Merrell Mud Run Series Barefoot Division

Was wondering if everyone knew that the Merrell Mud Run Series is having a barefoot division this year. I ran it last year in my VFFs, but this year they officially have a division for us! Apparently, when you register, you need to contact them to have them formally transfer you over to the new category. I'm still not sure if they allow COMPLETE barefoot (they mentioned you can wear their shoes, of course, or VFFs), but this is cool!

Do you have a link?  We can

Do you have a link? We can add the series to the calendar.

I was disappointed. Hubby

I was disappointed. Hubby would have liked to have done this actually barefoot last year and they didn't allow it. He did Warrior Dash totally bare.

HA!

HA!

I emailed them and am waiting

I emailed them and am waiting to hear back about whether they're "barefoot" division would actually allow for REAL barefoot. I don't think I would do it barefoot, though, if the race is at the same location as it was last year. I've been on that trail and its much to gravelly for my taste. There's also some wooden structures I had to climb that would be hard to scale without some sort of grip for me (I'm short).

Please let me know what they

Please let me know what they say about the BFR Division, Zap. I am mega curious.

So, as expected, the

So, as expected, the "barefoot" division should really be renamed the "minimal" division as it does not allow for true barefoot. Go figure. Sheesh! Say what you mean, Merrell... :|

Now that absolutely sickens

Now that absolutely sickens me.

I think a whole bunch of

I think a whole bunch of barefoot runners should show up at one time to at least one of their events and run it anyway. I would like to see what they do about it. I would like to see how people (on any side of the discussion) feel about that. What if a barefoot runner actually finishes before a shod/minimal runner. (They couldn't pluck that one off the course.) Would they seriously not give the medal to the barefoot runner?

Why don't they just rename their division to minimalist running division (or better yet, Merrell footwear only division)?

Please voice your dismay by

Please voice your dismay by contacting: [email protected]

Here's what their site says:

Race in the Merrell Barefoot Division!

Posted April 6, 2011.

Attention Racers! Interested in wearing barefoot shoes during the Merrell Down & Dirty Mud Run presented by Subaru? This year, for the first time, we are organizing a barefoot specific division, complete with special prizes for the winners. Complete the course in Merrell Barefoot shoes or Vibram Five Fingers and the first place winners will receive a certificate for Merrell Barefoot Shoes.

Don’t have a pair of Merrell Barefoot shoes? Visit Sports Chalet to get your pair in time for the race. Bring your receipt from Sports Chalet to the Merrell tent and receive a FREE pair of socks (valid only on Merrell purchases, all Merrell purchases accepted). Want to learn more about Merrell Barefoot? Visit merrell.com/barefoot for videos, training tips and more. Download Go Barefoot, the Merrell Barefoot training app for your iPhone, free at the iTunes app store.

E-Mail us at [email protected] to register for the Merrell Barefoot Division!

Okay, I have written to them,

Okay, I have written to them, and I will let you know what they say.

TJ-Here's the contact of the

TJ-

Here's the contact of the person who responded to my inquiry, in case you need it. Like I said, I don't think I would want to race this race completely barefoot, but I'm sure some of you want a chance at it. Power to the BFRs!

Krystle Van Deusen

MESP, Inc.

(818) 707-8866 x 31

Thanks, Zap!  They really

Thanks, Zap! They really should rename it though, call it a Minimalist Division (one with only Merrells and VFFs allowed) or allow the barefoot runners to run in the "Barefoot" Specific Division.

Seriously?  Cool Shirts? 

Seriously? Cool Shirts? Well then forget it. That's all that matters is that they have cool shirts.

Barefoot TJ wrote:Thanks,

Barefoot TJ said:
Thanks, Zap! They really should rename it though, call it a Minimalist Division (one with only Merrells and VFFs allowed) or allow the barefoot runners to run in the "Barefoot" Specific Division.
I totally agree, TJ. I really think its all about the marketing. Maybe by creating its own division they will get more people to buy their shoes. Clever marketing, but not the way to encourage people to go minimal. Can you imagine the injury carnage for people never racing in minimal shoes then buying them so they can race in a new division? Not sure that was their thought, but I can certainly see how it could happen that way.