Mileage Reporting 26th Week of 2013

Now I just figure I will increase mileage as my body dictates. I will run a certain mileage a week until it gets easy and then I will bump it up slightly and see how I feel. If I feel crummy I back it back down again to where I had been.

That sounds like a perfect plan!

Lee, so have you given up on the micro runs? I have been running about 5 days a week with two short days of under two miles and I have had an explosion of progress the last two weeks. I mean absolutely huge gains in pace. My pace on my long runs has increased by over a minute per mile, despite adding hills into the long run instead of just mostly flat. Not sure how come I am improving so much all of a sudden, but I think being able to run a consistent pace in my lunas has helped me tremendously as well as the two easy short runs each week. The lunas help me because I don't have to slow down on the rough crappy sections of road (which is exceptionally bad this summer because of all the construction going on) and I can maintain the same pace the whole run. I have a tendency to really slow down a ton when my feet are hurting because of the road (sidewalk) surface.

Lee, so have you given up on the micro runs? I have been running about 5 days a week with two short days of under two miles and I have had an explosion of progress the last two weeks. I mean absolutely huge gains in pace. My pace on my long runs has increased by over a minute per mile, despite adding hills into the long run instead of just mostly flat. Not sure how come I am improving so much all of a sudden, but I think being able to run a consistent pace in my lunas has helped me tremendously as well as the two easy short runs each week. The lunas help me because I don't have to slow down on the rough crappy sections of road (which is exceptionally bad this summer because of all the construction going on) and I can maintain the same pace the whole run. I have a tendency to really slow down a ton when my feet are hurting because of the road (sidewalk) surface.
Yah, the micro run experiment only lasted a month or so. But lately I have been feeling like adding at least a fourth run per week. It's just that I'm hesitant to mess with the success I've been enjoying these days running injury-free. And my pace has been falling anyway now that I'm running more consistently.

Five times a week, with perhaps two or three challenging runs and the others just-along-for-the-ride, recovery-type runs might be feasible, and I do like the way regular running keeps my legs loose. I'm just extremely wary of over-use injuries. For the time being I'll see how my legs respond to these longer runs I'm trying, and if that goes OK, I may try something like what you're doing. Or I may stick to the current plan of just trying to ride my bike more. In general, I've always liked the idea of giving any body area or activity a full 48 hours of recovery time. I've had pretty good results with the one day weights, one day running routine, and I stay fresh and motivated that way.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestion, I'll keep it in mind. It's great to see your running is going so well these days!

I think what works naturally for me is one day on, one day off, and I'll keep doing the intervals once a week, but in a less formal way..I still have a 14km run in August, which is more of a fun run (called City to Surf), finishing on the most famous Sydney beach (Bondi)...I still enjoy doing these runs, but will be taking it a lot less seriously

Today an 11.2km (6.9mi) run, in the rain...

A short 3 miles this morning. Bought a pair of Luna's yesterday. I may have paid more for them than I needed to but I feel they will be a worthwhile investment in the long haul.

It was one of those, they're right here why not buy them now type of purchases.

I have yet to run in them, bought them mainly to get rid of my crappy sneaker sandals and another pair that I keep handy for those "no shoes - no service" places.

I swam 25 minutes without stopping! At a slightly faster speed than I swam the 20 minutes without stopping last time. I think I've done something right!
Then I increased the current speed and swam two more 5 minute sessions. Very good swim time. :singing:

Thursday - Ran 5 miles in the evening with some somewhat stiff calf muscles. Had too at times walk a bit then run and go back to walking to relieve the tight muscles. This did seem to help some and ended up running 5 and walking 2 miles.

Friday - Ended up working too late on weeding some wild yellow cone flowers that had been overtaken by yep weeds. I did make good progress though and weeded nearly 3/4's of the 25 foot row they were planted in. Anyway worked till about 8:30 and thought about a run and decided nope it was time for some relaxation time for the evening.

Saturday - Got up at 5:00am and drove to the local trails and ran 5.0 miles. Had once again planned on a 6 mile distance but got a case of those other type of runs and HAD to cut it short. Blamed it on the fast food meals the day before. Calf muscles were not tight though so that was a plus. Temps were 65F with no wind.

Short swim lesson in a pool like mine, so very helpful.
12 mile road bike and it was already getting quite hot.
3 mile speed interval run of sorts in my Moc3's. Maybe more like a Fartlek workout. It was too hot to do a more intense speed workout. But my intervals on the miles were: 8:08, 7:57, and 8:15 so I'm pretty happy with it.
Serious afternoon napping because my husband told me to and I don't like to be too hard to get along with. ;)
Dancing is scheduled for tonight.

This week, I did three 6 mile runs. I've been running the 6 mile distance every other day for about a month now. I'll probably start to vary it a little and do a longer run on the weekend. An 8-9 mile run could be in the cards for tomorrow. The day off in between each run is a good time to work on flexibility, particularly in my calves.

Forgot to mention and I was meaning too, I got two comments during the run. "Where are your shoe?" My reply, "I don't need those things." The next comment I got by a min wearer going the other way, pointing to my feet, "Now that is what I'm talking about!"

I have a few standard replies to various questions/comments.

Where are you shoes?
They are chasing me.

Hey! Did you forget your shoes?
Hey! Did you forget your manners? (OK. This depends on how obnoxiously the question was asked.)

Nice shoes!
Thanks. My mom and Dad made them for me.

You're going to step on something!
Kind of hard not to.

Doesn't that hurt?
Oh yeah, I'm into pain.

Short swim lesson in a pool like mine, so very helpful.
12 mile road bike and it was already getting quite hot.
3 mile speed interval run of sorts in my Moc3's. Maybe more like a Fartlek workout. It was too hot to do a more intense speed workout. But my intervals on the miles were: 8:08, 7:57, and 8:15 so I'm pretty happy with it.
Serious afternoon napping because my husband told me to and I don't like to be too hard to get along with. ;)
Dancing is scheduled for tonight.

I really should get back into swimming. Regular swimming really seems to help soothe my ankles and upper legs after the ravishes of running. Brick (bike then run) after the swim. I'm impressed. I find that running after biking is one of the hardest things to master.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS

Latest posts