Mileage Reporting 40th week of 2014

happysongbird

Chapter Presidents
Jul 1, 2011
Nampa, Idaho
dailyimprovisations.com
I made it 22 miles today!! Pace was easy, but except for a short period around mile 13 when I thought things were going to tighten up on me, it went well. Slowing down a bit made that go away, and although I was definitely tired, I didn't feel completely spent. The marathon may end up being slower than it seemed I was able to do before the leg thing, but it shouldn't be a problem to run it. I will be happy to just finish.

I moved last week, so did not run at all (despite me wanting to, but I was too busy, my wife pushed me hard to finish the move quickly).

Anyway, Sunday did 16km/10mi and today 14km/8.7mi. In order to achieve my yearly target of 2000km/1250mi I will have to step up my mileage (still 600km to go till end of year !)

One mile on Tarmac dodging chestnut and beech nut shells. 10:27. Last run for the September Toes on Roads. 57km total. Got the usual odd looks from the runners I met. Bring on the snow!

Reactions: Hulahooper
I was going to ask, now I don't have too. This is your first yes? My second one will be the following weekend after yours... I'm planning on one more long run this weekend then tapering a little.
Yes, my first one. :) Good luck on yours!

Reactions: Tristan-OH
I was going to ask, now I don't have too. This is your first yes? My second one will be the following weekend after yours... I'm planning on one more long run this weekend then tapering a little.

I'm starting to taper too, but when you said about doing one more long run i got instant withdrawal symptoms.:arghh:
Reduced my regular 10mile loop to 7 and took out the long run, when winter hits i'm going to be a very cold turkey.;)

15 minutes as slow as possible (John Douillard wants me to be even slower, but it would mean walking...)
then 3 x 10 minutes as fast as possible
feels good !

ah you guys speaking about marathon distances, this is still not for me...
this barefoot game is teaching me the concept of patience, really...

Riding the spin bike 90 minutes again, for the second day, as the long run seems to have resulted in me unknowingly favoring my right leg and giving myself an ultra sore muscle in the left quad. Didn't notice it until yesterday. Have been rolling and massaging, but could not run even two steps today. Don't feel it except when going down stairs, massaging, or the run attempt, and it does feel better today. Good news is the previously tight leg seems to have remained uninjured. Coach/husband again says not to panic yet. My mom is still declining rapidly and I have to wonder how much that stress is affecting me in all of this, but one day at a time.

Sunday - 12 shod trail miles. I must have had a bug or something this run was very tough. However, I was with 2 runners way better than me and the pace was faster than I would have done alone. We were scouting out changes to the Zion 100 course which is much lower in elevation than I am used to. Felt like it was at 10,000 ft. even though it was only 5,000. Fun to run with friends although a little frustrating when they are easily chatting away while you are huffing and puffing. 5 miles of mountain biking on another section of the course after where I found out that my friend was also much better than me, ugh. Still, impossible to have a bad attitude in such a beautiful place.

Monday - 4 miles barefoot

Tuesday - 22 miles rugged trail, shod. Checking out some new trail. Underestimated my time and I got off trail twice and really had to push hard the last hour. One good fall. In slow motion I had to choose the sticker bush or the rocky trail. Chose the rocky trail, but absorbed the fall nicely. Bruised hands was the only damage. Got to the parent/teacher meeting at the elementary 5 minutes late. I had thrown my shoes and socks in the back of the truck and put on a fresh shirt and ran into the school. Luckily the teacher was running behind schedule and my wife and daughter were still out in the hall. My wife asked if I had been running barefoot because my feet were a mess. Ordered to go clean up, I went to the bathroom to wash (she told me wash in the toilet, but I do have some barefoot limits). There was a sink that was lower down for the younger kids, perfect. Had a good meeting, my daughter is doing great. So I think I have things backwards. Shouldn't I be running barefoot and going to meetings shod?:)

Wednesday - 5 miles barefoot. Everything feels great. Love barefoot runs for recovery.

Feeling under the weather today, but still managed to get out and add 11.8km/7.3mi.

I am still considering if I want to do the Botany Bay trail (20 or 11km) later this month, given my groin (osteitis pubis) is still reminding me that it's not yet fully healed...

There is a fairly long section in the sand dunes, which usually makes it even worse !

I'm starting to taper too, but when you said about doing one more long run i got instant withdrawal symptoms.:arghh:
Reduced my regular 10mile loop to 7 and took out the long run, when winter hits i'm going to be a very cold turkey.;)

Tapering for a big race (sorry if you've already said, I haven’t been on the forums much lately)?

ah you guys speaking about marathon distances, this is still not for me...
this barefoot game is teaching me the concept of patience, really...
That might be the most important lesson of barefoot! It took me a couple years barefoot to get to marathon, and I had been running a few years shod prior to that. And I've only done marathon distance 1 time and I wasnt that well prepared! Not sure if i'm any better of this year either.

Rick - dang your clocking a lot of mileage especially all back to back including a >20 miler nice.

As for me...

Monday was a day off running, just way too much stuff going on. Cut wood all morning, then waited on Estes delivery while I was wrenching on a tractor. After that came (was a new pellet stove to replace one of my woodstoves) I went into town and picked up 3 ton of wood pellets for the new stove, 4,000 lbs on the truck and another 2,000# on my trailer. Cleared a few spots and unloaded and stacked them all in the house and garage (all in 40 lb bags).

Tuesday was rainy/drizzle/fog went out for 6.4mi run in the morning. Spent from noon to 5pm cutting up more ash trees. Fell 3 more trees, including a big ash - 85' tall and a few inches wider than my 20" bar on my saw all the way up the main trunk.

Wednesday (today) wanted to get a few back to back runs in, something I rarely do but need to train my system to handle better. Ran 8.3mi felt ok but just didn't have any energy to go fast. Averaged around mid 8min/mi but hardly even hit my MAF hr, averaged over 5 beats slower. Then spent afternoon finishing cutting the big ash then loading the truck up, hauling home, and unloading. My back and arms have been sore for several days now with no reprieve. Mainly my biceps are just strained and aching. but I've got competition and only a few days left of vacation so got to get as much as I can.

IMG_20141001_152010-600.jpg

IMG_20141001_162958-800.jpg

^ The last few days worth of cutting and loading up today. I'll save splitting for sometime later, though I did already split one trailer load over the weekend. Its just too much for right now I think my arms will fall off.

Thanks for the comment Tristan, here and on the other mileage thread. Wow, that's a lot of cross training. Consider running with a hand held instead of a pack. You wouldn't even notice a handheld.

Wednesday evening - 5 shod miles. I was a bad boy. Shoes, and marshmallow Altras at that. Music. GPS. Ignored my body and ran on tired legs. Somewhat speedy for me at 7:46 pace. The alternative was taking a nap in the car while my daughter was in a piano lesson. I don't think so.

Getting excited for all of your marathons coming up. Enjoy those tapers.

Not a single mile this week.
Rick is doing all the running and I am doing all the resting for him-you're welcome Rick!
Nice running everyone!
Reading about all this marathons in here is making want to run one but am not gonna:happy: