Mileage Reporting 38th week 2013

Bare Lee

Barefooters
Jul 25, 2011
Saint Paul
Sunday afternoon
14.19 miles / 23 km
64F

After missing my Saturday long run, I decided to try a long-run route I've been thinking about for a long time:
13.09.15  14-miler--Summit-Shepard Rd-River Rd 4.jpg
From my office (C on the map) I drove down to the river and parked (A on the map) where Summit Avenue, a grand old avenue lined with beautiful homes, begins its way towards St. Paul Cathedral close to downtown St. Paul. My lower leg had felt tight all morning, so I was a little nervous. I had to pick up some fish and other dinner supplies on the way home, so I had a timeline for finishing what would be my longest run to date. If I had to bail on this better-than-half marathon and walk back, I'd catch heck from the better half.

For the first four miles heading straight east up Summit Avenue, I put on my Salif Keita Pandora station. The joyful African pop was the perfect accompaniment for the beautiful early fall afternoon, with its ideal running temp, and a fair amount of people out on the sidewalk enjoying the weather, even though the Vikes game was on.

Summit avenue is a gradual incline. Then after four miles you reach a bluff close to downtown St. Paul. From there Summit veers left and continues to St. Paul Cathedral, but I went straight and descended down Grand Avenue to almost river-level. At the river I was just shy of the five-mile mark, ready to follow the semi-circle the river describes back to my car. I stopped for a quick preventive stretch, turned off the music, and stashed away my ear buds and point-n-shoot camera. My legs felt good, time to get down to business.

The asphalt on Shepard Road's bike/pedestrian path (this is where I was supposed to have run the half with Dutchie in August) was a little rough but pretty easy. I was able to maintain a 9:40-10:20 mm pace throughout most of the run. After seven miles, however, my calves started to tighten up. Sh!t, just what I suspected would happen. I really should've stretched and massaged my legs on my off-day Saturday. So I stopped for another quick stretch on a high handrail over a bridge and kneaded my calves good with my thumb and index finger. That did a lot of good.

Shepard road doesn't really afford very good views of the river after the downtown area. It's set up a bit away from it, next to a semi-busy road with houses up on a mini-bluff behind it. So mostly I just saw endless vegetation with the occasional glimpse of the river below on my left, and annoying traffic noise to my right.

At the 10-mile mark Shepard Road turned into the River Road and headed north. At that point I knew I was home-free, even though I was starting to feel fatigued. I stopped for another quick stretch and calf-massage, and then again a few miles further on. For the last two miles I really felt like stopping to walk, but I was already behind schedule for picking up the Bronzini, so I kept on. I didn't feel any focused strain in any of the trouble spots, like the ITB above the knee, so I felt reasonably confident I wasn't risking injury by ignoring my policy of never running fatigued. The strain/fatigue was more generalized.

Once I got to the 14-mile mark, I ran the last .2 miles at 8mm pace back to the car (B). Man, did that feel good. Hopefully someday I'll be able to do that pace for an entire long run.

So, overall, a pretty good run, although I really don't like running when I get tired like that. I guess that's the way ultra runners do it all the time. I think with better pre-run prep and maybe better hydration it would've been more fun, but it's nice to know I can run that distance. Not too long ago I wouldn't have thought it possible. It would've been interesting to see how much farther I could've gone. I kind of got into a zone towards the end, and felt like I could've kept on going if I had to.

On this morning's one-mile run-commute my legs felt fairly stiff, but not too bad considering. No soreness in the knees or anything like that. Morning temp around 43F--the cool surface felt great after yesterday's run. Looking forward to another week of running.

Here's some pics:

