Mileage reporting 14th week 2014

Laura, there are many books by many authors. a book store is a good place to look for them. :smug:

Rick, are you supposed to run that? man!

Which sit stand desk do you have? Do you like it?
I have this one: http://www.ergotron.com/ProductsDetails/tabid/65/PRDID/320/language/en-US/Default.aspx
I got it used. There are a lot more products out now, from Ergotron and others, like this one: http://www.amazon.com/VARIDESK-34603-PRO/dp/B00BBFXBF4.
I like my sit-stand desk. It's best for screen reading. The angle for typing isn't very good for me, I prefer to be sitting down. I also like to read books sitting down. But it's great for a break, for reading a PDF file or online document, or doing clerical work that doesn't require much typing. Ideally I would use it 15-20 minutes out of every hour on average. If I were to buy one now, I might go for one of the full desk models. Either way, it's a great way to break up the sitting, and according to some folks, just standing once in a while gives you a lot of the benefit of those treadmill desks, which seem like they would be awkward for me for anything but passive viewing. Through one of Abide's links earlier today, I stumbled on this article by Alex Hutchinson: http://www.runnersworld.com/health/beyond-standing-desks
I had kind of forgotten about him. I like his writing a lot. He's trained in real science. I got his book, Cardio or Weights?" which is a good summary of all the fitness variables.

Reactions: Sid
60 minutes of straight incline on tread shod in my old inov-8 road x lite 155's at a slow easy pace with (according to tread that is) 1050 feet of ascent. I did zero decline today and mostly stayed between 4-8% incline with a little below (down to 0.5%) and a little above that (up to 10%). I also tried to keep at a pace that kept my heart rate down and my avg heart rate was 158bpm (a little higher than I normally do on the tread). My form must have really gotten better because the last time I wore these shoes a couple years ago they hurt my knees. I did have issues with my middle and pointer toes on one foot which may have been me having the lacing too tight. Anyhow, these are not my favorite shoes but they are light and I am trying to find something that I may like since I seem to be moving more to having my soles covered somewhat. I actually just want something I can run long distances with as sandals seem to bother me in between the toes on long runs. Anyhow, guess I'll maybe stick to this thread from now on so I can be less offensive to some (ske) with my likes. Who can be mad at someone for liking someones running/workouts?

60 minutes of straight incline on tread shod in my old inov-8 road x lite 155's at a slow easy pace with (according to tread that is) 1050 feet of ascent. I did zero decline today and mostly stayed between 4-8% incline with a little below (down to 0.5%) and a little above that (up to 10%). I also tried to keep at a pace that kept my heart rate down and my avg heart rate was 158bpm (a little higher than I normally do on the tread). My form must have really gotten better because the last time I wore these shoes a couple years ago they hurt my knees. I did have issues with my middle and pointer toes on one foot which may have been me having the lacing too tight. Anyhow, these are not my favorite shoes but they are light and I am trying to find something that I may like since I seem to be moving more to having my soles covered somewhat. I actually just want something I can run long distances with as sandals seem to bother me in between the toes on long runs. Anyhow, guess I'll maybe stick to this thread from now on so I can be less offensive to some (ske) with my likes. Who can be mad at someone for liking someones running/workouts?
Oops, put this under the wrong week.

Reactions: Bare Lee
I've read that some of them can be a bit wobbly. Is that why you'd rather have the full desk?
No mine is pretty sturdy. A full desk might be preferable because then whatever material scattered to the sides of one's keyboard would rise to the same level too. Right now my sit-stand desk is at a 90-degree angle to my full desk, which works too. It's basically a computer desk augmenting my normal flat desk, which is just a door on top of two file cabinets.

http://m.theglobeandmail.com/life/h...he-cure-to-our-sedentary-woes/article4181415/

I wonder if working out twice a day would reduce the risks of sitting? I'm jogging with one dog in the morning and the other after work. At least the dogs seem happy! :p
Yeah, I think the more times you get up and move around the better. I have all my plyometrics and mobility stuff in my office too. Besides the health considerations, it's mentally refreshing to get up on one's feet for 10-20 minutes every so often.