Longest race you'd want to do

May as well ask. ;). My max right now would be marathon. I don't have the endurance yet. I also don't have the time to build my endurance.

I've got your problem of not enough time. I've got 2 marathons under my belt now and thinking in the future I'll have to get some more training miles in or back off my goal of maybe doing a marathon each year. I do enjoy the half marathon distance the most so far. But everyone has some pie in the sky goals right? I doubt I'll ever be able to do 100 miler or want to put myself through that. Its tough enough just to stay awake for that period of time let alone throw in the race! Though with my shiftwork maybe I am getting more training for that kind of thing than most!

For a goal that’s out of my grasp for a while, but maybe achievable at some point, is a 50 miler. So that’s my official answer to your question. But I suspect even a 50k may be many years away for me.

Good luck with your marathon goal. It certainly takes a lot of effort and time, but you can do it!

Well, as long as you asked...

I've been running for over thirty years and I've never run anything longer than a half-marathon. I just never had any desire to do anything longer.
I always liked the half-marathon distance, although it's been a long time since I've even done one of those. Maybe I'll get motivated to do another half one of these days - I haven't done a race longer than 10K since I started running barefoot almost 15 years ago. Time flies. Mainly now I just run for fitness and fun. Three to 5 miles a few times a week.

So to answer the question - a barefoot half is definitely something I'd like to do if I can find the time for proper training.

Like BFSailor, a half-marathon distance is a nice LSD run for me. You don't have to do any special training for it if you're already running long once in a while. But I'm also like Peter, in that I have no inclination to race at the moment. In fact, I'm really getting into running pre-dawn when no-one is around. I like the solitude and tranquility.