Attachments

• 13.09.15  14-miler 1--Summit & Lexington.jpg
    13.09.15 14-miler 1--Summit & Lexington.jpg
    205.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 13.09.15  14-miler 2--free books.jpg
    13.09.15 14-miler 2--free books.jpg
    261 KB · Views: 7
  • 13.09.15  14-miler 3--looking back towards the river.jpg
    13.09.15 14-miler 3--looking back towards the river.jpg
    241.2 KB · Views: 8
  • 13.09.15  14-miler 4--another runner.jpg
    13.09.15 14-miler 4--another runner.jpg
    338.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 13.09.15  14-miler 5--some nice homes.jpg
    13.09.15 14-miler 5--some nice homes.jpg
    243.1 KB · Views: 7
  • 13.09.15  14-miler 6--turn off down Grand.jpg
    13.09.15 14-miler 6--turn off down Grand.jpg
    231.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 13.09.15  14-miler 7--down Grand.jpg
    13.09.15 14-miler 7--down Grand.jpg
    249.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 13.09.15  14-miler 8--Irving Park.jpg
    13.09.15 14-miler 8--Irving Park.jpg
    313.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 13.09.15  14-miler 9--Dome of cathedral poking through.jpg
    13.09.15 14-miler 9--Dome of cathedral poking through.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 7
  • 13.09.15  14-miler 10--Downtown St.jpg
    13.09.15 14-miler 10--Downtown St.jpg
    194.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 13.09.15  14-miler 11--High Bridge & dog park.jpg
    13.09.15 14-miler 11--High Bridge & dog park.jpg
    238.1 KB · Views: 7
  • 13.09.15  14-miler 12--Shepard Rd.jpg
    13.09.15 14-miler 12--Shepard Rd.jpg
    274.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 13.09.15  14-miler 13--a glimpse of the riverr.jpg
    13.09.15 14-miler 13--a glimpse of the riverr.jpg
    319.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 13.09.15  14-miler 14--finally good view by old barge port.jpg
    13.09.15 14-miler 14--finally good view by old barge port.jpg
    250 KB · Views: 5
  • 13.09.15  14-miler 15-where Mississippi & Minnesota rivers meet.jpg
    13.09.15 14-miler 15-where Mississippi & Minnesota rivers meet.jpg
    281.1 KB · Views: 5
  • 13.09.15  14-miler 16--Fort Snelling.jpg
    13.09.15 14-miler 16--Fort Snelling.jpg
    271.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 13.09.15  14-miler 17--Lock & Dam by Ford plant.jpg
    13.09.15 14-miler 17--Lock & Dam by Ford plant.jpg
    259.2 KB · Views: 5
  • 13.09.15  14-miler 18--Back to the parking lot.jpg
    13.09.15 14-miler 18--Back to the parking lot.jpg
    268 KB · Views: 6
  • 13.09.15  14-miler--Summit-Shepard Rd-River Rd.jpg
    13.09.15 14-miler--Summit-Shepard Rd-River Rd.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 13.09.15  14-miler--Summit-Shepard Rd-River Rd 2.jpg
    13.09.15 14-miler--Summit-Shepard Rd-River Rd 2.jpg
    203.7 KB · Views: 6
50 to 60 minute run today, no idea of milage as this was a new route for me, was cool enough for me to wear a running vest when I started, about 4 Celsius. Running feels great for me at this time, before I start increasing my weekly milage I think I will stay at this base (20-25 mpw) for a couple weeks and do some speed workouts in there some wheres as the longer runs are on the easy side right now. Congrats on your run Lee, well done, I loved running by the river on Sheppard Rd, great scenery and great paths to run on.

50 ton 60 minute run today

A nice relaxed 10 miler, right?

I miss running in the mornings. The afternoon/evening runs after work aren't bad, but there is something really nice about having a good run early on. On the other hand, these evening runs seem to be turning into an opportunity to socialize some -- there's the option of Thursday night runs with that running club and there's a chance I'll be running with someone else this evening. If that happens, it'll just be an easy run. If not, then I hope to put some time in at tempo pace to give me one moderate intensity running session for this week as the rest will want to be easy. I've got a big strenuous hike scheduled for Saturday, so I can't go thrashing my legs into the ground.

Today I've been to the gym. Did shoulders and some chins and dips.
Then this evening I went for a 6 km run with a lot of walk breaks. Guess it ended up being 50/50 running and walking. I did it in my vff. I'm still feeling pretty tired overall from the 10K Saturday but not at all as much as I'd expected.

A nice relaxed 10 miler, right?

I miss running in the mornings. The afternoon/evening runs after work aren't bad, but there is something really nice about having a good run early on. On the other hand, these evening runs seem to be turning into an opportunity to socialize some -- there's the option of Thursday night runs with that running club and there's a chance I'll be running with someone else this evening. If that happens, it'll just be an easy run. If not, then I hope to put some time in at tempo pace to give me one moderate intensity running session for this week as the rest will want to be easy. I've got a big strenuous hike scheduled for Saturday, so I can't go thrashing my legs into the ground.
Oops I see I made a typo again, damn spell checker. My best runs seem to come in the mornings, I feel more relaxed in the mornings than in the afternoon. But if I'm working I can only get out in the early afternoon.

