I can finally walk...

fetish4running

Barefooters
Jun 5, 2010
After 3.5 LONG weeks, I can put weight on my foot and actually walk w/o holding my foot in a stiff way. My husband bought me a post-op shoe that I have been wearing for the last week and I'm sure it's helped a lot. Obviously, I must have had a stress fracture. I'm still not able to run and I don't dare even walk on the roads barefoot yet. The last thing I want to do is slow down the healing.

I sure have learned a lesson. I will never ignore my body again. I always hate taking time off for little pains, but I've learned that a few days off is way better than taking weeks off. This has been very difficult for me. I didn't realize how much I need to run. I'm having trouble sleeping and I feel very...restless without it.

I'm glad you are on your way

I'm glad you are on your way to recovery, Fet! I know what it's like to not be able to run, so I feel for you. But you'll get there.

Have you found out if your

Have you found out if your foot ligaments were torn yet, Wendy?

I've been wondering about

I've been wondering about you, Wendy. Do you have a verdict yet? Not being able to run is so frustrating. But not even being able to walk has been enough to drive me mad. I made myself wear that stupid post-op shoe every day, all day. I haven't taken a walk or done anything. I've been cranky, depressed and just down-right worried because it just didn't seem to be getting any better. I finally turned a corner yesterday. I didn't realize how much I need to run until I couldn't.

I'll be waiting to hear something good from you Wendy!

One thing that can help, if

One thing that can help, if you have a high arch, is to wear an arch support while healing. It takes the strain off the top of the foot tendons and gives them a rest. I would imagine it could also help with a fracture.

Nothing yet, another week

Nothing yet, another week and a half until I see orthopedics, still waiting on an MRI appointment. Apparently, they wait until they have a mini bus load and take us all down to the Korean University hospital together. That is good because I won't have to figure out how to get there, but bad because I'll probably be there all day while everyone gets their MRIs. It still hurts to walk, but the less I walk on it the better it feels.

On the up side, I've made good headway on the next newsletter :)

Nice job staying positive. 

Nice job staying positive. Unless you're faking! Sounds like you will have a long day. Do you speak the language? or at least understand it somewhat? Medically speaking, it's my understanding that Korea is pretty comparable; so that's good!

I've had a lot of practice

I've had a lot of practice staying positive, LOL. No, I don't speak the language, but I can probably figure out the instructions to "sit here" and "hold still" :) I'm pretty sure they send an interpreter with us though. Yes, the medical here is very good, but they will only do the MRI, the radiologist and orthpedist at the Air Force hospital will read it.

I tried out the hand bike yesterday, it is pretty cool and seems like a good upper body work out. I think I can get my heart rate up at least enough for base building if I have to have surgery. I started running in 2007 and then missed 8 months due to abdominal surgery, post-op infection, and the ensuing RA flare up (plus my doc started monkeying around with my RA medication and made it worse.) If I can get through that and keep running, I'll get through this too :) Running will be part of the rest of my life, a couple of months off here and there won't ruin it.

You're right.  It can be

You're right. It can be done. I keep telling myself this will be similar to all the times I took off to have a baby. I survived. But it's been a really long time!

BTW, what's a hand bike? I really haven't been doing much to keep my heart rate up. I hate biking!

Fet, it'll get better.  You

Fet, it'll get better. You are strong. You are resilient. Raising that many young uns, you can do anything!

Wendy, Nate Facebooked (Is that a word? If not, I just made it one. Anywho...) me an article about a podiatrist who is a barefoot convert now and in the article he mentions he had the same condition you may have and used an alternative treatment to surgery. Read on:

MUST READ--Post by a barefoot Podiatrist Steve Bloor

by Nathaniel Wolfe on Wednesday, August 25, 2010 at 6:28pm
Hi all
I just wanted to say how wonderful everyone has been whilst I've been a member of the SBL this last 5 months.

As a practising Musculo-skeletal Podiatrist I HAD believed what most podiatrists are taught about "feet being born broken" and how most of the world need our wonderful orthotics. Of course they didn't put it in those terms, but when it came down to it almost everything we were taught about the biomechanics of gait meant we saw about 75% of the world's population as having built-in mechanical problems in their feet and legs requiring podiatrists to fix them with foot orthotics. I don't believe that now!

I am in fact a designer of a range of foot orthotics which are sold throughout the world and are used by 80% of UK NHS Podiatry Departments. So, for me to be converted to the whole "Barefoot phenomenon" is a real miracle!

I now believe most problems with poor biomechanics are only significant when the foot is encased in a shoe! It's the footwear that triggers the problems we see as podiatrists.

I initially gained interest in the subject of barefoot gait after following the research on the evolution of the Human Foot and reading the articles in the press about Christopher McDougal's book 'Born to Run'.

