I Fear Footwear

barefoottyler

Barefooters
May 3, 2010
Many friends and family have been encouraging me to wear VFFs or something like it. The only time it would seem necessary is on gravel or really hot asphalt, but in order for me to be comfortable enough to run in them I would have to wear them for a while.

That is what I am afraid of. What if I run in them too much and loose my barefoot touch? That would suck. How do you stop yourself from overusing the VFFs or other minimalist shoes?

BTW I have some walmart aquasocks. They feel fine when I run, but I haven't went a long distance with them. Maybe I will throw them on during my next run.

The VFFs have their own

The VFFs have their own problems. I'll wear them when it's too hot or too rough for my bare feet, but I'm prone to blisters in them. Plus, it's just not as fun with shoes on (even minimalist toe shoes). If you love running barefoot, you're probably not going to accidentally get carried away and start running the majority of your miles with shoes.

i agree that the shoes wont

i agree that the shoes wont suddenly keep you from enjoying barefoot running. i enjoy a good vff run and tend to do my longer runs in them but a good barefoot run will always rank highly on my scale. i'm a mid-day runner so the vibrams come in very handy here in out 100 degree temps with ground temps much higher than that.

i also get a lot of people who think i need protection from the elements when i go completely bare but they just dont get it. you've aqua socks which are good enough so wear those if you need a minimal shoe and you're good.

I thought this might be a

I thought this might be a problem for me as well, but I was wrong. I actually despise wearing any shoes and pretty much limit my VFF's to the gym or on a extremely rough trail. It's not the sole that bothers me but having something on the top of my foot?