Mileage Reporting 33rd week of 2013

The past 3 weeks have been wonky what with screwed up sleep patterns, work schedule and such. But I got a run in last Monday (5.48 mi) and today did the Race Through the Redwoods 10K in 1:11 (or at least, that's what the clock read when I entered the chute...there's always a few minutes discrepancy, I've noticed). Also, as a lesson learned from the Turkey Trot, I went with brighter colors for race paint.

Before:
RaceThroughtheRedwoods2013Before-1.jpg

After:
RaceThroughtheRedwoods2013After-1.jpg

I must say, the Revlon holds up nicely in the dirt. Though, admittedly, I'm not a fan of this shade of blue...I think it makes me look like a tart...

Yep I was able to get the pain to diminish and then I went out for a long run and mountain bike ride. Probably not the best idea. It feels like the stability in that ankle is gone now? Hopefully I didn't jack something else up. Sorry to hear yours is still bothering you it's a rough injury for sure.

Hope you get healed up soon. Wish I had some advice for you, I've tried everything in the book. I'm sure you have too. I tried those trigger points in the calf that you posted. I get relief, but I just can't get past the 90% cured level.

Saturday morning
8.33 mi total, about 8 miles running

Went to a friend's hobby farm/vacation home in Wisconsin for the weekend with the fam. A bunch of friends from college were there, many with their spouses and kids as well. We all went to a small liberal arts school in Wisconsin and they decided after one of the five-year reunions that there was no reason to wait every five years to get together. So they established a tradition of meeting at my friend's farm every year in August.

My friend's house sits up on a large, long hill overlooking a decent-sized lake, Green Lake. Her large yard was littered with tents and the abstract sculptures of her late father, who was an art prof at a local college.

I woke up early Saturday morning after a late night Friday night and set out on amazingly smooth country roads, past a bunch of farms on rolling hills. It was great to run somewhere new, and outside of the city. I went straight West for three some miles before hitting the lake, then I turned North and East and made my way back along the curving lakeshore road, running past the pretty spiffy vacation homes--some of them mini-mansions--of Milwaukee, Madison, and Chicago's well-to-do.

But then the road turned into gravel, ouch, and then a bit further on into a private drive with a NO TRESPASSING sign. So I cut into a nearby field, half-ran through some cut straw, and then through an adjoining field of knee-high soy plants until I saw an asphalt drive through the woods leading to where the lakefront road picked up on the other side of the fields. I ended up mostly walking through the fields, about a third of a mile total.

Once on the other side, I saw a few other recreational runners out for an early morning run. A young and beautiful shod couple kept trying to outpace me but kept having to stop, so I kept catching up and passing them until they finally disappeared into one of the neatly appointed houses.

Once back at the farm, a few folks had woken up and were already making breakfast. The topic of barefoot running came up at the table, of course. And I was happy to see that people were incredulous when I told them there was a subset of barefoot runners who were against stretching, and refused to stretch even when their muscles were so tight that they experienced pain. I realized then that I was an alien among the aliens.

Nice Lee! How did you like that cut straw for foot conditioning? Field stubble is really good to toughen between the toes and arch. Wisconsin farmers must be nice. We have big guns for trespassers out west.
Yah, I kinda slid into the stubble to avoid landing on them perpendicularly. Couldn't really run through the soy though--it was pretty thick.

The 'no trespassing' sign was at the end of the lakeshore road servicing the vacation homes, so the likelihood of a shotgun wasn't too high, and I even considered running through, thinking an older guy running on gravel with bare feet might be badassed enough to prevent them from messing with me, but I wasn't sure if Stand Your Ground had made it this far North, and so thought better of it, and didn't want to happen across any Republican hot tub orgies or anything in any case.

Still, I imagine you're right, the Wisconsin farmers just inland from the lake are probably a good deal more civil than those in Utah, despite being Packers fans.

Well my attempt to run somewhere close to the half distance turned out to not be a Forrest Gump run by any means. I made it 10.5 miles before I decided that the legs are going to need a rest otherwise I would be looking at a longer recovery time. My left ankle is still slightly sore from this mornings run but think it will be good by tomorrow evening. Planning on taking the day off from running tomorrow. Might give it another try Friday or sometime this coming weekend.

Saw a big bunch of young turkeys while I ran two 1 mile laps in the park but was too focused on my run to mentally weigh or even count them. :) Heard two black capped chickadees and always enjoyed the song they sing since I was young but it wasn't until this spring I learned what bird sang this song.

Here are some samples of the chickadees song.

http://birds.audubon.org/birds/black-capped-chickadee
I went and listened to all those bird sounds. Very fun. They sounded familiar.
Sounds like a good call on the run distance.

Reactions: Go Barefoot
Yah, I kinda slid into the stubble to avoid landing on them perpendicularly. Couldn't really run through the soy though--it was pretty thick.

