How much better are the Luna Sandals than my crappy homemade huaraches really?

saypay45

Chapter Presidents
May 24, 2010
On just about every huarache thread, I usually indicate my displeasure for huaraches. I made a pair using bailer belt and some athletic shoelace material and I absolutely loath them. My three biggest problems: 1) I can't get and keep the lace tight enough so that the shoe doesn't flop around, 2) the fit sucks (although that's probably my fault while cutting them out), and 3) the bailer belt material is not the best for grip and foot feel.

So are any of these problems solved by these Luna sandals? They only come in a couple of sizes, so I figure fitting your foot might be problematic. Also, I've heard good and bad things about leather for the lace material.

Any thoughts? I really would like to be a believer in huaraches because it's so dang hot outside lately, which makes barefooting hard and wearing shoes harder.

I would say 100% better,

I would say 100% better, please don't be offended:) But seriously think about the person (Barefoot Ted) who is making them. He is a true craftsman, and takes his work extremely serious. I have heard nothing but positive reviews about the Luna's. They are a bit over-priced for me at the moment, someday when I have some extra money I am definitely getting a pair.

I read on facebook that Ted's Luna company is moving into it's own commercial space, good for Ted.

Of course I'm not offended

Of course I'm not offended livebyfaith! My huaraches are crap. No question.

I have just had tremendous trouble with them because they wiggle all over my feet when I run. I haven't made it more than a couple of feet in them without throwing them off in a fit of rage.

I just don't want to drop $70 on sandals if I'm going to have the same issues.

I totally hear you about the

I totally hear you about the fitting! You can always email Ted and ask him some questions, I did and he was so helpful and quick to respond.

I am going to venture into the Huarache world as well, but I am going to order a pair from http://www.invisibleshoe.com/ I am going to spend the extra money and have them custom made, I don't trust my skills to do it myself.

These will be my winter footwear for the winter, with injinji socks. Snow, rain and sleet I will have to go with my KSO's

I may have to go the same

I may have to go the same route over the winter for only those days that dip below 27 degrees F. Does Ted make ladies sizes? How is he with returns? I mean if he makes them himself, and I don't order a kit, but order the ones he makes, won't he take them back if I try them on, and they don't work for me? I have time to type this here, but no time to actually have this discussion with him. Pitiful, I know.

I just don't want to drop $70

I just don't want to drop $70 on sandals if I'm going to have the same issues.

This was my main concern prior to my purchase. The craftsmanship is outstanding. Outstanding as in worth $70? Doubtful but it is also doubtful that I'd be able to whip something up as nice as a pair of Lunas.

I have dealt with tethering issues as well. The "Roman" method does not work for me when running on trails since things loosen up and then the back strap falls off the achilles. I also ended up with some sores from the final knot rubbing on the top of the foot. I suppose this tie method would work just fine if you were running on a relatively flat surface.

Last week I retied them in the "Slip-On" method and made it through a nice long run with no worries. I ended up with a small blister on the inside of the 2nd toe from the lace rubbing but it was no big deal.

I have only been wearing these on my weekend long runs and opting to go bare* on the shorter mid-week runs but I guess if I can survive a few more long runs without having to cinch them up I'll consider the slip-on method a success.

*I may have to reconsider this since summer is finally coming to San Diego and it is getting hot during my lunch time runs.

Bragger!  August brings

Bragger! August brings summer temps! Pttth!

I haven't seen Teds Luna's so

I haven't seen Teds Luna's so I can't say anything about the quality other than they look great. I have had trouble with the toe strap, leather or whatever between the toes. Leather seemed to be hard between the toes and stretched bad when wet and dried hard, Cord seems better but still rubs the right foot more than it should, the left is perfect.

I wonder if maybe the holes are in the wrong places and although Ted is "a true craftsman" I believe you are responsible for popping the holes, tying the leather and that might be an issue. My thought is that regardless of the sole material, the hole placement and the tying style is going to make or break the huaraches. I am going to move the side holes back 1/2 inch and see if that stops the feeling that my foot is being driven into the to strap and pinched each step.

I agree Lava, I have a hard

I agree Lava, I have a hard time thinking that Lunas will be a great fit for everyone since the hole placement is at an "average position for the population".

BTW, whatever happened to BFwillie_g? He made some killer huaraches. I'll buy a pair from him before giving Ted my money.

My huarache experience-

My huarache experience- I made my own pair out of an old pair of aqua socks and leather boot laces:

42aa1e8f-38f9-4ba9-99b3-9da52a1dc343.Medium.jpg

They were horrible. The sole was too floppy; the laces cut me to Hell.

