International Barefoot Running Day - 1 May 2011

Paleo

Barefooters
Oct 14, 2010
Bonn, Germany
Visit http://barefootrunners.org/ibrd (or the IBRD tab above) for the latest info on this international event and an event local to you.

Join in the fun for this great international event!

On 1 May 2011, barefoot runners will hit the roads the world over in a collective display of natural running. These will be fun runs of 1km, 5km or maybe 10 Km.

Proudly sponsored by the Barefoot Runners Society, the event is truly international, with over a dozen countries represented (at current count). We expect as many as several thousand runners worldwide. We will also be reaching out to other barefoot and running organizations, as well as inviting the press.

Our goal: a “critical mass” event to create awareness for BFR and to show the world just how much fun it can be.

Mark your Calendar!

Start time: All Day! As organized by the local chapters (see FAQ, below)

Locations: Everywhere! As organized by local chapters. (See barefootrunners.org/ibrd).

Distances: fun runs of 1km and 5km. Some locations my do other distances as well.

We will also be running a t-shirt contest for the event and then selling the t-shirts via the BRS website. (See the sticky topic for more information)

Many of the local chapter admins have already offered up their support (Thanks!). We will post the important details to this Forum entry. If you are willing to help in your area, please see the entry below (it won’t require more than an hour or two of your time), and please enter an event via the Entry Form link at barefootrunners.org/ibrd.

For more information see the FAQ below. If you want to become involved in organizing a local event, please join the international chapter and send me private message.

FAQ (General)Are minimalist

FAQ (General)

Are minimalist shoes welcome?

Of course! It is part of the BRS mission to include and support minimalist shoe running. We still see barefoot as the non-plus-ultra, but minimalists are running on the same spiritual wavelength, and they are more than welcome.

Can I invite my shod friends?

As hard as it is to admit that some of our loved ones still run in shoes, it might still not be everyone’s thing. Yes, of course, those wearing shoes are welcome, as long as they are open to the idea. Better yet, try to convince them to run barefoot just for 1km. They might even find it enjoyable.

I have a race planned on that day. Can I count that as part of IBRD?

Yes, of course. We would be delighted to have groups of barefooters running in races or other events. At the end of the day, we want to be able to say “thousands ran together barefoot today.” The time of day is open.

How should we organize it at the local race?

As simply as possible. Just arrange for the barefooters to meet just before the start of the race, so that you can start together, maybe take some photos, or maybe have your photo taken by the local press.

How should I organize it, if we're doing our own meeting? (Not part of an existing race.)

As simply as possible, just as long as everyone has fun. Local organizers are free to set up their local meetings as they judge suitable. Some might want to start early in the day to avoid the heat. Some might want to start late to accommodate church-goers. Some might want to run on trail, others on a track. Some may wish to do a timed event, others will emphasize a fun run.

How will BRS support me in getting this organized?

We're doing several things:
  • The website will have a listing of all the local events, so that anyone who is interested will know when and where to meet.
  • We'll be providing press releases for you to send to the local press or running groups to inform them about the event.
  • We'll make a set of "talking points" available, so that you won't be at a total loss for words.
  • We'll provide ad hoc advice, as you go along.
Do we have to buy a t-shirt?

No. The t-shirts will be optional. But, they will become a most coveted collectors’ item. Part of our goal is to attract some attention—a show of bare pride if you will. The t-shirts would help with that.

Do I have to register for the event?

No. It is a big grass roots thing. We’re hoping that the local admins will gather a count and report it to us. We might have a voluntary sign-in sheet on the website.

FAQ (for helping out

FAQ (for helping out locally)

Here are the duties that would fall to the local coordinators (according to our current planning):
[*]Identify a location in your area.[*]Identify the appropriate local media and send them the press release (to be prepared centrally)[*]Send the press release to local running organizations.[*]Answer questions from the press or the local organizations. (We’ll prepare “talking points”)[*](Maybe) hold mini-workshops (15-30 min.) on BFR prior to the appointed hour (or find someone willing to do so).[*]Run 1km or 5km [*]Count the numbers of barefooters, minimalists, and “newbies” who show up, and report the count to me.

The success of the event on a worldwide scale depends on what happens locally.

We really need some volunteers in the following areas (which do not yet have local admins):

Vermont, New Jersey, Alaska, Hawaii, Maine, Rhode Island, New Hampshire, New York, Indiana, Mississippi, West Virginia, Arkansas, Alabama, Idaho, Wisconsin, Wyoming, South Carolina, South Dakota, North Dakota

If you live in one of these states, please consider becoming the local admin and also lending a hand with IBRD.

NEW: Information for getting the word out about your event:

Please consider doing some or all of the following:
What will the central organization be doing to help?
[*]Setting up the website, which includes setting up a database of local meeting points, so that anyone can search it.[*]Writing the Press Releases for sending to the local press[*]Drafting "talking points" for dealing with the local press or other interested parties.[*]Answering your questions[*]Running the T-Shirt contest and T-Shirt sales (via BRS and Zazzle)[*]Reaching out to major running organizations and to the media[*]more.... as it occurs to us

If you are willing to help, please join the international chapter and send me a PM.