The 'no trespassing' sign was at the end of the lakeshore road servicing the vacation homes, so the likelihood of a shotgun wasn't too high, and I even considered running through, thinking a older guy running on gravel with bare feet might be badassed enough to prevent them from messing with me, but I wasn't sure if Stand Your Ground had made it this far North, and so thought better of it, and didn't want to happen across any Republican hot tub orgies or anything in any case.

Still, I imagine you're right, the Wisconsin farmers just inland from the lake are probably a good deal more civil than those in Utah, despite being Packers fans.

Noticed that also, the foot pushing the stubble forward is easier that coming straight down on it. Could this be a case where heel striking is ok?

Republican hot tub orgies - ha, great, I'm going to have to use that one.

Reactions: Bare Lee
The past 3 weeks have been wonky what with screwed up sleep patterns, work schedule and such. But I got a run in last Monday (5.48 mi) and today did the Race Through the Redwoods 10K in 1:11 (or at least, that's what the clock read when I entered the chute...there's always a few minutes discrepancy, I've noticed). Also, as a lesson learned from the Turkey Trot, I went with brighter colors for race paint.

Before:
RaceThroughtheRedwoods2013Before-1.jpg

After:
RaceThroughtheRedwoods2013After-1.jpg

I must say, the Revlon holds up nicely in the dirt. Though, admittedly, I'm not a fan of this shade of blue...I think it makes me look like a tart...

Well I had an eventful outing this morning. Becky and I were cruising along and just at the end of mile one ...it hit me. I was going to have to assume the position and make a girly log. I'm not the one that usually makes those on our runs. Usually it is Miss Becky that delicately places nice lumber for me to cheerfully pick up and run with. Well it was my turn. Thank goodness it was still dark and I leave the house prepared. I conducted my business is with NASCAR pit crew speed and precision. This time I resumed running with a wee bit larger bag of happiness. We soon fund a wast can and carried on. Then we're heard a screen owl.....makes me giddy when I do. I quickly got out my phone and as able to make my first recording. Then at mile 2 and change we both spotted a big cocoon slipping into a storm drain. 4 miles done.

sunday was almost 9 mile run. my runs always include warm up and cool down. usually just over 1m warm up and close to 1 to cool down. felt good. forgot to put on my sweat band and got stinging eyes from sweat. oh well. had some really good smoked ribs afterwards with a few shock top belgian whites.

I haven't updated lately, been on holidays. Went to a Spartan Sprint on the 17th, finished the race in under an hour, so not too bad for the first time. :) This last Friday I did hike up to a mountain summit, not really running, but a 1.6 km hike, with a 200 m. elevation change, wore my VFFs up, barefoot down. :)

Reactions: happysongbird
I've tried lotion before. Baking soda is a good idea. There's really just a few sensitive areas with my skin. I'll mix some baking soda with lotion and apply to those spots beforehand. Thanks!
Ha! I threw out a small container recently, and wan't sure what it was. Well, I had mixed up some lotion and baking soda, but it didn't really work all that great.

I tried some steroid cream and that helped, but I didn't want to use medication regularly. Finally, I slathered on some Neutrogena hand cream for a few days. (It's my go to moisturizer for hands and feet.) It worked! :D

Shoulders are something to take seriously for swim, regardless of form. One of the collegiate athletes who has instructed my daughter, has the most beautiful of swim forms I have seen, surely better than anyone else on the college swim team, pretty as any I've seen on the youtube, graceful, perfect. She is maybe 20 yrs old and had shoulder problems last year. Overuse can happen for any stroke, and she confesses that she wasn't doing enough "dry land" exercises, just swim.
So, regarding dryland exercises, is there something special about them? They seem to be just regular exercises for the shoulder and upper body. Am I missing something here? Or are these exercises for people who do nothing but swim, similar to those exercises for runners who do nothing but run?o_O Thanks!
http://www.usaswimming.org/ViewMiscArticle.aspx?TabId=1645&mid=702&ItemId=700

I started doing some backstroke, because I read that it can balance out the muscles used for the freestyle.

So, regarding dryland exercises, is there something special about them? They seem to be just regular exercises for the shoulder and upper body. Am I missing something here? Or are these exercises for people who do nothing but swim, similar to those exercises for runners who do nothing but run?o_O Thanks!
http://www.usaswimming.org/ViewMiscArticle.aspx?TabId=1645&mid=702&ItemId=700

I started doing some backstroke, because I read that it can balance out the muscles used for the freestyle.

Yes, swim team kids are supposed to do exercises to "complement" swimming. When they get lazy (and are only training 2+ hours per day.....), this means they are ONLY swimming, nothing else. So yes, they are just basic ST exercises for those muscles that are otherwise only doing swimming.

Reactions: Sid

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test