50 to 60 minute run today, no idea of milage as this was a new route for me, was cool enough for me to wear a running vest when I started, about 4 Celsius. Running feels great for me at this time, before I start increasing my weekly milage I think I will stay at this base (20-25 mpw) for a couple weeks and do some speed workouts in there some wheres as the longer runs are on the easy side right now. Congrats on your run Lee, well done, I loved running by the river on Sheppard Rd, great scenery and great paths to run on.
Thanks Dutchie! And thanks for all your terrific advice over the last year or so. It really helped. Even now I hear your voice of reason urging caution as I ease into this higher mileage phase.

Today unfortunately it looks like I picked up a mild version of my son's stomach bug. He's over it now, but I feel kinda weak and nauseous. No Ralphing so far though, so hopefully it'll just be a 24-hour deal and I can run a bit tomorrow morning to loosen up my legs.

Glad to hear your running is back on track! I'm still trying to figure out what a 50 ton 60 minute run is a typo of . . .

I also love the feeling of morning runs, but it seems like I actually run better in the afternoon, like 30-60 seconds per mile better. Maybe it takes me longer for my metabolism to really kick in. I also like the fact that with my schedule I'm rarely rushed for time on morning runs, but in the afternoon a lot of runs and st sessions get cut short. What to do? I guess old man winter will decided pretty soon anyway. It will be damn hard to go out at 4am in January without monetary remuneration.

Easy peasy 3 mile walk run. Had a distant cowbell but no reall issue. This was a recovery outing so I was slow. Started at my usual dark thirty 5am. A few bunnies and meet up with my hubby about 1 mile from home. We walked together and that was the hi light of my morning. Cooler temps on the way......yipeeeeeee.

Feet and legs just fine
Life is pretty good

3.52 miles in 32:22 with a friend at a park. Got a lot of sideways glances from passers by going in the other direction. One older lady said, "Doesn't that hurt?"

I said , "Nope." My friend laughed at that. I then added, loud enough so the lady could hear, "If it hurt, I wouldn't do it!"

Good energizing sort of run. Cool and comfortable, just running easy and chatting some about things with the friend. She even said at one point, "I might have to try it some." She's worried though that her feet might be too sensitive. Which may or may not be true, it just may be that because her feet live in shoes, they get overwhelmed when out of shoes. But I think she knows about the possibility of it now. She and I first met one another back in the spring and I was completely shod then. Now she's seen the transformation I've been going through and tonight she saw me run it easy tonight, and obviously not in pain, but smiling and happy and relaxed.

Most excellent 5 mile at 4:45 am. saw 1 rabbit. last mile met owl run (wife)and Becky to finish off my path (too cool).

Joined a lunch time run with some people from work today - about 8km at a leisurely pace, but finished off with 4 sprints which, due to my general stupidity, I couldn't resist having a crack at. Sprinting barefoot on concrete isn't a great idea, but it was super fun to open up and run like an excited kid - I realised that I hardly ever go flat out these days, and I need to do it more often. Got a few surprised comments from the guys at the start, but nobody really seemed bothered too much either way about the barefoot thing, apart from a few jokes here and there. They tell me we're doing the sprints on gravel next time around . :)

sunday:
6 mi, later in the morning than it should have been, since I wanted to watch the dawn, but nicer than if i hadn't gone. pretty early fall colors. empty country roads. deer, birds, asters, sumac turning red, trees starting to change at the tips.
swim, about 40-45 min. arms were tired, i guess from yesterday.

monday:
3.5 mi run early, first time it felt like fall, but still too warm for anything but a tank and knee length tights.
a few weights
swim: 20-25 min, all i had time for

tuesday:
2.5 because I couldn't get my body out of the warm blankets and out into the world. oddly, though, once i started my long sleeve and tights
were almost too warm to tolerate in the 40 degree temps.
a few weights
may do lunch swim.

