I had a barefoot epiphany last weekend

Matt M

Barefooters
Sep 6, 2010
Sioux Falls, SD
Due to life circumstances, I have not been able to run as regular as I would like and with the weather cooling down considerably where I live, I haven't been able to get outside as much either. So, my runs have been under 2 miles pretty consistently and have also been in Vibrams since my health club requires footwear. I am a pretty consistent 8 minute mile runner, it's a pace that I'm comfortable at.

Well, Thanksgiving morning, I went for a run with my wife outside as it was 41 degrees. She's a MUCH slower runner than I am (like 13 minute mile slower), but I enjoy running with her. I started off barefoot thinking I wouldn't go more than a mile barefoot and then put the Vibrams on. I ended up running 2.5 miles of the 3.5 mile run barefoot (and probably could have run further, but I didn't want to push it).

So my epiphany is this, turns out, if I run slower, I can run further barefoot. I would previously find my pads burning after a mile or so. Maybe I just need to slow down so that I can run further... who knew!

Matt I had the same thing a

Matt I had the same thing a while back. What I am finding is that my form is better at the slower pace. I've been finding though that I am getting faster without trying. The other day I ran 6 miles all barefoot at a 12:30 avg pace. I have one hole in my left foot where I stepped on something that punctured my sole. No other problems what so ever. Used to be at that pace I could only do 3-4 miles just a month ago or so and would have quite a bit of wear and tear.

There's no doubt that running

There's no doubt that running barefoot takes a whole lot less energy, so we are able to give our run more and get more out of it.

Good observation, Matt.  May

Good observation, Matt. May be a helpful tip to others too.

What? There are ultra jumping

What? There are ultra jumping events? I guess I should start working on my high and long jumps!

Really though, I dont think that the difference between a 8MM and a 12:30MM should be affecting your feet too much provided your form isnt falling apart at higher speeds. Ive been running a WHOLE lot slower lately, but when I was running faster (BF) I wasnt having any plantar skin issues.

Basically just focus on your form, I think that will help alot!

That's funny, I've recently

That's funny, I've recently found that my form is much better at a faster pace. Of course my previous pace was around 11:30-12 MM, so now I'm up at 10-something and feel much better. It's good to figure it out though, it makes running so much more fun when everything just clicks.

Yeah, something definitely

Yeah, something definitely clicked that weekend. I have noticed that since I've been running inside with Vibrams that my form tends to go, specifically my feet. I'll notice that my feet scuffle on the floor on occasion and that's only running no more than a mile! I constantly need to remind myself to pick my feet up. At any rate, I love love LOVE those epiphanies we get when things seem to click.