Mileage Reporting 42nd week of 2014

5 mile run at 5:00 am.
WOW cools skies.
Very bright moon, very clear, lots of stars.
Glad I went out!

Sunday - 11 shod miles. A good workout. 3 miles to get to a hill, then 2 hill repeats. Ran the repeats up (no walk breaks) and more aggressive than I am used to down. Then had a few 8 minute miles getting back home.

Monday - 3 barefoot miles. First sub freezing run of the year. Slightly unconformable for the toes. I am getting wimpy with all of the foot ware lately.

Tuesday - 9 shod miles. Flat road, tried to keep an even pace of 9mm, but found myself creeping up the pace. Hard to run slower in the shoes.

4.4km barefoot at 6C. it was raining and it was full of puddles. I love puddles! I'll even streay off course to step in puddles! For those who might remember, this is my longest distance in a while and I am very happy. Bad pace though but I care more about the distance. I didn't run all of it. I ran til I hit 2.2km then walkedt some and ran some.

Funny enough, I examined my feet after the run and found a puncture wound. It has to be an old wound as the skin is closed. All I can see is bits of gravel in there or whatever. Oh well it doesn't hurt so why should I care. It will go away.

Also, last Sunday I tried to run on tar-bound macadam and holy darn was it difficult. I managed to do it but at a slow pace and not for very long. If anything, I'd be interested to see how my feet would develop if I ran consistently on such a surface

13.7km/8.5mi this morning...We had a few days of violent storms across Sydney, this means it is my first run this week.

After last week I was not too keen on running 4 days in a row, but it looks like it will be the case again this week,

Monday
AM two miles, then one mile
Tuesday
AM two miles
PM one mile
Wednesday
AM two miles, then one mile
Thursday
AM two miles

Legs continue to loosen, but right hammie still not 100%, and the knee still clicks a bit, so I'm taking it easy. But no knee soreness. All am runs are Winter Challenge qualifying, but never really cold. Trying to establish the everyday run, build up to 5K, then push the pace a bit, and see what happens after that. It's still not always easy to motivate, first second thing out of bed, but the days when I'm up for it are more frequent, so hopefully the habit is taking hold. Sometimes I walk the first block or two before the right mindset sets in.

I did a dark 5k last night. Was good to be out there but I couldn't seem to get it right.
Hula, it takes some time to get used to the early am running in the dark, give it a chance. These days I step on twigs and pebbles all the time no problem, but in the beginning a little pebble under the mets or heel hurt quite a bit. What I enjoy most is the tranquility. At 4 or 5 am, there's almost no traffic still.

Tuesday - rode the spin bike for an easy 30 minutes alongside half-marathon running daughter. It helped loosen up the legs. Then, a couple hours medium effort weeding.

Both Tuesday and Wednesday - a fair number of stair repeats all day in the house, as I am starting my deep "spring cleaning" now. (Not an annual event, so the emphasis on 'deep') Seems like a good way to keep the legs moving in a relaxed way, includes squats and lifts of various kinds. All family members have been warned.

Lots of warmth and massaging since the marathon and everything is getting close to normal feeling.

Is this what I call "chip seal?"
I googled a few pictures and it seems to be same same thing. Tar-bound macadam is made by spreading tar on the ground and "spraying" gravel on it. The gravel sticks in the tar and it becomes a hard surface. It's runnable but I'd say it's a very "humbling" experience.

This one was made last year, so the gravel is very sharp. Also since it is bound, the gravel does not move as you step on it making the surface much more punishing than a typical gravel road.

It seems to me as though the construction workers were very careful to ensure that all rocks had their sharp edges turned upward!

Reactions: happysongbird
Thursday - 20 miles barefoot in S. California. About 13 on the beach. Alternated between the water line where the slope was steep and up higher where it was more level, but softer. Went up to the pavement where I had to go around breaks in the beach. About 5 miles of pavement and 2 miles of sandy gravel on the side of the road. Really nice run, but I found out that salt water really chaffs the groin area. Ouch. A lot of runners up on the pavement. Few on the beach and only one other barefoot runner. No stares or comments, must be more common around here.

To round out Wednesday's activities, which still included innumerable stair repeats and household squats, I swam 20 minutes and then did some upper body scrubbing the somewhat neglected pool. All activities completely barefoot. :happy:

DNEchris, is your back better?

DNEchris, is your back better?

It is - thanks for asking. I spent several hours using a Theracane on it 10 days ago (when I'd hoped to be doing a 33 mile group run) and the issue got resolved that day. I took a couple of days off last week and got in 50 miles. This week so far is 44. No issues at all.

It is - thanks for asking. I spent several hours using a Theracane on it 10 days ago (when I'd hoped to be doing a 33 mile group run) and the issue got resolved that day. I took a couple of days off last week and got in 50 miles. This week so far is 44. No issues at all.

Next time my dear hubby has a back issue, I will have to suggest that. So glad to hear you are fine.

Reactions: DNEchris

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS

Latest posts