Lean Horse Ultra Marathon (50 mile) Race Report.

Feel free to spam me with

Feel free to spam me with your race reports anytime. I actually like to put them on the home page of the BRS's web site though...but you have to send them to me, give me permission, all that...

Congrats, Nick, on a huge

Congrats, Nick, on a huge accomplishment! I read some of your report and watched your videos. Did you really eat all that stuff? I guess you stash it along the course, so you don't have to carry it? How heavy was your camcorder? I hate carrying stuff when I run. It'd be nice to have a mini-mini camera with me sometimes though.

Hi TJ  I am including these

Hi TJ :)

I am including these details in the second half.

But.... The hydration pack was too heavy, my shoulders were suffering for days and they are still tight today from carrying it. I didn't stash anything along the route, everything was with me or supplied by aid stations.

At some point I dumped the bananas I had with me, and I increased my consumption of coconut water to decrease the weight. Dumping the bananas was a nice pound off the shoulders.

It was my first time and I'm learning. What can I say? !

I did start the morning eating that 1 liter of blended fruit. Then i had a nectarine before the race started.

At the aid stations I had some banana and some grapes and this fueled me very nicely. I never felt hungry or low on energy. At the later aid stations I even skipped some of the food as I felt like I didn't need anything else.

The gels I had brought were'nt eaten either. Next time, I'll bring my wife who can hang on to this stuff for me. If I could simply run with a handheld or two that would have been much nicer for sure!

The video camera is actually an IPod Nano, it takes pretty good video and is tiny for a video recorder.

I was just asking because I

I was just asking because I have yet to figure out what fuel is good for me on long runs too. And I was thinking any added weight would have just held me back. Pretty neat with the technology these days.

I know nutritionists will

I know nutritionists will debate endlessly so I'll not pretend to know the be all end all truth.

My personal experience with a raw vegan diet mean a diet that is largely made up of raw fruits supplemented with raw greens and veggies provides the closest feeling of actual health I have ever experienced. Nothing has ever come close to the results I get from eating this. From mental to physical health.

I saw a person who finished the Hallucination 100 describe the diet as "almost cheating" compared to his previous year on a more traditional diet.

Even if the diet doesn't hold an appeal to you on a lifestyle level, I would suggest giving it a shot the 14 days leading up to a long race like a marathon. I would be amazed if you don't feel similar results. And then you can of course return to whatever diet you enjoy when you rach the finish line :)

With all that said, I just finished my takeout box of greasy chinese food. I have been eating horribly since finishing the ultra. Like I can't get enough calories in me or something. I'll give it a couple of days, then back on the diet so I can race the marathon here in Sioux Falls in a week and a half :) (we'll see about that, I might need to nap instead of run that day).

Yeah I was considering a diet

Yeah I was considering a diet just like that. Do you add in any raw nuts?

So I read something recently about running you loase about 1 liter of water through sweat and hour. Is it ahrd to drink that much during the race? I noticed you said you drank 10-14 liters right?

I eat very few nuts. I do

I eat very few nuts. I do like a chopped avocado in my salad. But not every day.

When adhering to this diet you end up with more than 80% calories from carbs, less than 10% from fat and less than 10% from protein.

The only trick to succeeding is getting enough calories!

About the water loss, I imagine the ratios you heard are right give or take a bit.

Over the last 10-15 miles I felt I could have been drinking 50% more. So it's certainly not difficult to drink enough. I did stick to water though. Perhaps the various sugar waters are tough to keep drinking.

How much body weight did you

How much body weight did you lose over the course of that race?

I didn't check (no scale

I didn't check (no scale available).

But I didn't feel the need to eat till late that evening. And I sipped a single 1L bottle of water over the 5 hours driving home.

Not sure if that indicates anything one way or another.

But I certainly didn't feel like anything was running low and needed filling up.

I don't ususally desire much

I don't ususally desire much water after a long run either, but then I haven't tried for 50 yet.

Congratulations. I remember

Congratulations. I remember seeing you and another young guy in VFF Classics (I think he was attempting the 100) before the start. I ran the 100 mile. I'm a long time runner and ultra-marathon runner and am getting into more minimalist/barefoot running; looking to doing a 50 miler in my VFFs this Fall. I was suprised to see you (and several others) wearing packs for as well supported a race as Lean Horse was. Packs are good for races were you could be many hours between aid stations like some of the tougher mountain races. But live and learn right? Any word on how far the guy in VFFs made it in the 100? I remember seeing him still heading to the turn around; in fact we met at the 45/55 mile sign, he said Argyle road was pretty rough (I imagine so in Classics! Ouch!). FWIW I think the 100 mile course is a perfect venue for VFF or very minimalist footwear, perhaps some day...

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS

Latest posts