How to raise money for a fundraiser event?

dmcchesney

Barefooters
Feb 25, 2011
**Disclaimer: I am not trying to solicate money (even tho I want and need to) but I was just wondering how I should go about this to raise some money for the event. I posted this on my fraternity's forum asking them to help with donations. Here is the info on it:

I want to do the Disney World Marathon for Ataxia-Telangiectasia or AT - Imagine a disease that combines the worst symptoms of muscular dystrophy, cerebral palsy, cystic fibrosis, immune deficiencies, and cancer. Children with A-T are usually confined to wheelchairs by age 10 and often do not survive their teens. Because A-T is a multi-system disease, scientists believe that A-T research will help more prevalent diseases such as Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s, AIDS, and cancer.

If I sign up for the race I will need to raise at least $600 for it, I would like to raise more cause the race is $150 for the marathon and $330 of the "Goofy Challenge" or both half and full marathon. Plus the cost of travel, lodging, and food.

So what I was wondering from you guys is, would anyone be willing to donate to this? I don't want to sign up unless I know that I will be able to raise enough.

You can find out more info about AT here:

http://www.atcp.org/page.aspx?pid=588

I raised $6000 for Team in

I raised $6000 for Team in Training last December to go to the Honolulu Marathon. So something like the amount you are looking at is definitely possible. I used a strategy that was facebook and social media heavy as well as a letter writing campaign. Telling my facebook friends to donate was the most effective strategy I found.

Also, you can hold fundraising events. I made a good chunk of change from hosting a beer bust at a local bar. We made $1 off of every drink purchased towards the fundraiser.

If you do decide to work with an organization like this, usually they have fundraising staff to help plan your strategy. So don't feel like you need to be good at doing it right now or anything. Your plan will materialize as you go along. It's amazing how much money you can raise with a little effort.

Oh wow yeah that is a lot!

Oh wow yeah that is a lot! Alright I never even thought about writing letters, I will have to get a hold of my family's address book. I planed on using Facebook as well as asking local businesses and family and friends. I hope I can get the amount needed to do this!

I am jumping into the

I am jumping into the fundraising pool myself too. I posed a similar question to my facebook friends and the response was very positive. I only HAVE to raise $262 for mine and I think I can do that easily just from facebook.

similar situation here: I

similar situation here: I will be the Kalamazoo Area Runners team captain for the Jingle Bell Run this November (Arthritis Foundation) and part of it is fundraising as a team. It's a way off so nobody has really done much with it yet, so I'll be real interested in seeing your strategy and what you learn about fundraising in the meantime ;)

Yeah so far I am getting a

Yeah so far I am getting a hold of friends, family, active brothers and alumni in my fraternity, facebook, and letting writting

THis month's issue of

THis month's issue of Runner's World is about charity running. There is a section on fundraising which you might find useful.

With limited exposure thru

With limited exposure thru work and hitting up very close friends, I was able to raise over $700.00 for the Brain Tumour Research Foundation in about 2 weeks. I have found if you are passionate about the cause that you are raising the funds for, people are much more receptive and like to give.

Good luck and when you get your online fundraising page set up, I am assuming you will have one, you should post it on the BRS site (I think TJ would agree to this because she is awesome that way), and I hope to be one of many that would donate to your cause. ;-)

Bob

Of course, feel free to post

Of course, feel free to post a thread asking for donations and/or a blog post, if you've created a blog yet.

Also, I was going to suggest that some of these charities/charity runs have a site where you can actually set up your own fundraising page. The page allows your contributors to pay through PayPal and make comments and allows you to set up the page to make it personal and create a donations roll call that shows who donated what (if they/you want to share that info). Good luck, DMC! I'm sure you'll do fine.

SareLord- I will have to go

SareLord- I will have to go out and buy the copy, or just read the section in the store! hah

BF Bob- Nice work, I will be asking people at my work as well as the company for help too.

TJ- Alright sweet! That sounds good

I am just scared to register right now I want to wait until I have a few people that say they will donate, because if I don't reach 600 I have to make up the difference plus all the other fees and I don't have the money for that lol

Well I have to register for

Well I have to register for the race first before I can get that website and any print materials. So I need to find out how to get $330 around lol

I will be a donator as well.

I will be a donator as well. I think I can scrape 75 together for a good cause, maybe an even hundred, so fear not! I usually do things things very much under the radar so not expecting any big thanks :) Thanks. I only mentioned it to ease your fear a bit.

John T.

Well I really appreciate

Well I really appreciate it!

Here is the link to visit to donate:

http://www.atcp.org/davidmcchesney

I will make a blog post as well

I will throw some in there as

I will throw some in there as well at the end of the week, you'll be at $600 plus in no time.

DMC - you'll do just fine,

DMC - you'll do just fine, I'm sure of it. Here is the link from the RW article in their July issue

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/1,7120,s6-243-588--13989-0,00.html

best of luck to you - Sara