I want some opinions...

Efrem

Chapter Presidents
Dec 23, 2011
You know what they say about opinions but: A representative from a company making a wearable device that goes inside shoes has offered to fly me out to Europe to study my running form. What do you all think about that? I mean, about having my barefoot running form that I spent years developing, getting used to sell a device that goes in shoes. Is that a bad thing? Should I ask for money or do you think the free vacation is sufficient payment? Would you do it?

I can see why you are struggling.

Will they be studying your running form while barefoot or shod? You're not used to running in shoes, so your form will no doubt suffer, and that alone will be a bad representation of your form/barefoot running form.

Is this device a permanent part of the shoe, or can it be moved from shoe to shoe?

What is the end-purpose of this device? To promote healthy running? To develop shoes? To sell shoes?

Honestly? It sounds like a conflict of (your) interest. You are an ardent barefoot runner. You represent barefoot running and barefoot runners everywhere. Many of us know who you are and respect you for your commitment.

If you do decide to do it, get money, money, money. Seriously. If they are in the business to make money, and they are, then why give them a freebie. You charge!

Why be an unpaid consultant? Only if you've got excess time on your hands (or feet) and no $ to spare, then yeah, free trip....why not?
You finished your math program or currently a student on summer break?

It is a startup that involves a device that goes in shoes in combination with some kind of running coach app that they want to develop by analyzing the data from people wearing the device. That's all the information I have now. They representative I talked to said the device gathers some metrics of running form. Thanks for your input and I'll keep you all posted on it.

By the way, let me plug my meetup group that happens once monthly in Oakland, California.
http://www.meetup.com/Lake-Merritt-Barefoot-Running-Meetup

I've had it going for several months now. It's usually just bare_ftazn and I, but occasionally we have another person or two. We run around Lake Merritt. As for myself, my running feels great and I feel in the best shape ever. I've been running trails every day and up and down a lot of steep hills. I feel super strong, and (yay!) no achilles tendon problems for almost a year. I haven't been running any marathons or road races but I've run a few trail races and did pretty well. Cheers y'all.

You finished your math program or currently a student on summer break?
I finished school last year and I've been unemployed/free-lance coding and doing data analysis over the last year. One reason I got involved with the group I'm asking you all about is that I've been looking for work, particularly with data gathered by wearables or fitness applications. A friend of mine was on vacation in Denmark and met this guy, and told him he has a friend who is a dedicated barefoot runner and things went from there.