windy out – 17 F / -8 C windchill, but I had kind of missed the feeling of cold ground/feet. It becomes addicting. I was going to add on another mile through the neighborhood on my way home, but just as I entered the neighborhood I felt a slight twinge of ITBS on the outside of my left knee, so I shut it down, came straight home, and massaged and rolled good once back. Dang, this resetting could take a while. I ended up with a bit under 3 miles on the day, at a bit under 10 mm pace. These short runs are so unsatisfying. I didn't even get to give my new high-tech REI base-layer running shirt a good test run. I hope I can get up to an hour’s worth of running soon, but I’m determined to take it as slow as it needs to go, trying to adopt 'beginner's mind' as the Zen Buddhists say. Might have to focus on making improvements in strength training in the meantime. I’m already looking forward to my deadlifts and squats tomorrow . . .

Just did a little over 6 miles, bf, on my lunch hour near and a bit on campus. Took lots of hills. Run ended in a 5 flight of stairs climb---my office mate could hear me huffing an puffing my way down the hall before I was even close.

My toe and one part of the bottom of my foot seem to have gotten a bit torn up. Something that looks like a slashed cut on the ball of my foot, and a bloody pinky that hurts. I remember getting into a few gravely bits, but nothing extraordinary. Maybe the skin was just still sensitive from last weeks running. Dunno. Maybe I was pushing off too much on the steep uphills: I was playing games with myself, trying to take them as fast as possible. Oh, and I also finished on a 0.05 stretch of muddy and twig filled grass, but it didn't feel bad at the time. Oh well. It will be below my weenie level for cold again soon anyhoo so back go the shoes for a few days. :(

I went from the run and a quick trip to the bathroom to sitting in class (no, not paying attention---this one isn't that kind of class), and I can feel the tight legs coming on.

Yesterday, I rested because dancing for 2 hours is kind of like doing a triathlon...
Today, I had to use my swimming time to clean the garage, but after thinking about it, I've decided to give myself credit for doing an hour and a half's worth of squats!
Then, I rode the spinning bike for 75 minutes.

K, so it's easy to figure out where you go to clean the garage, but where do you dance?

Reactions: happysongbird
Today I needed to go to the bank so I decided to make that my run, instead of waiting until the end of the afternoon. It’s pretty windy out – 17 F / -8 C windchill, but I had kind of missed the feeling of cold ground/feet. It becomes addicting. I was going to add on another mile through the neighborhood on my way home, but just as I entered the neighborhood I felt a slight twinge of ITBS on the outside of my left knee, so I shut it down, came straight home, and massaged and rolled good once back. Dang, this resetting could taking a while. I ended up with a bit under 3 miles on the day, at a bit under 10 mm pace. These short runs are so unsatisfying. I didn't even get to give my new high-tech REI base-layer running shirt a good test run. I hope I can get up to an hour’s worth of running soon, but I’m determined to take it as slow as it needs to go, trying to adopt 'beginner's mind' as the Zen Buddhists say. Might have to focus on making improvements in strength training in the meantime. I’m already looking forward to my deadlifts and squats tomorrow . . .

Did you ever read Talon's thread about ITBS? We had a bunch of info and actually sprinting was one of the things we found would help alleviate ITBS. I'm not really sure why your case is not going away, mine pretty much was solved by running barefoot, Talon's was fixed by getting stronger. He fell into the cultfit crowd though speaking of which I wonder how he is doing? Anyway I'm not sure strength is an issue for you, do you do yoga, have you thought about accelerating sprints into your program?

Did you ever read Talon's thread about ITBS? We had a bunch of info and actually sprinting was one of the things we found would help alleviate ITBS. I'm not really sure why your case is not going away, mine pretty much was solved by running barefoot, Talon's was fixed by getting stronger. He fell into the cultfit crowd though speaking of which I wonder how he is doing? Anyway I'm not sure strength is an issue for you, do you do yoga, have you thought about accelerating sprints into your program?
I did read through a lot of it, will have to re-read it a bit, because I missed the part about sprinting, but that makes perfect sense to me. Both times that the ITBS has been triggered, in August and last month, were after trying to jump to 10 miles before I was ready, but also when I was running at a slower than normal pace, in order to be able to increase the mileage. I need to stop making these mileage pushes. More evidence I guess, for my idea of increasing pace before distance.

Today's twinge though, I attribute more to taking a week off from running, due to my sore throat/cough, and sitting on my butt most of the time, and being lax about stretching and massaging. I was pretty surprised that it showed up at all. But thanks a bunch for the tip about sprinting. I was wondering if I should blow off my intervals on Thursday, but now I'll definitely do them, and maybe finish with some 40-yard sprints, do something like one or two 1-mile intervals, two 880s, four 44os, and then some out-and-out sprints.

As for strength, I think that could be part of it too. I only started doing deadlifts again this last summer, and then I had to lay off them while I was rehabbing my MCL injury. And as you know, I've just begun working the squats back in for the last few weeks. I gotta get more serious about my plyometric boxes too, now that my MCL is good to go. Maybe the plan for December should be doubling up my deadlifts and squats, doing them on Sunday as well as Wednesday, and keeping the runs short and fast. Whadaya think?

Also, in that ITBS thread, Dama mentioned that hills seemed to trigger it for her. Have you found this to be true, or have you heard this happening for other folks?