I started walking barefoot very tentatively with short walks on the local sea cliff paths. I have to admit it was an experiment, but I actually wanted to be proved wrong. I wanted to believe that feet were actually well designed and could cope with the stresses and strains of normal life, but I was a little anxious. I had "broken, weak, hypermobile feet" which 'needed' and had been supported by stiff shoes and orthotics for over 20 years. I had ruptured the Lisfranc's mid-foot ligaments in one foot, and though having prolotherapy to stimulate the regrowth of my ligaments, believed I had a life sentence wearing orthotics.

In fact I believed most of my patients had life sentences in orthotics.

Not any more!

I have gradually transitioned to 24/7 barefoot walking, even at work. I have my own podiatry clinic so I make the rules. I have a sign out front saying "Barefeet Welcome Here"! Being barefoot in the clinic really helps as I talk about the benefits of barefoot walking and running and teach rehabilitation exercises. My patients are barefoot anyway so I can examine their feet. My barefeet make them feel more comfortable!

I am also running upto 3 miles in 30 minutes - BAREFOOTED! Not done run that far in 20 years even with shoes! In fact I'm running far better barefooted than I ever did in shoes. I mean in running style and fitness.

I also hike for hours barefooted as I lead a weekly Health Walk Group for Natural England.

Thank you, SBL members, for being such a wonderful inspiration to a humble podiatrist as he discovers the truth about feet.

It really is exciting, after 25 years in podiatry, to be seeing everything with a new pair of eyes!

And a new pair of feet!!

Long Live the SBL!

Steve Bloor

Clinic: 01326 565 565 Mobile: 07966 09 02 08

www.stepfree.co.uk

Thanks TJ, that sounds like

Thanks TJ, that sounds like what the doc thinks I did. Won't know for sure until I have the MRI though. (Hmmm, need to check and find out why I don't have that appointment yet.)

Fet, a hand bike, or hand crank bike is one you power with your hands instead of feet.

images

You often see them at the begining of marathons for people that don't have leg function. There are lots of table top stationary bikes that can double as a hand bike, but the ones at our gym are purly hand bikes and look like some sort of airplane cock pit, LOL. I'll try taking a picture the next time I'm there. It is a good workout, but I've read some drawbacks like that we don't have the cappillary developement in our upper bodies to get a good enough work out yadda yadda. I haven't done a full work out on one yet, only 10 minutes at the tail end of a cardio day, but it seemed pretty tough to me! (Might not be enough of a challenge to guys though, my DH didn't think much of it :)

Doesn't your upper body just

Doesn't your upper body just get exhausted? But I suppose that's the whole idea, huh? I've been toying with getting a membership at the Y, but the trouble is that as soon as I'm able to run, I'll be done with it (the Y). I've never been a gym person. I'm already at 4 weeks, so what's another couple weeks?

I'm anxious to hear about your MRI. Let us know!

Totally off topic...is your poodle (Lucy, right?) a huge baby? My husband took Charlie to the vet yesterday and he cried almost the whole time! He even cried when he was weighed! He started bawling the other day 'cause my brother's dog sniffed his butt! I thought something had happened and he was hurt, but my husband saw the whole thing! Crazy!

Fet, how old is your new dog?

Fet, how old is your new dog? Could something traumatic have happened to him in the past that makes him act that way? I'm sure with all the love you guys are giving him, he will come around; he may still be a bit skittish, but more calm. Poor baby.

He's only 4.5 months old and

He's only 4.5 months old and we've had him since he was 11 weeks old. And believe me, he's treated like a king here! Our vet said poodles are very sensitive and acted as though it was fairly normal. He's confident and happy at home with us. But he probably isn't going to appreciate being castrated next week...

Could something have happened

Could something have happened to him in those first 11 weeks? Ooh! The castration...that will set him back a bit. ;-)

I had a chihuahua for years. When we got him is was already a few years old. He acted very gittery, nervous all the time, so I thought he had been mistreated. Then I got to know the breed and realized that his behavior was "normal" for that breed. Knowing that made me feel better for him.

I doubt that he was

I doubt that he was mistreated at the breeders. It wasn't a very nice place, but she seemed to really know and love the dogs. Plus, when he cries, I don't really feel that he's scared...I feel like he's a giant baby. Does that make sense? He's not at all a nervous or skittish puppy. He's a drama queen!

Is that a personality trait

Is that a personality trait for those big poodles, drama queen? Hee.

I feel your pain Fet,

I feel your pain Fet, frustrating. Hang in there, you're almost in the clear. A few more weeks and you'll be inching your way out there on the roads again. Slow and steady Mama.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test