6.5 miles yesterday.
Great job on the long run Lee, even though you don't like running with tired legs that's how it is when running long distances. Just sayin'

Today unfortunately it looks like I picked up a mild version of my son's stomach bug. He's over it now, but I feel kinda weak and nauseous. No Ralphing so far though, so hopefully it'll just be a 24-hour deal and I can run a bit tomorrow morning to loosen up my legs.
I had a great-uncle Ralph and he was really nice! :p

6.5 miles yesterday.
Great job on the long run Lee, even though you don't like running with tired legs that's how it is when running long distances. Just sayin'
Thanks Dama Beija-flor!

Yah, I dunno. A month ago I ran 11 continuous miles before my legs got tired. I shut it down a half mile later. On Sunday's run my legs started getting tired after just seven miles, so I think it was mostly a matter of not preparing properly. My basic MO is not to run any distance if it causes strain. As my running fitness improves, that distance will increase, but right now I think it's around the 10-to-12-mile mark. Even under better conditions, 14 miles was probably over-reach for me.

Still, glad I did it, and now that I've seen I can run on tired legs without getting injured, I may be tempted to try it more often. Maybe one semi-epic run per month or something like that. Yesterday I ate and drank almost nothing and slept 12 hours. Today I woke up weak and parched but I've been eating and rehydrating since, so I think the stomach bug is on its way out, and I must say, I'm surprised at how fresh my legs feel. If I didn't have this bug to deal with, I probably would've been just fine on my normally scheduled Tuesday morning six-miler. I think these longer runs are great for overall conditioning. The pro sites that suggest incorporating a mix of run types into one's routine seem to be spot-on, based on my limited experience.

And I absolutely love how a longer run changes one's perspective on urban geography. I feel like my city is being transformed, and settled life is more bearable with these little adventures/challenges. I can only imagine how great it would be to do the same thing on trails! Gotta find a way to relocate out West . . .

Lee, one cannot judge fitness by how each run makes us feel just because your legs got tired that early it doesn't mean that you can't go long without feeling that way, each run is diferent.
For runs that long what matters is how well you ate the previous three/four days so your tank is fully prepared for the distance.
I know that some people can go far with an almost empty tank but I am not one of those unfortunately.
And maybe you were already coming down with the bug, who knows but maybe the next fourteen miles will go your way.
Are you sure Beija-flor means humingbird? it sounds more like Beautiful flower or flor bella

I took a look at Wikipedia for hummingbird then clicked on the link to the Spanish Wikipedia.

http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trochilidae

Los picaflores, colibríes, pájaros mosca o ermitaños (Trochilidae) son una familia de aves apodiformes.

Google translate liked el colibrí.

Lee, one cannot judge fitness by how each run makes us feel just because your legs got tired that early it doesn't mean that you can't go long without feeling that way, each run is diferent.
For runs that long what matters is how well you ate the previous three/four days so your tank is fully prepared for the distance.
I know that some people can go far with an almost empty tank but I am not one of those unfortunately.
And maybe you were already coming down with the bug, who knows but maybe the next fourteen miles will go your way.
Are you sure Beija-flor means humingbird? it sounds more like Beautiful flower or flor bella
Yah, totally agree. Like I said, I was a bit dehydrated and tight, and you may be right about the stomach bug having already started to come on. I had a full tank of fuel though (three meals before the run), and didn't feel the least bit hungry even after finishing, so I don't think that was a factor. Plus I'm lucky to be one of those who can get by on an empty tank, as I learned from my bicycling travels (I once spent several days just eating bananas).

My point was that it's not a pre-given that running distance x means running with tired legs. So we're in agreement. Of course, there will be an absolute limit to how far I can run easily, no matter how well-prepared I am, or how good my running fitness is, but I don't think I've begun to reach that. Once I do reach it though, I doubt I will want to run farther, especially if it means monkeying around with hydration belts and energy bars. I'm a recreational runner, so I like my runs to be recreational.

beijar (Portuguese) = besar (Spanish)
Beija-flor = 'flower kisser'

I took a look at Wikipedia for hummingbird then clicked on the link to the Spanish Wikipedia.

http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trochilidae

Google translate liked el colibrí.
Yea, colibri is the name we use in Mexico for hummingbird but Lee is using portuguese that's why it sounds different.
Lee, I too am a recreational runner but love the long runs so I do monkey around with fuel if needed.
And you will too-at some point;)

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS