Mileage Reporting 2nd Week 2014

Lower body strength exercises. I could not figure out where to ask this question so I will put it here. I am thinking about getting a rowing machine. How many of you use one and how effective do you think they are?

Hi. I don't own one, but I've used one in the gym a lot. They are very effective and it's a great way to get cardio and use your body completely different from when you run. What I don't like is that if you don't have a tv or something to keep you entertained it is sooooo incredibly boring to sit there and row, and then it's hard on the back. No matter how right you do it, it takes it tolls on the lower back muscles and they have to get in shape for it and that takes time, so you can't just start and row a lot. You have to build it up, like everything else.

Reactions: jldeleon and NickW
Had a great 8 mile run yesterday at 3:00pm 45 deg. f. hazy (kinda cool). ran along a stream that had a lot of ducks and one area that had a lot of large white birds.One tree was full of them (maybe egrets or something simular).

7.5km this morning, chasing my local harriers running group because I slept in and missed the start by five minutes. I eventually caught the stragglers and ran the last bit at an easy pace.

Ran in my Merrell road gloves because they run on a nasty gravel track - looking forward to the morning tide dropping next week so that I can get back onto the beach.

Hi. I don't own one, but I've used one in the gym a lot. They are very effective and it's a great way to get cardio and use your body completely different from when you run. What I don't like is that if you don't have a tv or something to keep you entertained it is sooooo incredibly boring to sit there and row, and then it's hard on the back. No matter how right you do it, it takes it tolls on the lower back muscles and they have to get in shape for it and that takes time, so you can't just start and row a lot. You have to build it up, like everything else.

Thanks for the advice. I just heard about a friend who got bulged discs in his back from using one. I assumed it was due to bad form, but apparently not necessarily. I will make sure and include low back exercises into my weekly regimen -which I actually should be doing anyway.

4 miles today in VFF Komodos. 2nd run. Assessment =Ooouch WTF? They have toes. It wasn't until I cut the toes, straps, and side support rubber, off, that the quit hurting me. I suspect that since the toes slope slightly upwards, that is slightly tilting/bouncing me back toward my heel. About 10 minutes after the run from my lower heel up to my calf was a 7/10 pain. I did take out their 2mm inner sole, leaving me 4mm still. I think I am going to run in my Mocs, which are 2mm and zero supportive features - cuz this trussle has mostly rounded gravel. I just hate having cold toes and even though Mocs get wet, they keep your feet super warm.

4 miles today in VFF Komodos. 2nd run. Assessment =Ooouch WTF? They have toes. It wasn't until I cut the toes, straps, and side support rubber, off, that the quit hurting me. I suspect that since the toes slope slightly upwards, that is slightly tilting/bouncing me back toward my heel. About 10 minutes after the run from my lower heel up to my calf was a 7/10 pain. I did take out their 2mm inner sole, leaving me 4mm still. I think I am going to run in my Mocs, which are 2mm and zero supportive features - cuz this trussle has mostly rounded gravel. I just hate having cold toes and even though Mocs get wet, they keep your feet super warm.

I get you :) I don't like VFF's at all.I like the look of them,very much so.Tried them once took them off,continued bare :)

One-mile run-commute this morning:
-24F /-31C air temp;
-53F /-47C windchill.

Cold, cold, cold.

Forecast high:
-15F /-26C.
-50F/-45.5C windchill.

WTF?

Schools are closed, recycling postponed a day.

Afternoon flight to LAX.
I think I saw you drive by :hilarious:
1512381_735049973173792_1594199787_n.jpg

I get you :) I don't like VFF's at all.I like the look of them,very much so.Tried them once took them off,continued bare :)
I'm not a big fan of them either. I have a pair of speeds that I use strictly when doing weights out in my garage during the winter. That concrete floor gets pretty dang cold. I've tried running in them but the toes are too restrictive and hamper natural movement so I end up with massive tofp from them. I have ideas for how to fix them, like through production, but I highly doubt vibram would listen to someone like me...

8.3 miles total. Wet 44°F, many puddles, most of asphalt wet. Went on pond loop. Really did not want to deal with roads and traffic in this mush. First 3 miles in Sockwas, then feet got hot, so went S2G for 1.3 miles, but then feet got pretty cold, were getting numb, hurt a little. So put Sockwas back on until last 1.3 miles, when I took them off again. So 2.6 miles barefoot. Good endurance paced run. Feel like I'm making good progress on getting back to where I was before being sick. Now, a quick lunch before cleaning chicken coops....

Dancing on the agenda for tonight. :happy:

13.5km/8.4mi very slow, the heat is kicking in, it was already 25C/77F when I left home at 7:30am.

I wanted to leave earlier, but had a big night, and could not get out of bed....:embarrassed:

First time I have to stop for a drink (only water !!! :cool: ) half way through my run, it was so hot...

I went and did the Icicle 10-miler for my long run today. I did pick it up over the last half of the run and broke my 10-mile PR from Broad Street in 2008. Still not a great time, but I wasn't trying to race, just out there to enjoy myself and see what the course was like. Did feel a little slow on it, my legs weren't super springy, bu that doesn't matter, it's just an observation of how things were. And I sure can't complain that I picked up a PR in the process while not even racing it.

fri-ape caves with shoes on. shocked everyone. no proof. only one pic of me with shoes and it was my back. :p
sat-maf test. extremely slow at this lower pace. i'm wondering if i'm eating too much protein or i just haven't hit ketosis yet.
sun- hour bike ride

one thing that may turn out good. a class mate saw my left foot over pronating and may work with me to fix it. she's going to start on my psoas major, which is short and tight. she use to asses and correct people at her last job and even taught other chiros how to do it so i think she's well qualified.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmeiners11

Latest posts