Mileage Reporting 18th Week 2013

Friday afternoon

Just bench press before my daughter's school carnival. I wanted to spend some time pyramiding down after my max bench of 215, so just did the bench press for 25-30 minutes and skipped the rest of my workout. I'm getting a bit impatient with my goal of getting back to my max bench of 225. The 215 went up easy, but not enough for a second rep, so I did two more single-rep sets and then a bunch of 3-to-5-rep sets at 195. 225 is something of a bench mark for the bench press. It's two 45lb Olympic plates on both sides of the bar, or four 25lb standard plates on both sides of a standard 25lb bar. It's also the standard weight they use on strength tests at the NFL combine (the big boys do 20-40 reps). Anyway, kind of like a 10-mile distance, or a 8mm pace, it's a little performance goal I have. Hopefully I can hit it next Friday.

Today I'll do the rest of my "Top" ST routine, and put off the LSD run for tomorrow, IBRD. I'm thinking of trying a 10-11 mile run down to the river.

He came back, and 300+ yards out of his way (our paths had been perpendicular), to start a fight. I'd had no idea he was behind me, riding on the sidewalk, when I suddenly found myself, him and his bike on the ground after he'd pushed me from behind.

All part of life's rich tapestry - especially in this blessed city!
That sucks Chris, but I guess it could've been worse. At least he didn't bonk you on the head with a baseball bat or something. Hope you heal up soon!

New York . . . New York!
And then, I do have to laugh at myself that I'm disappointed that I can "only" run 8 miles. That's a new "low." ha. :happy:
That's the spirit, the glass is half-full! Participating on this forum with so many awesome runners, sometimes we forget how well everyone is doing compared to the general population. Eight miles is already fantastic!

15 miles today, mixed trail and road.

Been trying to keep my pace low but every darn time I look at my Garmin I'm back in the 9s. It's bloody hard to run like a zombie, maybe need more brains mixed with my GU ;)
I'm confused. By low pace, do you mean faster?

Good news. I ran 13.1 miles today. The pace was on the slow side for me in some ways. First few miles were about 9:30 pace, then some at 9:15 pace, then slowed down again to 9:30, 9:40, 9:50 for the last 4 or so. Might be all the yard work I did yesterday? Still, my overall time for the distance was 2 hours 6 minutes, which I can live with (not that I have a choice).

I really concentrated on REALLY running lightly, which I don't have to try to do when I'm bare footed (and which I was when I ran the other 2 long distances lately). I only felt the tiniest occasional reminders of what happened the other 2 runs this week. I think it might be the trouble with switching to the Moc3s to prepare for the race. I've looked at the course and I think I would be miserable in bare feet, except for possibly the last 3 or so miles in town. I hope I can stop and take my shoes off then.

Coach Husband is encouraging me to put in a couple more miles this evening to get the benefits of a little more mileage for my last long mileage day before the race in 2 weeks. Meanwhile, more yard work because we have a wedding reception here in a month!

Oh, I wanted to tell you about one couple I passed. When I get up in the miles, I often tell people how far I've gone as a way of encouraging myself. So, when I passed them walking on a slight incline, I said, "At 10 miles, even this feels steep." The lady exclaimed, "Now I feel old." Which puzzled me such that I called back in a friendly way, "I'm 52..." She gasped. When I passed them again, going the other direction, I saw that they were indeed right around my age. They were friendly and I mentioned that I'm running my first official half marathon in 2 weeks, to which I go lots of emphatic encouragement. I think I made them feel younger just by showing it could be done. :)

NERD! But not nerdy enough for those that went before you.
:)

OK, just validating that I'm a nerd...I was listening to WWDTM on the radio today and was actually able to tell that they changed the theme song...nerd, indeed. But at least I didn't walk around all day saying "May the Fourth Be With You" (not really a sci-fi fan)

Miles run today - 0.0
Miles biked today - 0.0
Miles sailed today ~ 1.0 ish. It was opening day for the Elkhorn Yacht Club and I was "crewing" on a boat, meaning we toured the marina in a "parade" of four other boats, under power - except when the outboard died - then tied up and hung out in the clubhouse and at cheeseburgers).

Just back from 6.5-7km (45mins) down through town to the river Spree and back. testing out a temperamental achilles - looks like it's just tightness, though, so I'll be heading out again later for a jog around Tempelhof airport, which will be anywhere between 5-10km. See how things go.

Happy IBRD!

saturday: walk around nature center with kids, low key, about an hour swim, but lots and lots of interruptions. some good (had my daughter in the lane doing a few laps, working on kick and trying flip turns), some annoying (son kept getting out of water and getting a chill: once he gets a chill he doesn't warm back up again and just whines until we leave).

Went to the IBRD Texas addition run at Oakpoint park ran 2.7 very nice run with a few great folks cool weather cooler run!!

Got in my extra 2 miles yesterday to make it a total of 15.1 for my last high mileage day before my half.
TODAY had a fun group for Idaho's IBRD here in Nampa! There were even a couple of people I hadn't met before (although I knew they were coming). We might have run .5 miles. About half the group could not run for various reasons (post surgery, very new to running, hurt knee). It was fun!