INT'L - International Barefoot Running Day

Discussion in 'Chapters' started by Paleo, Dec 28, 2010.

1. Paleo Chapter Presidents
    1. Deutschland-Ger...

Message Count:
    Date: Sun 05/01/11 4:00 AM - 3:00 AM EDT

Join in the fun for this great international event!

On 1 May 2011, barefoot runners will hit the roads the world over in a collective display of natural running. These will be fun runs of 1km, 5km or maybe 10 Km.

Proudly sponsored by the Barefoot Runners Society, the event is truly international, with over a dozen countries represented (at current count). We expect as many as several thousand runners worldwide. We will also be reaching out to other barefoot and running organizations, as well as inviting the press.

Our goal: a “critical mass” event to create awareness for BFR and to show the world just how much fun it can be.

Start time: Any time you find appropriate for your area.

Locations: As organized by local chapters. (A website for searching the locations will be available soon).

Distances: fun runs of 1km and 5km. Some locations my do other distances as well.

Mark your Calendar!

2. Erik Neves Chapter Presidents

Message Count:
    Are you sure you want to start the run at 1 PM? At that time, in Brazil, the asphalt will be blistering, so our run will start at 9 AM, at the same time as the Worker´s Day Race held here.
  3. tao.of.gemini Chapter Presidents
    1. Presidents
    2. Colorado
    3. Florida -...
    4. Florida - Miami
    5. Florida -...
    6. Florida -...
    7. Florida - Tampa

Message Count:
    I tend to agree with an earlier start. Ihost an event every year for World Tai Chi and Qigong Day and our start time is 9am as well.

Please let me know if you plan on changing to an earlier time so that Ican begin planning and marketing our event her in Northeast Florida!!

steve

4. Paleo Chapter Presidents
    1. Deutschland-Ger...

Message Count:
    Hi Everyone,

The 1 PM start time is just a suggestion. The local organizers are free to set their event as they see fit, in particular if they are making it part of an existing race or fun run.

We orginally wanted to have a specific time, where everyone all over the world would be running at the same time. But the time zone differences make that impossible. The 1 PM waschosen due to the fact that it is a Sunday, which means that many American churchgoers would not be able to make that time.

I am seeing now, that the majority of the local events will probably occur at some other time than 1 PM.

Cheers

Paleo

5. tao.of.gemini Chapter Presidents
    1. Presidents
    2. Colorado
    3. Florida -...
    4. Florida - Miami
    5. Florida -...
    6. Florida -...
    7. Florida - Tampa

Message Count:
    How was the day and date picked?Iam asking because Ihave been doing events for the World Tai Chi & Qigong Day for the last 7 years. The date is the Saturday around the 24th of April-- this it is the 30th. We have over 70 nations that participate in the event globally.

Have you considered making it a Saturday (perhaps the first or second saturday of may ) or something like that rather than a Sunday? attendance may be higher on saturday (like you said church goers).

6. Kittyk Chapter Presidents
    1. Ohio
    2. Test Chapter

Message Count:
    on the 1st May... As this is the date of the Vancouver Marathon and we have a number of BF'ers attending.

Do we have any publicity/promotion stuff happening yet for this event? I would like to start contacting the media about the BF meetup at the Vancouver Marathon and I would prefer it to be tied to the world-wide event.

If you can let me know if there are any press-statements regarding the event I would be appreciative.
  7. Paleo Chapter Presidents
    1. Deutschland-Ger...

Message Count:
    Please see the discussion of the date and day choice in the initial post:http://www.barefootrunners.org/build2/forum-topic/international-barefoot-running-day

You'll note there that I asked for feedback on the Sunday question. Aside from the couple of posters who stated that a 1 PM start would still be okay, I received no feedback (positive or negative).

Experience shows that Sundays are better for running events, because most people have more time. Statistically, it yields better turnout. Saturday is a work day for some, and it is the day when many people do errands and go shopping.

At this point, we are no longer able to change the date. Sorry.

Cheers

Paleo

8. Paleo Chapter Presidents
    1. Deutschland-Ger...

Message Count:
    We are currently working on the Website, press releases, logos etc. The strategy is as follows:

1. Get the website running.

2. Get some local events posted (the more the better).

3. Send out the first press releases.

We can't send out a press release saying how great this is going to be with just a handful of events listed.

As soon as the website is running, the local organizers (and I think you, KittyK, said you would help here for Vancouver) should post their local event (address, time etc.).

The press releases need to go by early February because the magazines usually have a long pipeline.

I will keep everyone posted by way of the International Chapter.

Cheers

Paleo

9. Barefoot TJ Administrator
    1. Nomad
    2. Presidents

Message Count:
    Hi Kitty,

Can't you use the Marathon meetupAS your International Barefoot Running Day meetup? I was thinking that if we could have the individual/local meetups at race events (for those that have them in there areas on that Sunday, since apparently, we won't be changing the date to a Saturday), it would get the word out a little more to the other runners taking part and the spectators.

Thoughts?

TJ

10. Kittyk Chapter Presidents
    1. Ohio
    2. Test Chapter

Message Count:
    Hi TJ,

That's my plan, as soon as the Intl event was mentioned it seemed logical to tie the two together. The event is part of the International BF running day.

I want to start promoting the Vancouver Marathon BF run, but I want to do this as part of the global effort. This is why I was wondering if there was any press releases about the International event, so I can start the ball rolling with the media here.

Sorry, re-reading my last post, it did sound a little confusing.. Next time I post late at night, just kick me, okay? :D Like now in fact...:)

Kate
  11. tao.of.gemini Chapter Presidents
    1. Presidents
    2. Colorado
    3. Florida -...
    4. Florida - Miami
    5. Florida -...
    6. Florida -...
    7. Florida - Tampa

Message Count:
    We are in the process of planning our event for IBRD and will update you asit unfolds. There are no immeadiate local races so we are developing our own event.

12. TheZenRunner Chapter Presidents

Message Count:
    Hi,

Here is the programme for Belgium on May 1st:

Location : Brussels, Woluwé St-Lambert, on Start & Finish on Falon Stadium.

Will take place at an Urban Tour event.

Distances :
    • 1km on track, fully bare @ 9:45 am
    • 6 or 16 km bare or with Minimalist shoes in surrounding parks @ 10:30 am
    Will keep you posted.

All the best,

The BareBer