Great work, Paleo!  You're

Great work, Paleo! You're doing a fine job.

Awesome. I will try and help

Awesome. I will try and help as much as I can. But I will be in Afghanistan then, so I guess I can get a bunch of the guys I work with to run barefoot, not sure of how long we will be able to run for though. Possibly the first barefoot run in a combat zone? I dont think I have heard of that one yet.

That's totally cool, Eric.

That's totally cool, Eric.

I finally found a race in my

I finally found a race in my local area on that day, but it is a 1/2 Marathon. Since 1-5K is recommended, would it be a problem having IBRD at that race? It is a pretty big race in Wichita, so there will be a big turnout for runners, but I doubt anyone wanting to just "try" barefoot running will want to run the 1/2 barefoot. I was hoping they would have shorter events too like a 5K, but looks like there is only the 1/2 marathon. How should we handle an event like that? The race starts at 0730, so it would be hard to do our own barefoot thing beforehand, and if I run the 1/2, I'm sure I wouldn't want to do even a short run afterward. That I know of, in my area there are only 2 people that run barefoot for longer distances...myself and SloPanda.

I am rolling here in Des

I am rolling here in Des Moines. There are no local races that I can find so I am organizing a gathering at Grays Lake park in Des Moines. One loop around the lake is just under 2 miles so there will be stopping and walking points along the way.

I am speaking at two healthy living expos, one at the end of January and the other at the beginning of April and i will promote our event at that time as well as media both social and local.

Cheers,

Angie

We have artwork you can use

We have artwork you can use for this, Angie. I'll email it over to you.

TJ, We are almost finalized

TJ,

We are almost finalized our location and event as well for the Jax Area, FL Chapter. So please pass the artwork on to me as well. I should have the event details completed in the next few days (we had no local races either - so we are barefoot'n are own).

Done.  It should be in your

Done. It should be in your inbox.

If anyone else wants the artwork, please let me know. Paleo was waiting to send it out until Stomper had secured the URL we planned to use. That URL/site is not functional yet though. They are in the process of building the page/s now, so we hope to have it ready by the end of this month. The URL is www.BarefootRunningDay and www.BarefootRunners.org/build2/IBRD. Keep checking back to see when they come online. The first one is the public site and will contain the major info along with some extras; the last one is the club's private site (BRS) and will be used to gather the details of the individual events going on around the world via online forms you all will fill out. The first one will link to the second one.

Anything you want to add, Paleo?

I'm signed up for the Lehigh

I'm signed up for the Lehigh Valley St. Luke's 1/2 Marathon in Allentown, PA that day. I'll send a note to the organizers to publish a call to BF / M runners to gather in spirit if not in person.

---->I sent them the following attached to a request for help with publicity on 2/16:

International Barefoot Running Day

On 1 May 2011, barefoot runners will hit roads and trails the world over in a collective display of natural running. There will be fun runs of 1km, 5km or maybe 10 km and gatherings of barefoot runners and friends at other events all around the world.

Proudly sponsored by the Barefoot Runners Society, (www.barefootrunners.org) the event is truly international, with over a dozen countries represented (at current count). We expect as many as several thousand runners worldwide. We will also be reaching out to other barefoot and running organizations, as well as inviting the press.

Our goal: A “critical mass” event to create awareness for BFRand to show the world just how much fun it can be.

Start time: All Day! As organized by the local chapters.

Locations: Everywhere!

Are minimalist shoes welcome?

Of course! It is part of the BRS mission to include and support minimalist shoe running. We still see barefoot as the non-less-ultra, but minimalists are running on the same spiritual wavelength, and they are more than welcome.

I have a race planned on that day. yes" Can I count that as part of IBRD?

Yes, of course. We would be delighted to have groups of barefooters running in races or other events. At the end of the day, we want to be able to say “thousands ran together barefoot today.”

How should we organize it at the local race?

As simply as possible. Just arrange for the barefooters to meet just before the start of the race, so that you can start together, maybe take some photos, or maybe have your photo taken by the local press.

Hello everyone,Were

Hello everyone,

We’re live to go with the IBRD webpage, which means we can start setting up the local events. The crash of the BRS-site set us back a few weeks, but we’ve been working hard and it’s working now.

Please go to http://barefootrunners.org/ibrd. There you will find links both to the listing of the events and to the form where you can enter your events.

Please enter your planned events as soon as possible to the entry form. (Some of you have already entered them in the Calendar. Thanks! You do not need to use the entry form, I will copy the information to the listing.)

There is also an FAQ for those hosting events. You’ll find the link on the page for the event entry form.

We will also be hosting a parallel website, dedicated just to IBRD. When it is up and running, I'll let you all know

If you still have any questions, feel free to write to me at [email protected].

Cheers,

Paleo

If you can get any friends to

If you can get any friends to join you, you could make it an official IBRD group meetup. ;-)

I'll be running the Broad

I'll be running the Broad Street Run that day and will gladly wear the t-shirt. If you have kids' sizes, maybe I can get them for the kids to run their kids' dashes barefoot, too!

There is pretty high interest in and awareness of BFR/minimalist running around here anyway, so this will be more about camaraderie building, I think.

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test

Latest posts