Me and My Maf Zone

Yeah, it's pretty rough, setting the limits on the HRM and then forgetting about anything but running ... somehow I manage. ;)
Beep, Beep, always good to curb your enthusiasm :singing:.

At least you allow yourself the guilty pleasure of hill intervals and fartleks from time to time ;) .

Anyway, apologies for the trolling, just couldn't resist The Prisoner clip quip, please carry on. A lot of you guys have had success with this approach, and I can't even run anymore, so I'm out.

Reactions: Gordon
If I'm being honest, I don't actually set the alarm. I've gotten to where I can estimate my HR on any given day once I've calibrated my feel for it by looking at the monitor a few times. Day to day varies too much for me to just wing it. I hate that beep too. I know a number of people who haven't had any luck at all with MAF, and one experienced runner who got slower. They're all doing low volume, like < 3hrs/week.

Reactions: Bare Lee
If I'm being honest, I don't actually set the alarm. I've gotten to where I can estimate my HR on any given day once I've calibrated my feel for it by looking at the monitor a few times. Day to day varies too much for me to just wing it. I hate that beep too. I know a number of people who haven't had any luck at all with MAF, and one experienced runner who got slower. They're all doing low volume, like < 3hrs/week.
Yah, you mentioned in an earlier comment that you need to do high volume for it to work. I think I said or quoted something to that effect in a different thread. It's the Lydiard approach with data feedback. For a lower volume recreational runner, a mix of tempo, LSD, and hills/intervals is the usual recommendation for optimizing aerobic efficiency. But of course, for the recreational runner, doing what you enjoy most is really the only thing that matters, as long as it's sustainable.

Anyway, always good to experiment and find what works best for you, no doubt. The only thing I would sincerely critique is training dogmatism, but none of the Maffers here, including you, are dogmatic about it.

Reactions: DNEchris
Maf is here again, it's great that is working for some of you but for me there is no way Jose, it's very frustrating(not to mention embarrassing for me) going slower than I already am. Tried a couple of times but definitely is not for me.

oh youz guyz. it takes TIME to see any benies from maf training. around two months. expecting results from one or a few outings is like expecting your child to go out and get a job once they learn to stand. they first have to learn to stand steadily then take a few steps. once they do that then it's getting around. then it's terrible two's and so on before they become angsty teenagers. then you can make them go out and get a job but not before. everything takes time.

here's one guys example and him getting his "ah ha" moment.

http://runninginsystems.com/2015/09/19/running-maf/

It does take time, when I started about 6 months ago on a treadmill my speed was between 6.7 kph and 7.0 kph with incline at 3.0, now I'm between 8.8 kph and 9.5. My diet has been crap and feel I would be quicker if I improved my diet. I am 42 but as I have been ill with a few colds and flu twice in last 3 years, I keep my HR around 133, and touch wood not been ill since I started.

I think I'm a classic example of the dangers of a little information. I believe there's and entire book out describing the universe of MAF's training philosophy. I'm out here banging around with my borrowed HRM and hoping I'm not just queering my runs and being a general sort of idiot. Hi ho and on with life as usual.

Next weekend I have my first race of the fall- a 10K. Based on Lee's comment ("For a lower volume recreational runner, a mix of tempo, LSD, and hills/intervals is the usual recommendation for optimizing aerobic efficiency"), I shouldn't worry about corrupting the purity of my training regimen by going out and running with abandon, if not speed. I look forward to seeing if the last three weeks of HR consciousness is going to make the blindest difference in my performance.

Reactions: dharmadan