Looking for a work shoe?

Those are really cool,

Those are really cool, deviant. Not perfectly minimalist (wish they'd get rid of that raised heel) but SO much more minimalist than most work shoes. And they actually look like they would fit with khakis in an office environment very nicely unlike most minimalist shoes. I'll be interested to see how you end up liking them.

Yeah, $130 is kinda steep, but they do look like they're made with really nice materials, so I think the price is probably justified....

i'm looking for some new work

i'm looking for some new work shoes too as the water socks just don't cut it for me. the price is a bit steep but good shoes can be worth the price. the dharmas are on sale now so i may just buy the. i tried a local shoe store called wide shoes and they didn't have anything i was looking for.

i did try on the trail gloves today and didn't like the fit either. the minimus was nice. much better. for the next time i want some trail shoes.

mike

Those look great.. hrm.. will

Those look great.. hrm.. will have to think about them when it comes time for my next shoes..... I work in a hospital, and have a business casual dress code... I climb up and down about 10-20 flights of stairs in a shift plus lots of walking around on the floors (staff dietitian).. so I need shoes that will look professional and hold up.. but I really want something more minimal than what I have.

Deviant, you can't go wrong

Deviant, you can't go wrong buying Patagonia. No other company has invested so heavily in making a product that impacts the environment as minimally. I had the pleasure of spending time with the boss some years ago and can attest that those people are walking the walk, not just talking it.

And I almost forgot, great feet. Yer giving me toe splay envy!

Just looking at your pics.  I

Just looking at your pics. I see significant insole cushion. I also see significant toe spring which in less I missed it you did not comment on. Those two things would be deal breakers for me.

The dharma still has the toe spring, but your reviewed product has more toe spring. The toe box is OK on dharma, but I don't really have any extra wiggle room. I don't really promote TP vivo, but very few other options exist. Buy at your own risk. The industry still has a lot of improving to do on design.

Can't the heel-lift of this

Can't the heel-lift of this shoe be removed by taking out the insole? Are you saying that you use the insole anyway because the shoe would otherwise be rubbing your anklebone?

H.Explorer,
I totally agree that the industry has a lot of room for improvement. That's what the minimalist footwear movement is trying to fix. It's unfortunate though that we have people praising shoes that are sub-standard. The Merrells are a good example of that. (How can someone splay their toes if the toebox actually squeezes them together?)

I've got a pair of their

I've got a pair of their Tamboti model from which I removed the standard footbed and replaced it, for a while, with a 2mm flat insole. I've now removed that and find that my anklebones are not at all irritated.

As they are now they give great ground feel!

Humboldt, After wearing these

Humboldt, After wearing these for a few days... the toe-spring is noticeable but none of the options out there are without this. The wide toebox seems to make it less noticeable IMO and I feel like I have a bit of wiggle room. I never had an opportunity to try the Dharmas, but I would like to. There is just nowhere to try them on. I hate ordering shoes online sight unseen.

Nyah, Yes some of the heel rise can be eliminated by removing the insole. I tried the shoe without the insole and it rubbed my ankle bone. A flat replacement may be just enough to make the shoe not rub my ankle bone. It wasn't rubbing that much... but it did touch my ankle bone. Also, I like the shoe compared to the other options out there... not to be confused with praising the shoe as an excellent design; which I am not. This shoe has many flaws IMO, but my main requirement is a wide toe box and a somewhat thin sole. I only have to wear them for 8 hours/5 days per week. :)

As far as people praising the Merrells... I didn't like them. I know they aren't street shoes, which is where I was running in them. :/ They need to widen the toebox, lose the toe spring, shorted the back (achilles area)... for starters.

Chris, I am going to look those up. Although, I guess I am sticking with the Loulu's for now. They ought to last forever since I am only wearing them to work. As soon as I hit the front seat of the car... they come off. That's how I roll. LOL

BTW, my son likes the Merrells. His feet are already squished so he has no complaints. :)

There will never be a shoe that I like 100% of the time. Damn you barefooters sucking me in!!! I told myself I wouldn't hate shoes... but now I do. :D I like to think I am better for it though. LOL