Next was a pair of invisibleshoe huaraches:

huarache+resized.jpg

The quality is better, and performance increased. I have worn these for a 10 mile run at 7:30 pace, a 68 mile run on crushed limestone, and the last 2/3 of of the Burning River 100 miler. I used Injinjis for the two long runs. They performed marvelously. It DID take some time to get the tying right as I had a tendency to tie them too tight.

Next- the Lunas:

lunas+back+quarter.jpg

The quality is better than the invisbileshoe version, and they are more comfortable. I owe this to the suede footbed. I have worn them as a casual sandal and love them. Since I've been tapering, racing, or recovering since getting them, I've only managed a 5 mile run. The left performed perfectly, but I tied the right too tightly. After I finish my string of races, I will put these to a few good tests. Right now, I would rank the Lunas as the best huarache option available. If you can get a kit cheaper, do it. They are easy to make (once you have the right materials).

I've really fallen in love with huaraches for a variety of reasons. First, they are the only shoes that provide protection AND don't interfere with foot function assuming they are tied correctly. Second, when combined with Injinjis, they are ideal for long runs. The socks provide protection from the inevitable rubbing that occurs over long distances. Also, they dry incredibly fast. In the 100 miler, the socks would get soaked in the stream crossings. Within a mile, they were bone-dry. The same ventilation advantage holds true with sweat. Not having to worry about moisture gives these a HUGE advantage over VFFs, EVOs, MT100s, or the other popular minimalist shoes.

Thanks Jason!  Your post is

Thanks Jason! Your post is very helpful. I'm thinking I should just go for it. If nothing else, I have a good pair of casual sandals for everyday use.

Jason, have you had any

Jason, have you had any trouble with pain between the toes or ideas how to eliminate.

I made my own but used the same materials that Ted and Invisible Shoes uses. Cord and leather straps and Vibram 4mm Cherry sole material. Even when walking I feel like the toe strap is pinching the bottom of the foot between the toes. Loosen up and it is floppy, tighten and it gets worse. I moved the holes back on the sides but no love, still the same. I even resorted to tying the huaraches with my toes curled under to increase the length of the toe strap but no good. I am pretty much frustrated with them and would never shell out that much cash unless I knew they would be comfy.

Lava, The trick is to use

Lava,

The trick is to use the looped part that pulls the "in between the big toe and second toe" toward the medial side of the foot. The result- the cord between the toes should be parallel to the metatarsals. This crappy picture will surely make the explanation even more confusing:

fb3d428d-3e81-4e61-9186-96ee536a8bfa.Medium.jpg

I received my Luna Sandals

I received my Luna Sandals just a few days ago. I purchased the suede top version with both the leather and the hemp strings. After initial testing I found that the hemp stayed secure while the leather seemed to loosen after a few miles. I pulled the string over as shown in Jason's superb drawing, and had no problems with anything rubbing.

So after a few days and about 15 miles I am very happy with the quality and craftsmanship of these sandals, I would recommend the Hemp strings based on my limited experience.

Are they worth the 70 bucks? Yes

Could I make a pair of the same quality? Yes, after scrapping out the first 10 pairs as I learned how to do it properly.

Chris

All the satisfied huarche

All the satisfied huarche wearers on the forums has me curious...particularly Jason's incredibly long runs in them. But I must admit, I'm still quite skeptical about them for myself.

BF Zumba Runner posted a link to someone on Etsy.com that makes a similar huarache that's far more affordable than Luna or Invisible shoe. May be a good introduction for those of us that are unsure about Huaraches? Anyone tried these yet?

http://www.etsy.com/listing/45751954/huarache-minimalist-sandals

I refuse to delete your post,

I refuse to delete your post, SayPay. I like to make you squirm...in a kilt.

Welcome back, Joel.

Jason, hysterical. I don't know why, but that drawing just cracks me up, and I can't stop laughing. I got the giggles! I keep laughing and laughing, and I don't even know why. At least you didn't draw it with Morton's Toe. Thanks for that!

A couple bonuses with the

A couple bonuses with the injinji socks... When the Lunas with suede get wet, they tend to be a bit slippery. Pairing them with injinji socks helps out with this. Also, the strap that rests on the achilles may slip and the injinjis help keep it in place a bit better.

LOL, I love the drawing too,

LOL, I love the drawing too, Jason. Should I be concerned if my big toe does NOT have a pointy tumor growing out of the top? ;-)

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS

Latest posts