How much duct tape is still barefoot?

Hmmm, I haven't seen the liquid bandage in a spray. Good to know. The one I have seen is like fingernail polish where you paint it on. Here in The States, I think the Super Glue, Crazy Glue stuff is less expensive.

I wonder if you got some clear (or not) nail polish if it would do the same thing. It smells the same. Maybe not. It doesn't have any glue in it. But maybe if your wound is in a non-weight bearing location...hmmm.

5ELXO_AS01.jpg

I'm going to watch this thread, as I have allergic skin reactions against the gluey parts of bandaids (even the so called hypo allergic ones) and of course any kind of tape. Cracks or wounds of any kind on the feet mean usually "no run" for me but I'm happy to read of any solutions you might have!! :)
I read about superglue as the solution for cracks and tears but, well, I'm not sure I would like o try it out myself. (Besides considering that a tube of superglue is not cheap and you can use it only once, afterwards apparently it dries and obstructs the opening of the tube)

Superglue is a type of thin epoxy resin. Lots of people have allergic reactions to those resins and many people have developed reactions from repeated contact. Take care with it particularly since you are already allergic to the tapes etc.

Superglue is a type of thin epoxy resin. Lots of people have allergic reactions to those resins and many people have developed reactions from repeated contact. Take care with it particularly since you are already allergic to the tapes etc.
Thank you Peter, this is a useful information!!
Now the big question is still: Are liquid bandages the same stuff? Meaning: is there a risk of allergic reaction as well?
Someone used it one me once when I was about 12 years old (=long time ago), at the time it came in a spray (this might have changed since) and I didn't have any reaction - but at the time I didn't yet suffer from allergies ...

We all go on so much about the benefits of natural running so why not the benefits natural healing.
Both are an art that need to mastered with patience and understanding.

Phthalate, Toluene, and Formaldehyde are just a few of the nasties that are in nail polish and should never be applied to an open wound, if you don't believe me look them up.
Super glue in hardware stores is not the same as medical glue, it is methyl based, a skin irritant and not sterile. If you are going to use a glue use the liquid bandage.

Sorry if i sound a little alarmist, but sometimes threads like this can take strange directions when lotions and potions for 'all that ails ya!' are brewed and we all become Alexander Fleming with a limp.

i've used super glue to heal cuts. or i should say cover them while they heal. worked fine. i knew cooks who did it cuz they didn't like band aides and it's cheaper then liquid skin.

Reactions: happysongbird
www.realfirstaid.co.uk/superglue/
All Super Glues are not the same.
"Super Glue" or Cyanoacrylate (CA) is an acrylic resin which rapidly polymerises in the presence of water. The principle component of commercial CAs (SuperGlue, Krazy Glue, Loctite) is either methy-2-cyanoacrylate or ethyl-2-cyanoacrylate ...

During the Vietnam war it was used in field surgery with good effect, however, despite the promising results it was not approved by the Unites States Food and Drug Administration due to the unknown toxicity and two significant side effects during the polymerization process:

The curing process creates an exothermic reaction (heat) which can cause further tissue damage.
The process releases cyanoacetate and formaldehyde - both irritants to the eyes, nose, throat and lungs.

Medical Glue
To overcome these harmful issues, new CAs were developed with the express purpose of use in surgery. 2-octyl cyanoacrylate (Derma+flex® QS™, SurgiSeal, FloraSeal and Dermabond) causes less skin irritation and increased flexibility and strength compared to traditional 'Super Glue'. In 1998 the US FDA approved 2-octyl cyanoacrylate for the closure of wounds and surgical incision and in 2001 was approved as "barrier against common bacterial microbes including certain staphylococci, pseudomonads, and Escherichia coli".

n-butyl cyanoacrylate wound adhesives are available under the trade names: LiquiBand®, Histoacryl, Indermil, GluStitch, GluShield, and Periacryl (dental adhesive)

Octyl ester, while providing a weaker bond, are more flexible. Butyl esters provide stronger bond, but are rigid.

Contraindications
Wound adhesives are generally only used on minor wounds, no more than 5cm and with straight edges. Do not attempt to use glue on the following:
wounds on the face
wounds where the skin flexes or over joints
wounds with uneven or jagged edges
deep wounds
wounds that are bleeding
infected wounds
animal bites
puncture wounds
ulcers
dirty wounds

Conclusion
Using glue to close wounds may have been pioneered 50 years ago and continually perfected clinically ever since as well as an established treatment for climbers, string musicians and garage mechanics around the world...but that doesn't mean it is a panacea.

Given the number of limitations in its use and the issues of liability we would not advise glue is used to treat others. If you choose to use it to treat yourself, do so...with care and full understanding.

If this thread stays open long enough I'm going to market a new product - barefoot tape. Just like other sports tape, but with our special barefeel (tm) technology you'll feel like you're wearing nothing at all!

I actually found an athletic tape through another barefooter's blog that might fit that description - you know, barefoot tape to the general public, minimalist tape to the rest of us... They just need to rename it. :) I ordered some through amazon. http://www.amazon.com/BSN-Medical-L...UTF8&qid=1398179576&sr=8-1&keywords=leukotape

My left foot has been undergoing a process of reconditioning, as I've been addressing some forefoot problems related to a bunion. This is a good thing, as it means that I'm finally able to land properly with my left foot.

Instead of developing calluses in the wrong places such as the edge of the foot and toe, the skin is toughening over the pads. This process caused a small split in the skin over the pad of my big toe.

I have some 3M Transpore tape, which is not particularly sticky, and rips easily. I also have some Gorilla Tape, which I did try, and wrapped a small strip around my toe, like a bandaid.

It was quite effective and did not rip at all. It has quite a strong adhesive, and I removed some of the residual with nail polish remover. It also caused some irritation in the top side of my toe. If I use this in the future, I think that a small square stuck to the bottom of my toe would be sufficient. I would definitely not use this for open wounds, as it is hard to remove.

My left foot has been undergoing a process of reconditioning, as I've been addressing some forefoot problems related to a bunion. This is a good thing, as it means that I'm finally able to land properly with my left foot.

Instead of developing calluses in the wrong places such as the edge of the foot and toe, the skin is toughening over the pads. This process caused a small split in the skin over the pad of my big toe.

I have some 3M Transpore tape, which is not particularly sticky, and rips easily. I also have some Gorilla Tape, which I did try, and wrapped a small strip around my toe, like a bandaid.

It was quite effective and did not rip at all. It has quite a strong adhesive, and I removed some of the residual with nail polish remover. It also caused some irritation in the top side of my toe. If I use this in the future, I think that a small square stuck to the bottom of my toe would be sufficient. I would definitely not use this for open wounds, as it is hard to remove.
Could you copy this Gorilla Tape to a new thread in the Gear & Footwear forum so it doesn't get buried here, Sid?

Could you copy this Gorilla Tape to a new thread in the Gear & Footwear forum so it doesn't get buried here, Sid?
I apologize for not elaborating. Gorilla Tape is a superstrong duct tape, which is why I tacked it onto the end of this thread. It's probably not appropriate for use on human skin, and likely strips off several layers of skin when removed. The fact that I had to use nail polish remover, gives some indication of how strong the adhesive is.
http://www.gorillaglue.com/tapes.aspx

I feel a bit reassured that I'm not the only one with dry cracked heels. That said, I thought that I'd give a try using a moisturizer. I had some Neutrogena hand cream, and it seems to have helped a lot! Barefoot and moisturized!

This. There is something to be said to addressing the problem, rather than just the symptoms. I've had cracking problems before, and fixed them by moisturizing my foot, like Sid, and by using a pumice bar to sand down my calluses after I take a shower.

Reactions: Sid